Linux [Solved] Cannot login to Mint Os.

6pack

ex-Mod
I have Linux Mint installed on a nokia laptop. Keyboard is automatically typing the [ key at full speed right during startup. I can see the line of [[[[[[ typed after grub boots. This nonsense started suddenly this morning. When the login screen appears the key types automatically and i have to press escape key multiple times to clear the password field. No matter what i try, i couldn't login.
Is the keyboard gone bad or is this a software problem?

I tried searching for nokia purebook laptop keyboard but results are from Alibaba or Amazon dot com. Is there a way to use the laptop with internal keyboard disabled and use external wifi keyboard?

Dunno why, but this seems to be a regular problem with laptops. In my case, this has always been a problem with keyboards. Could this be caused by dust getting trapped under the key ?

Try to press each key multiple times and see if this helps.
If you are able to login eventually, you could try disabling the internal keyboard and connect an external one. if problem goes away, then that will confirm it.

I think it's keyboard problem. I tried logging in automatically with live mint usb drive and the entire os started to not behave properly after a few minutes. Trackpad stopped responding. On desktop, the search bar opened up and the [ key was filling it up. I tried to remove the laptop ribbon cable but it is right next to the battery. I don't know how to open this. It's too small for my hands to grip anything. I'll need to buy some tweezers set now and a good pair of magnifying glasses too. Worst case scenario - I'll cut the cable with scissors.

Imagepipe_0.jpg

Worst case scenario - I'll cut the cable with scissors.
Just get the keyboard replaced if you have some local laptop repair shop. This is a common issue across multiple laptops it seems, so repair guy should know what to do.
Did you try pressing '[' key multiple times ? Sometimes than can solve it, assuming '[' is the only offending key.

Also you can try to disable the internal keyboard in linux. Google for it.

This could most likely be a Keyboard issue.
The connector cable appears to be misaligned. Assuming you did not misalign the cable, try using some good cleaning liquid and make a good connection.
One of the keys on the keyboard could be stuck as well. Try to clean the keyboard. Press each key multiple time to try and ensure they are pressing correctly.

If Laptop keyboard can be "disabled" or the laptop can be forced to bypass internal keyboard if an external USB keyboard is attached, you could try doing that.
However, servicing the laptop, and particularly the keyboard, could be the best solution.

Just get the keyboard replaced if you have some local laptop repair shop.
Unfortunately there are no local laptop repair shops in my area. It's an industrial area so most shops are just hardware shops.
Also you can try to disable the internal keyboard in linux. Google for it.
Mouse doesn't work with the [ key spamming the system continuously.
For testing purpose, did you try to connect a USB keyboard and try to use it ? Does it work properly ?
Right now, I don't have any working USB or wireless keyboard. Just a usb mouse.

I think it's keyboard problem. I tried logging in automatically with live mint usb drive and the entire os started to not behave properly after a few minutes. Trackpad stopped responding. On desktop, the search bar opened up and the [ key was filling it up. I tried to remove the laptop ribbon cable but it is right next to the battery. I don't know how to open this. It's too small for my hands to grip anything. I'll need to buy some tweezers set now and a good pair of magnifying glasses too. Worst case scenario - I'll cut the cable with scissors.

View attachment 206019
You need to pull up on the black bar (on which 61P) is written. It should open with just your fingernails. Put your fingernails under the black bar and over the blue part of the cable and it should pull up, unlocking the cable. Don't try too hard. If it is too difficult to open maybe you need to push the black bar towards the blue section and then pull up. In either case, if you need to put too much force, you are doing something wrong. These locking mechanisms don't require much force to open.

I had a HP laptop with the same problem, letter L was being pressed intermittently, like sometimes LLLLLLLLLLLLL continuously, sometimes nothing for 1 minute, then 5-10 inputs, then nothing. I disconnected the keyboard ribbon cable on the motherboard and the issue was still there. It is kept like that since. Tried Windows reinstall and Ubuntu, both had same issue.

I disconnected the keyboard ribbon cable on the motherboard and the issue was still there.
Weird. How will the keyboard work if the com port data cable is detached? Do you mean the problem comes even with another keyboard or without any keyboard?
You need to pull up on the black bar (on which 61P) is written. It should open with just your fingernails. Put your fingernails under the black bar and over the blue part of the cable and it should pull up, unlocking the cable. Don't try too hard. If it is too difficult to open maybe you need to push the black bar towards the blue section and then pull up. In either case, if you need to put too much force, you are doing something wrong. These locking mechanisms don't require much force to open.
I tried both ways and couldn't budge it. The middle of the black bar comes up a bit. These things are too tiny to touch so I'm waiting for some tweezers from Amazon. Look at the resistors on the board. Those are like 1mm in size. Probably laser soldered to the board. These miniature circuits are hell to see and do any repairs.

Weird. How will the keyboard work if the com port data cable is detached? Do you mean the problem comes even with another keyboard or without any keyboard?
Yeah, it was very weird. I even had ordered a replacement keyboard. The issue was still there after I replaced they keyboard with a new original HP spare part. Out of curiosity, I tried booting after detaching the keyboard (no ribbon cable was connected to the motherboard in the place of keyborad). The same issue still persisted. I tried clening the ribbon cable slot with IPA and tested without keyboard, still same. I thought the issue must be with the motherboard.

I tried both ways and couldn't budge it. The middle of the black bar comes up a bit. These things are too tiny to touch so I'm waiting for some tweezers from Amazon. Look at the resistors on the board. Those are like 1mm in size. Probably laser soldered to the board. These miniature circuits are hell to see and do any repairs.
Good to proceed only when appropriate tools are available. Better safe than sorry.

Update: i managed to remove the keyboard cable. That clip moves up as @codwapeace suggested. I used a tweezer to push it up and after a bit of force it opened without breaking. Then i just used the tweezers to remove the cable.

Managed to login to Mint without issue. Onscreen keyboard works but has its quirks.

Major weak point of the laptop is the rubbish plastic they used for the body. There is a crack near the hinge and while opening the screws, 4 of the laptop knurled insert nut plastic supports got destroyed. I think mseal is the way to do those according to yt videos. I kept the knurled nuts safely. On Amazon they cost around 600 rupees for 25 pieces.

Now I'm just waiting for wired keyboard from Amazon. Touchpad on keyboard works properly so no need of mouse.

Edit 2: There was an option in Linux Mint Settings > Keyboard > Typing > Key repeat (radio button) turn this off and key repeats are disabled. If I knew this was on, I could have saved money on tweezers and a new keyboard and didn't even have to open the laptop. :(
Long story short, I've reconnected the laptop keyboard and it's working as expected. Even the [ key works only once. I F'd myself for days. Save this google so that anyone using Linux Mint finds this post first next time if they have the same problem.

Edit 3: The problem came back. It's unsolvable. Guess it's just bad hardware.

Last edited:
Back