CPU/Mobo Slow boot times with Skylake platform?

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Anyone else on TE facing slow boot times with their Skylake CPUs/mobos, especially after recent BIOS updates?

When I'd earlier bought my ASUS H-170 Pro mobo the BIOS POST speed was fast and Windows loaded up quick (around 10 seconds or less) but nowadays with latest BIOS updates the "POST" itself is slow.

BIOS updates just mention "improve system stability" in the release notes.

Searching online many folks facing the same issue (not specific to ASUS) - I just wanted to check whether anyone else on TE face the same problem?

I'm suspecting the mobo makers or maybe Intel CPU microcode update sets the clocks to 10x slower during bootup before jumping into "long mode" or 64bit operation.

Just came across your post & well basically just set up a brand new 6600k build with the VIII Hero & it was one of the first things I noticed. Even with the EVO 850 SSD & 16GB DDR4 the boot for Win7 64bit felt ages slower than what I had on my V Gene with 8 GB DDR3 RAM and corsair SSD..

But then again I'm also thinking I'm another one stuck with BIOS RAM compatibility issue since the Hero isn't able to boot with XMP enabled for my 2666 rated speeds on the LPX kit... Arrgh

Well well, trying the latest BIOS version 1803 released a few days ago seems to have MUCH improved my boot up speed, the comment in the download just says "improve system stability" in the release area, but @mach9 why don't you try the latest BIOS on your board too? I'm a happy camper now :)

Well well, trying the latest BIOS version 1803 released a few days ago seems to have MUCH improved my boot up speed, the comment in the download just says "improve system stability" in the release area, but @mach9 why don't you try the latest BIOS on your board too? I'm a happy camper now :)

Does it match your original boot times?

I didn't measure it but seems to be the same (around 10 seconds or less) as far as I can tell. Right now I have the GRUB bootloader for linux dual boot as well.

Back