Budget 0-20k small form factor PC for parents

silverbyte

Disciple
Questions
  1. What is your budget?
    • 15k (including OS + MS office)
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - 15 inch
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - 15 inch
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard. APU is acceptable.
    • NO GPU
    • PSU - something decent. a little above the default PSU that comes, but not too expensive
    • 4GB RAM
    • Small Form Factor - would be great if possible. Not strictly mandatory
    • Not more than 250GB HDD. Unnecessary.
    • Looking for something that is silent, compact and power-efficient. It doesnt need to be too powerful. Parents are coming right now from severely underpowered EeePC.
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Final.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai - will be great if there are recommendations of assemblers who will assemble and deliver it.
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No.
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - 1440x900
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit
    • Linux - Ubuntu

Licensed version of windows plus office costs >15k.

Have you considered buying basic laptop without os on it?

Licensed version of windows plus office costs >15k.

Have you considered buying basic laptop without os on it?
correct - I'm definitely not including the cost of a personal license in my request (which is why I also mentioned Ubuntu).

However, I am also looking for OEMs who can build this with an OEM license in Mumbai. But again, that is a hopeful wish !

Even an OEM license costs around 5-6k for windows 8 alone.
Just buy one of those low end laptops costing around 16k from flipkart and install Ubuntu or debian on it. Open office is a great alternative to MS office for free.

@6pack - thanks for the comment. Do you mean that a 16k laptop will be similarly specced as a small form factor CPU (without a monitor cost) ? Just curious to know.
Let's shelve the OS consideration for now.

No it won't be similar. I was going through the laptops on offer and most have some shortcomings or the other. Most have just 2Gb ram and single slots. And processors are either Pentium, celerons, 3rd Gen dual cores or old amd chip sets. And most are priced upwards of 18k now.
The good laptops are priced around 23k now.

For a small form factor pc:
You can get a good atom based mini board for around 5k plus 1-2k for chassis with psu. 1k for mouse and keyboard. That leaves you around 7k in which you can get a 19" monitor only. 500Gb Hdd and 4Gb ram = around 6k imo. Total of 21k.

The all in one PC's (with pc and monitor combined) cost more than this I believe.

I don't know if we can compare between laptop and a comp though. Each have their advantages and disadvantages.

@6pack - actually I dont need to buy monitor. as I mentioned in my original post, I'm not looking to buy new monitor. The cost that I'm looking for is somewhere close to 10k (but can go to 15k in a pinch) and does not include monitor, mouse or keyboard. I'm just looking for the assembled box.

Back