Monitors Small sized Touch Screen LCDs- Are they available?

superczar

Skilled
I am planning to pick up a small size Touch Screen LCD, preferably 7"...

Is anyone aware of their availability in India, specifically Chennai..If yes, any idea where and how much....

Or should I wait it out and get it from the US :huh:

Hmm..Thanks !

Aree these guys dependable though?

The only payment method available is DD/Cheque

and even the phone number on the site seems incorrect:

Make Payable To: iRide Technologies

Send To:

iRide Tehcnologies

104 A, Vora Plaza, Navghar, Vasai (E),

Mumbai 401210

Maharashtra, India

Phone : 0250/95250 - 2390591

I remember seeing a thread in team-bhp regarding a carpc built. Someone had purchased stuff from iride. May be LBM could help.

edit: the number is 0250-2391716. and is correct

the lcd's that attach with the vcd/dvd players in the cars....can they be attached to a PC??what input do they have?

they can be had for fairly cheap, but they aren't touchscreens

Anyway, I'll spill the beans here...I am planning to setup a small PC in my Corsa with the screen mounted to the dash...needless to say it has to be a touchscreen coz I can't (obviously) use a mouse while driving....

At this point, it is just an idea but the more i think about it, the more interesting it seems..

I guess i"ll create a fresh thread on it, but before I do that, i need to make sure i can source a touchscreen...

I spoke to the iride guys, and they seem to be fairly knowledgeable..the screen that they recommended is basically a Liliput 629GL whichthey source from the OEM in Taiwan...

The US price for the screen is ~$280 while they quoted 11300 with 1 yr warranty so buying it here probably makes more sense...

any other options that I have?

That actually sounds like a good deal.

What OS are you planning on running on that carputer? There are some good linux customised distros, or MCE. XP/other windoze is basically useless you run an application on top that does everything and has large enough buttons and textures to be seen on a 7" screen.

Nice project, let us know how it goes.

The other interface possibility is tablets, the biggest problem with a car PC is that you will *have* to look at the screen, even if it is a touchscreen. And that is a recipe for an accident. It is not tactile in nature, you can't feel your way around the face without looking at it, and hope to hit the right button.

A small USB keyboard or MCE with a remote might be nice, and it's large enough to double as a weapon to use during those moments of road rage.

What OS are you planning on running on that carputer?

too early to comment, but am planning to using a leaned up version of XP..basicallyi'll remove all that i don't need using nlite....

I can always run a wrapper with a nice GUI on top of that...again, this is something i need to research....

As of now, the big qstns I have are:

- LCD: the iride deal looks good

- PSU: Need to research this...I can look at the iride options, or run a DC- AC inverter (i already have a 150W setup) and feed it back to a regular SMPS...inefficient though...else i can look at the PSUs from Opus which I can get from the US

- Proccy & mobo The big question...I don't have a space constraint, so I don't need to necessarily stick to Mini ITX...I am not very confident that the silly Via Nehemiah/C3 will give me snappy performance...

Having said that, I also need to locate a proccy/mobo combo that is low on power needs, am planning to open up a separate thread on this

It is not tactile in nature, you can't feel your way around the face without looking at it, and hope to hit the right button.

A small USB keyboard or MCE with a remote might be nice, and it's large enough to double as a weapon to use during those moments of road rage.

True, but where do i mount a small Keyboard :(

Run MCE and Use MCE remote :D. I guess you'll be using it mostly for listening to music and other stuff...

That remote i believe isn't infrared based...So you need not point it in the direction either...

Or you can wait for the Vista MCE and get one of those Vista Mce remotes with a mini display. Judging by how much you spend for such stuff, I guess the computer will be powerful enough to handle it ;)...

nice.. i was in the process of doing this a couple of yrs ago..but coudnt source a touch screen here..thanx. might restart this project :p

Back