Budget 41-50k Slim and light laptop for browsing and movie

Not to hijack the thread but even I'm looking for a Laptop for light usage and leaning towards the Lenovo E14 Thinkpad (with Ryzen 4500U) or the MI 14" Notebook.

@xkcd0137 : Your detailed replies and input in this thread is much appreciated and very helpful. Thank-you!

Found two informative YT video for a pre-buying research purpose and for the sake of this original thread, I included it under spoiler tab

I find the MSI Modern quite good, the reviews are good too. But worrying about support.
I think you can go for the MSI if you avail the max extended warranty and there is a service centre in your city and check its reviews on Google atleast. Check out these comment thread -

Seems like they have okayish service in Bangalore.

Last edited:
For a lightweight and sleek laptop, check new Dell Inspiron series on Dell official website.
They currently have 10% cashback and warranty extension offer running.
And they are equipped with latest 11th gen mobile CPU, i5 1135g7 performs better than i7 1065G7 according to benchmarks on internet.

I recently bought LG Gram i7 for me and after a month Dell Inspiron i5 (11th gen) for a friend.

Dell is in no way inferior and getting LG gram i7 at deal price looks impossible now.

I think you can go for the MSI if you avail the max extended warranty and there is a service centre in your city and check its reviews on Google atleast. Check out these comment thread -

Seems like they have okayish service in Bangalore.
I'll be based in Delhi or Kolkata for next 3-4 years hopefully. The support part is worrying.

I'll be based in Delhi or Kolkata for next 3-4 years hopefully. The support part is worrying.
After going through specs and few reviews, two things are better in this one than the Thinkpad -
1) Weight - easy 400 gms lighter - which is your first priority.
2) Better display - Though sRGB coverage is similar, MSI's display is much brighter at 350 nits

..but then there are two shortcomings as well
1) a premium of ₹5k over thinkpad, which is justified imo
2) Service support - as you'll be based in Delhi or Kolkata, there should be service centres at both places. Check their review once on Google. Take the max extended warranty.

IMO, MSI's bad reviews are due to scant number of service centres. In case anything faults, you have to be vigil and pursue them on Twitter or coordinate with the MSI Rep on Reddit etc to get the issue resolved and it may take a month to sort out, at worst.

..but then its your call if you are ready to face the music if anything goes south. Otherwise, you should only stick to HP, Dell or Asus.

Lenovo would be similar to MSI too but I bought the Thinkpad coz there was no better option in my budget and I am prepared to face the music when time comes. :p

Last edited:
Check out the Avita Liber V14. I was looking for a slim and light laptop in October, and after checking various options, decided to take a chance with the brand and get this one.
I got it in October for 25k (Price on Amazon at the time was 37,990 - Got 11k exchange discount and another 2k with the HDFC cashback offer). Seems they've increased the price
as its currently listed at 46k though.

It ticks all the boxes for basic usage: Core i5 10th Gen, 8gb Ram, 512gb Ssd (Ram and SSD not upgradable), 1.25kg metal build, USB C and regular charging, Backlit keyboard, micro sd slot
and a very good Full HD Ips display (I had a Lenovo G5080 and the display on the Avita is miles ahead). Been using it for 3 months on a daily basis now and have only had one issue. If set to hibernate and kept to charge overnight, and if the charging cable is removed before switching it on, the battery shows as 0%, and after 30secs to a min, it shows as 100%. Im based in Mumbai
and called their service reps (they came after a week saying there are delays due to Covid) and after checking it, offered to replace the battery. I continued using it and noticed the issue only
happens when it hibernates and I start it after disconnecting the plug so didnt bother to have them change the battery as it doesnt really inconvenience me at all. Not sure if this is an issue on
all or only on my specic laptop. Battery life is also very good as it easily lasts 8-9 hours with light usage. Probably something to seriously consider if you can get it at 38k or under (Even better
if you can avail of the exchange offer).

Edit: Comes with default 18 months warranty and 24 months on registering with them.
Charging is pretty slow. Takes about 3.5 hours for a full charge.
Has a micro hdmi port instead of full size hdmi port.
Finger print sensor is very good.
Speakers are very average.
Havent tried the webcam so cant comment on that.

Last edited:
If possible increase your budget slightly and get the Gram, seriously underrated laptop. Really light and dependable.
Stay away from the E series ThinkPad. They are just consumer grade laptops with ThinkPad branding.
Unless they have made significant changes in the latest models, personally would stay away from them.

Last edited:
Bought a Acer Swift 5, Intel i5, 10th gen, 8GB, 512gb ssd with touch screen. The laptop is quite good. Weighing at 990 gm the display has good brightness. Build looks like plastic but it's made of magnesium aluminium alloy. Battery life is claimed at 12 hours, not tested yet.keyboard is decent. Bought from a local store for 65k. The first one I bought yesterday had some issue with wifi card. Today I went there and explained, the product was tested and instantly replaced with a new one. I was greatly impressed as this was my very few offline purchases related to IT/mobile etc.

Back