Car & Bike Solo biking: Pune to Bengaluru in 18 hours

Aladdin

Adept
A first-hand account of an avid biker who drove 800 km in a single day's journey.

07image3.jpg

A friend from school was getting married in Cochin and having his wedding reception in Bengaluru. It seemed like a great opportunity to catch up with my friends and also try out something I hadn't done before -- biking from my house in Pune to Bengaluru.

The two cities are about 800 km apart and I wanted to cover the distance in one go without taking a night halt. It seemed doable as after some research I discovered that there was this one fellow who had done this trip, though by car. He'd covered the distance between Mumbai and Bengaluru in 15 hours.

On a bike from Pune, I hoped to cover the same distance in about 18-19 hours.

The reception was on December 13. I left my Pune home a little before 1 am on December 11, this of course after picking some fruits to have on the way and after having had my bike checked by the mechanic.

The National Highway Number 4 is pretty smooth and for most part is a four-lane road. So I was expecting a smooth ride. But the headlights of the vehicles coming from the opposite direction were blinding. After much contemplation, I decided to pull out my glares and wear them despite the fact that it can get somewhat uncomfortable. After a while, with the SUVs and cars were zipping past me at over 100 kmph I discovered I had to get a little more innovative. That is when I decided to follow the trucks that were driving at about 60 kmph -- the speed I was averaging in any case.

I took a five minute-break every hour and half or two to relieve myself and resumed the journey. The backpack that was fastened tightly to the pillion seat was helpful as it proved to be a good backrest as well.

I crossed Satara, which is about 100-120 km from Pune in two hours and I decided to next halt directly at Kolhapur. As I went along, I encountered several toll stations, which were the only parts that were brightly lit on the highway at that ungodly hour.

After I crossed Satara my speed also reduced a little as the trucks were also not moving too fast, I overtook many and finally decided to follow one that was going pretty fast. Here I was driving at about 80 kmph. It was cold and windy but I was determined to follow it because I wanted to gain on lost time.

It was about 3 am and I was maintaining a distance of about 25 meters from the truck. Suddenly strange things started happening as I began to see apparitions. I realised that this was mist, dust and light playing games. Either way, it was quite distracting. At times I thought I saw some animal ahead of me, but again there was nothing, this was a pretty novel experience for me.

Finally, at around 4.30 am, I reached Kolhapur, which is about 220 odd km from Pune. It was a good achievement and I was hoping to reach Bengaluru by 4 pm. Little did I know what lay ahead of me.

By 6 am, I had crossed the Maharashtra-Karnataka border and was hoping that the sun would rise -- I was getting somewhat tired of riding in the cold weather. At around 6.30 I had a guava I was carrying and realised how much grime and dust had settled all over my face and mouth.

The sun rose around 6.45 am and for the first time in my journey I began to see people on bikes. I refuelled a little ahead and soon I was zipping past Nipani, Bagewadi, then Dharwad and Hubli on the smooth road. The night journey had taken its toll on me and I was beginning to feel sleepy. The wind was strong and I couldn't go beyond 80 kmph.

Sometime later -- I do not recollect where exactly -- the four-lane highway soon turned into a two-lane road. To make matters worse, the road was dug up and there were diversions and potholes. Needless to say this reduced my speed drastically. But at the same time I was also thanking my stars that I hadn't encountered this patch during the night. Still I was hoping to reach Bengaluru by 6.30 pm. But the road was under construction and the village traffic comprising tractors, bullock carts also slowed me down. I entered a small town called Ranibennur and was wondering if I was on the right path. Assured that I was I moved on.

Ranibennur is something of a cross between a village and a city. It was refreshing to see the small town college and school and reminded me of the ones I always see when I bike down to the Konkan coast of Maharashtra.

The NH-4 highway is great in most part. But at times it can be quite a pain. Nonetheless it takes nothing away from the scenic countryside views -- farms, little dams, small hills, sun-kissed barren land, small rivulets, sunflower plantations, village huts are an absolute pleasure to see. Then came Chitradurga, which has a lot of windmills. It made for a great picture for sure but I was on a mission. Besides windmills are not really new to me because I have seen quite a few at Satara. The ones at Chitradurga though dwarfed the latter.

Soon after, the two-lane-under-construction-road became a smooth four-lane one and I was able to drive at about 80-90 kmph.

I crossed Hiriyur and decided to take a pit stop at Sira, which was about 100 km from Bengaluru. Here I refuelled and discovered that I was about 150 km away from the main city of Bengaluru. It was about 4.30 pm and I was hoping to make it before sundown.

A few hundred meters down the road I saw a sign that read 'Bangalore 100 km'. I thought it would be a good place to take picture of my achievement. Here I must have lost about 20 minutes. So by the time I was on the outskirts of the city the sun had already set. It wasn't particularly exciting to drive after sundown twice during the same journey.

By 8 pm though I was at Yashwantpur station after battling the crazy Bengaluru traffic. After much difficulty I found the directions to my friend's place and heaved something of a sigh of relief. I had some beer on the first day. On the second day was the big reception where I had my fill and slept off the third day.

On December 15, I left Bengaluru at around 1 am for my return journey. By 7.30 pm I was back home in Pune.

Source

One of my friends traveled from Pune to Delhi for the Auto Expo on a Haybusa GX1300R and a CB1000R, swapping the bikes in between. They took ~2 days to reach :p.

adhish.jpg

and yeah those are wet roads ! Insane stuff , isn't it ? that's his job :O.

linuxtechie said:
Did he do all this without a helmet? It kinda felt so reading that way. If he did, I totally disapprove.

+LT

No i dont think he did without helmet. Check out the pic, near the milestone below the helmet is kept. This guy is from my company (as in i dont own it :p) and had posted this writeup couple of weeks back on the company's internal bulliten board. :)

FaH33m said:
One of my friends traveled from Pune to Delhi for the Auto Expo on a Haybusa GX1300R and a CB1000R, swapping the bikes in between. They took ~2 days to reach :p.
adhish.jpg

and yeah those are wet roads ! Insane stuff , isn't it ? that's his job :O.

those bike rock kick asss stuff... :hap2: vroooomm vroommm:p

Ok Guys here is the complete write up for those who have time to read

Hope this email finds you all in the best of spirit for countdown for the New Year=2010. I am just back from the longest bike ride which I have ever done and incidentally this one was a solo one too. The ride was from Pune to Bangalore a.k.a Bengaluru totaling 1600kms, something I can brag about a little at least  Another highlight of the ride was that I did Pune to Bangalore in a single day without any overnight halt (I started at 1am in the morning = for some people night and reached at 20:00hrs at night or evening) which took around 18 hrs and came back also in the same fashion in a single day after spending 3 days at Bangalore.

Am typing a trip log after a long time, so sit back and enjoy the ride with me as I re-live this once in a lifetime ride again in words through memories.

How it all began:
This year =2009 , I did not do much of biking and trekking, but this Diwali before I went home to Nagpur, I got my Yamaha RXZ redone – meaning some painting, some parts changed, new tires etc and hence wanted to ride like old days again and was also looking for some ROI = return on investment for the money I spent on my beloved bike refurbishing it like a girl before her wedding  and just as a newlywed bride usually wears red at least in India, co-incidentally my bike is also reddish-maroon in color just like the bride !!
It just so happened that one of my very old school buddies from Goa( where I spent a few fantastic schooling years) , told me that he was getting married( I guessed at Goa), but to my disappointment , he said at Cochin. Well I asked him why not Goa? Gopi (his name is Gopidas), replied calmly, that’s because the girl is from Cochin. I congratulated him but I surely was not going to Cochin. A few days later I happened to see the scanned e-card Gopi sent, which was an invite for his wedding off course, but as I scrolled, something caught my eye. The card said, wedding at Cochin, but the reception was at Bangalore and from then on my mind began chasing the thought of biking down for my first maiden visit to Bangalore from Pune for good old Gopi’s wedding reception.

But prior to biking down straight to Bangalore, I decided to go in a for a short test ride to a spot or two in the Konkan and eventually took the familiar Tamini ghat route and did the beaten path of Murud-zanzira(island sea fort), then bikes were put in a boat and we crossed over the creek and then spent the night having beer and chicken at Diveagar beach. I had Mustabin Khan who was another fellow rider with me for this trip. Next day we went to Harihareshwar and luck was on our side, I saw dolphins for the third time in Konkan but was my first sighting of these wonderful creatures at Harihareshwar during my third trip there. Here we did 420 odd kms which included ghats, curves , basically good, bad and no roads and hence I got more convinced that I could do the 800km stretch of Bangalore easily as I had heard that the NH4 or Pune-Bang highway is really good and had earlier done about 150kms on NH4 , so had seen for myself that the road is a good four laner one and conducive for such a long ride.

I told a few guys that I plan to do this ride alone and as usual nobody was impressed except for my friend Mandar, who again happens to be an old pal from my schooling days at Goa. Mandar was now based at Bangalore, and he really convinced and backed me to bike down those 800kms and said that it would be a good once in a lifetime experience. The guts were totally mine, but the supporting driving force was from Mandar. One of my buddies –Pritam said that if I do more than 500kms in a day then he would enter my name in the Limca book of records  and boy did I surprise him and make him eat his words leading to heavy indigestion .I just googled for Pune- Bangalore roadmap and came across some sites where people had posted their experiences of driving down from Mumbai or Pune to Bangalore. However all these were car trips and were done with an overnight halt and they did not interest me as I did not find a single biking experience. But one fellow had done Mumbai to Bangalore in a day in his car and his post attracted me, he said that he had started from Mumbai at 1am and reached Yeshwantpur station in Bangalore at 16:00pm on the same day. After going through his account I decided that I could start at 1am from Pune and reach Bangalore the same day by at least 20:00pm or 21:00pm latest. God was kind and my bike was great and exactly this happened.

Plans frozen- time for actual run:
Gopi’s wedding reception was on 13th Dec , I decided to start on Friday the 11th of December at 1am(dawn or early early morning or night-whatever you would prefer) and reach on Friday itself by night. I went to office on Thursday, took some printout of Maps and attended for little over half a day and came back home by afternoon i.e. around 15:00hrs. The plan was to pick up some stuff = basically Bhakawadis for Mandar and my Nissan project team mates at Infy Bangalore, but Chitale’s shop was shut till 4pm, so I decided to fill up petrol and air first and then visit Chitale’s. After this was done I bought two cans of 2T oil or side oil used in old 2 strokes bikes like mine and also luckily the mechanic detected that some screw in the engine was a little loose , hence the engine oil was also leaking . So after emptying a can of engine oil and 2T oil, my bike was all set to burn some rubber.

I also bought some guavas, bananas and peanuts to eat when ever and where ever I stopped during the course of my journey.
It was around 5.30pm, I got a little delayed at the mechanic’s place but it was worth it. Then I decided to sleep till 10-11pm, so that will be fresh when I start at 1am. Somehow I could not really sleep like a baby and one of my aunt’s calls woke me up at 7.30pm, I told her about my plan and she advised me to start at 5am instead of 1am and be careful etc. I decided then to get out of bed and pack my bag. Clothes, water, guavas, peanuts, extra 2T oil can , goggles, camera, bhakarwadis, mango burfi, toothbrush , mobile charger etc, they all went in and fitted neatly in my bag. I kept aside the rope which I had bought to tie my bag on the pillion seat and also thought of additionally tying a chain with a lock to my bag (normally used to tie the luggage in trains ), as this would ensure that the bag would remain fixed to the bike even if the rope get untied. The gloves which I had newly bought keeping this ride in mind were also kept prominently aside. Call it being a little superstitious or whatever, I decided to wear the same set of clothes which I had worn during the last ride (washed off course) as I had no trouble then and the trip went off smoothly.
The packing took an hour and I again decided to sleep for an hour or two. Finally I locked the house at 12.40am (Friday), and proceeded for one of the most important job which was to tie the bag securely on the pillion seat and left Kothrud @ Pune at around 12.50am and touched NH4 in a few minutes flat as it just 3kms from my place.
As I rode on the highway, it did not take me long to realize that I would have to be careful of the blinding lights from vehicles coming in the opposite direction (this despite the fact that it was a 4 lane highway). I had to open the visor of the helmet as the tinted glass had some scratches and reflected light (courtesy vehicles from opposite side) in all directions which made it difficult to see objects/vehicles, cows, dogs etc on the road ahead but after this dust started entering my browny eyes ,as if they were a dustbin did that did not help either. I finally stopped around 35kms from Pune as the, dust was too much to handle for my eyes and I felt like scratching them again and again and removed my shades. I had bought them during my work trip in Australia and discovered on coming to India that they could be used for night driving as they cut a big percentage of light from the opposite side in the city atleast. One might be tempted to ask as to why did this bright spark not hit me earlier as I am no novice to biking and night rides, well, it’s because the stick of the shades rubs against the earlobes with the helmet put on, this causes irritation to the skin of the ear, so was just trying to avoid this situation as far as possible. Now I again proceeded with the glares on and helmet visor open, and it was much better, the dust problem was solved and I could see where I was heading. It was already cold, very breezy and getting colder by the minute; I was doing a speed of around 50-70kmph. Again it did not take long to realize that I was the only 2 wheeler on the bike at that godforsaken hour of the day/night , the rest were all trucks, buses, tempos, suv’s and cars. The car’s and suv’s were zipping at around 100kmph followed by the buses. I was glad that at least the trucks were not zipping and I had them for company as I overtook several trucks on the way. Slowly I discovered that the goggles were also not helping cent percent as the intensity of blinding light from the vehicles on the opposite site was enough to generate solar power to light up the entire highway, but at least my eyes were dust free. That’s when I decided to do something, I began following any truck which was right in front of me, this way the blinding light was avoided as I had an elephant of a truck ahead of me to block it and I could safely accelerate behind the truck as I knew nothing else was in between me and the truck, this strategy worked beautifully for me during the night drive. If a truck was going too slow for my liking I would overtake it and continue till I found another one ahead of me which was like finding Sachin tendulkar’s fans in india. The trucks usually went at around 60-70kmph and I following them was also around the same speed, so I would call that a safe speed for night driving. The road was pretty straight and all I had to do was keep my forehands fixed to the handle. I took a few 5-10mins halts every one and half or two hours to empty my body’s water tank and stretch a little. Oh yes, I thing I would definitely like to specially mention, I was worried that my back and shoulders joints would need replacement after this ride, but to my surprise I was going great guns, and this I immediately discovered was due the fact of the bag which acted as a back rest on the pillion seat. I crossed Satara which is about 100-120kms from Pune in 2 hours and I decided to next halt directly at Kolhapur. As I went along, I encountered several toll booths which were the only patches which were brightly lit on the highway at that ungodly hour so that the toll booth money collectors see the color of money correctly. I used to halt for 2 minutes sometimes at these booths for some stretching and then again hunt for another truck in whose shadow I could follow. After I crossed Satara , my speed also reduced a little, the trucks were also not moving too fast, I overtook many and finally decided to follow a truck which was going pretty fast , I touched speeds of 80kmph and it was bloody cold and windy , but I was determined to be with this trucky guy and it was courtesy him that I began to gain on lost time. During this time it was pitch dark and was around 3am and I was keeping a distance of around 25metres from this trucky guy and then some strange things began to happen. I thought I was seeing apparitions or ghosts or spirits in the 25 meter space which was between me and this truck. I guess those images or figures were caused as a result of the mixing of mist, dust and light from my vehicle’s headlamp, but whatever it was, it was pretty distracting as I braked on several occasions thinking something was ahead of me, but in fact there was nothing. At times I thought I saw some animal ahead of me, but again there was nothing, this was a pretty novel experience for me. Finally I reached Kolhapur which is about 220 odd kms from Pune around roughly 4.30-5am. I was glad at my progress, I thought at this rate I will reach Bangalore by four in the afternoon as the road was good and it would soon be daylight and I can zip at more than 80kmph; however I was mistaken and did not have a clue of what lay ahead. I kept riding and soon by 6am was in Karnataka state which I was entering for the first time in my life. I hoped the sun would rise soon as I was now tired of the cold breeze and night driving for five and a half hours-6 hours. But I was happy about the fact that I had covered around 280-300kms in those five and a half to six hours of night driving and that was a substantial distance and the key to reach in a single day covering 800kms in total. I again stopped at 6.30am and the sun rose at 6.45am while I was having a guava. There was sand and dirt in and on my mouth as the helmet visor was open during the night, I could feel the dust being grinded in between my teeth, as I ate the guava. I just took it as a reward of my hard work. Finally I began to see people and two wheelers on the road as the sun god rose from its sleep and I again got on my bike. The road as I entered Karnataka was awesome, much better than Maharashtra and I was now zipping at 80+kmph with no dust entering in and on my mouth as the helmet visor was now closed. There were nice farms all around with the highway passing between them; I stopped to fill fuel and air at some place after Nipani as I was worried that I would be stranded as there was no chance of tanking up at night as all pumps were closed even though there was enough fuel—I accept I do tend to get worried about running out of fuel. The petrol pump guy and the one who filled air spoke Marathi which was understandable but was laced a bit with kannada probably as this place was close to the Maharashtra-karnataka border. Soon, I crossed Nipani, Bagewadi, then Dharwad and Hubli and was zipping quite comfortably and happily as the road was ‘ekdum makkhan’ meaning smooth like the skin of those Baywatch babes shown on the beaches of California. Now at times I began to feel a little sleepy after almost eight hours of non-stop driving, but I would regain control of myself immediately. Two things I would like to mention here, the wind was blowing furiously, my bike would almost get swayed by the wind if I accelerated beyond 70-80kmph, it was like the wind was playfully nudging me aside, and also on the way, I saw dozens of stray dogs killed and lying on the road after some vehicle hit. When I passed each dog, I just said one sentence, may your soul RIP. It was not a nice sight, but that’s life. Soon at Dharwad, I saw the TATA Motors plant on the highway and I remembered my old days where I spent 2 years in the TATA Motors plant at Pune where all I ever saw was trucks and bald old men and am pretty sure that it would have not been any different inside those huge gates bearing the TATA logo. Sometime later I do not recollect exactly, the four lane highway soon turned into a two lane road, this led to obvious reduction in speed and later to add to the horror, the road was dug up and there were diversions and potholes and it got really bad. Fortunately I was doing this patch during the day as during the night this would have been a disaster. The day progressed but my speed did not due to the un-anticipated extended bad patch of road. I still thought I could reach by 6- 6.30pm i.e. before the sun sets in Bangalore city.

I kept riding along the long patch of highway road full of diversions and still under construction and slowly the village traffic comprising tractors, bullock carts on the highway also increased along with the intensity of the sun and finally I entered a small city called Ranibennur. The highway again gets converted into a 2 laner piece of road and the heavy traffic made progress slow. Here I noticed that the traffic cops of Karnataka wear cowboy type caps, it’s quite a sight. When I entered Ranibennur, I got a little confused if I am on the correct track or not, as the city patch was around a 4-5kms one and I thought I may have skipped a diversion , so I stopped and checked my map, and was glad that I was on the correct path. All along my journey, be it at night at the toll booths or during day along the villages or in a small city like Ranibennur, people were quite amused to see a biker with a black jacket adorned with F1 car sponsor logos, gloves, a big bag tied onto the pillion seat and happily accelerating .
It would not be wrong to call Ranibennur a cross between a village and a city and it was refreshing to see the small city colleges and school and reminded me of the ones I always see when I bike down to the konkan coast of Maharashtra. TheNH-4 highway usually excellent but at times really bad on the Karnataka side, but it sure was scenic throughout with farms, dams, small hills, sun kissed barren land , small rivulets, rivers, sunflower plantations , small village huts alternating and adorning almost the entire 800km patch. To add to all the above lovely sights, was when I reached Chitradurga. Here there are hundreds of huge windmills which even a blind man cannot miss. The road was terrible in this part of the word, but seeing the windmills all around with their blades rotating was almost like a hundred Katrina kaif’s coming out of nowhere and waving at you. I initially thought of taking out my camera here and taking a few shots, but I have almost climbed a windmill in Satara district of Maharashtra where again there are thousands of windmills, so it was nothing new to me, but the size of the windmills at Chitradurga was massive, to give an example would be like saying, that if the windmills at Satara were like Sachin Tendulkar height wise, then the windmills at Chitradurga were like Amitabh Bachhan .
Around 80 -100kms of the road is a two laner and bad with diversions and under construction on the Karnataka side

Continued...

Hence I just moved on admiring the lovely sight and fortunately the road got much better after Chitradurga, here again it got converted into a nice 4 laner and I could zip fast touching 80-90kmph easily and it was like my bike was talking to the wind. If I remember correctly Bangalore was 220-250kms from Chitradurga and I was happy that the road was good and I was almost there, so I decided to stop only after driving 100-150kms for another few minutes break. There was no problem in this and now on the way after about 80odd kms, I saw lots of young men sitting with a bunch of coconuts, and I was quite tempted to stop and sip on some naiyal pani( coconut water), but my grip on the accelerator was set at 80kmph as the road was really nice and somehow I did not feel like letting go off it except for a stop for refueling as I did not want to take any chances of running dry . So after crossing Hiriyur which took about an hour and half I decided to take a pit stop at Sira which was about 100kms from Bangalore. Here I saw a decent petrol pump which also had boards of a toilet, wash room, air and stopped there for a refuel , washed my weather battered face nicely, finished off my two remaining bananas and one of the petrol pump’s attendant came to check out my bike. He saw that it bore an MH- Maharashtra number plate and was amused to know that I had driven down all the way, I asked him how much more time before I reached Bengaluru and he told me that’s its 100kms away and maybe an hour and half or two hours max. I saw the time, it was around 4.30-4.45pm, and I began wondering if I could make it before the sun set as I sat down and the Yamaha engine again roared like not one but two tigers in unison. I just left the pump and went ahead a few hundred meters when I saw a nice milestone saying that Bengaluru is 100kms away, and I again stopped to finally take my first picture after having driven 700kms. Though there were some lovely early morning breath taking sights as I have mentioned earlier along the highway , I never stopped to take pictures as I did not see something drastically different to pull over and take a shot, however I was quite tempted to take a shot of myself along with the bike with a milestone mentioning the distance to Bengaluru as proof and accomplishment of my solo ride, but somehow never stopped during the early morning, afternoon but finally did so the evening when I was 100kms away. There was no one to take a shot for me of the trio- myself, my Yamaha and the milestone, so I thought of placing my camera on timer to take a shot, however the positioning was difficult to achieve even after 10mins of serious effort. But I guess , God wanted me to capture my share of glory in the form of a picture, and suddenly out of nowhere 2-3 young village lads appeared and were throwing glances at my bike, similar to ones guys do to the best chick in class during college days. I smiled at them and fortunately for me they spoke Hindi, so telling them to take a photo and explaining how to handle my camera was easy, else I wonder how would I have done this in Kannada . One of the boys was very enthusiastic and I told him that I will sit on the milestone, and to capture me, the milestone and my bike and we ended up taking some great shots which I will forever cherish. In the shots- half of my face appears bright and the other and the other half appears in the sun’s shadow and to me that signifies the day and night driving which I had done. To my surprise the lad who clicked the pictures, asked me if I want to sell my bike and he got an instant answer—‘no way mate’ as I thanked them and left for the last leg of my journey. I guess the photo exercise consumed about 20mins which meant I would see the sun set in Bengaluru city and would be still somewhere on the outskirts. I went as fast as I could but lost the race against time as the sun god said goodnight Parikshit and set. Now I had driven almost 17hours in that day and was so near yet not there from my destination and for the second time during the course of the day I had to resort to night driving, and for the first time, my enthusiasm meter dipped a little and I just wanted to reach as quickly as possible, but then there was again heavy traffic and dust and blinding lights. I however continued and finally reached Yashwantpur station at 8pm—yippee after battling the crazy , idiotic traffic of Bangalore—and there was the following placard in my brain—Parikshit arrived at Bangalore in a single day riding his Yamaha , solo starting at 1am in the morning on Friday and reaching on Friday night at 8pm. I made a call home and then to my friend and finally set off to find my friends place, soon the cowboy traffic cops of Karnataka welcomed me to Bengaluru by stopping me for MH vehicle and saying my bike’s lights were off(guessed I switched them off when I made a called at Yashwantpur station and forgot to switch them on again), I was in no mood to argue and just paid them off. See what wonderful things money does, when I initially spoke to them, they spoke only in Kannada , but as soon as I dished out some cash, their tongue began wagging in Hindi , everyone loves the color of money.
Finally after asking people for directions only to realize that they do not realize Hindi, I somehow reached Mandar’s place.
I spent 3 days at Bangalore, which can be summarized in 3 sentences, the first day I was only on a liquid diet of Beer , after all I needed to make up for those lost calories of the ride, second day I was on a solid diet-it was gopi’s reception and third day, I did not each much and sleep for a major part of the day sleeping as I again rode back to Pune in the same fashion in a single day starting at 1am and reching at 7.30pm. It was great to catch up with old school buddies whom I had not met for over a decade as we played carom, chatted and had beer deep into the night. Mandar and his wife Shamin were very gracious hosts. Before the reception day , I called Gopi telling him that I have biked down for his reception and the pooe fello was shocked—he justkept saying—Parik( that’s what my Goa buddies call me), are you crazy, are you crazy ? . He said this at least half a dozen times and I just kept quiet as I realized that he is already married and his father’s protective, caring instincts have woken up after 27yrs 
I left on 15th Dec i.e. Tuesday at 1am again after meeting my mama and his family, my mama is I guess the only other person in my family circle after my maternal grandfather (ajoba)who has blue eyes . I lost my way initially, but soon was back on NH4 with no traffic for a change in Bangalore city and drove back in the same fashion as I came and was back at Kothrud in my house at 7.30pm on Tuesday 

Everybody, my mother, mama, mami, Mandar were all relieved that I was back safe and sound.
All in all it was one helluva 1600kms solo bike ride, —would just end with saying as usual , a biker and trekker never dies, he just fades away on the road or in the hills.
Regards,
Parikshit Vaidya

p.s: People feel worried if I tell them I am biking somewhere (now quite a few can digest it as well after reading or listening to many of my previous escapades)—main source of worry is that I might die courtesy an accident—but I feel the chances of an accident in Pune city itself are as high as compared to the skyscrapers of New York rather than the road running in between the rustic setting of villages , mountains and oceans. I read a while back in the papers that Charles Darwin had said that though the Neandrathral man is extinct—some of his genes and characteristics are still present in some humans in this century also. Well if Mr Darvin was alive, Mr Vaidya would have definitely fixed an appointment with him…..

PS: I have taken permission of the original author of the article before putting it here :)

Alading you must have a great ride. Solo ride sucks sometime if you tyre busts on highway and no repair available nearby.

I did 300km on Kinetic honda from Bhopal to Indore during my college days in 7 hours

A friend of mine did Mumbai -> Ladakh on his machismo an year earlier.

This time he is going for Mumbai to Jaipur and nearby cities.

Rides are awesome!!!

Really tough guys. :goku:

We used to go from Chennai to Pondichery and return on the same day. It would come around 320 to 350KMs (up and down). The next 2 or 3 days after traveling we would feel like all the joints were broken. I could not think about 800Kms.

I kept riding along the long patch of highway road full of diversions and still under construction and slowly the village traffic comprising tractors, bullock carts on the highway also increased along with the intensity of the sun and finally I entered a small city called Ranibennur. The highway again gets converted into a 2 laner piece of road and the heavy traffic made progress slow. Here I noticed that the traffic cops of Karnataka wear cowboy type caps, it’s quite a sight. When I entered Ranibennur, I got a little confused if I am on the correct track or not, as the city patch was around a 4-5kms one and I thought I may have skipped a diversion , so I stopped and checked my map, and was glad that I was on the correct path. All along my journey, be it at night at the toll booths or during day along the villages or in a small city like Ranibennur, people were quite amused to see a biker with a black jacket adorned with F1 car sponsor logos, gloves, a big bag tied onto the pillion seat and happily accelerating .

It would not be wrong to call Ranibennur a cross between a village and a city and it was refreshing to see the small city colleges and school and reminded me of the ones I always see when I bike down to the konkan coast of Maharashtra.

Ranebennur is where i have done my engineering from...it is really a very small town...i remember travellig 40 kms to Davangiri to watch a movie with friends..

for me...very small journey... Pune to Kolhapur and back to pune = 600kms in 7 hours :) just a 2 min break in kolhapur :cool2:
gone to meet someone and once i reached there i saw my mobile with meeting cancel message :bleh: once i started from Katraj....no time to be stop....just enjoy Unicorn :) and ya....with helmet..

+1 i agree with LT.

if you want to drive anywhere no matter how long it is always wear a helmet..

well the longest I've traveled is from Jabalpur to Nagpur which is around 270kms on NH-7 in 4 Hours in my 2005 Pulsar 180..

Mind you it is was only 2 lanes back then..

Back