Video Sony Bravia KDL-43W800D with a likely dead mobo (Now blinks red light 5 times)

My cousin's TV has just gone belly up and won't turn on no matter what. The Sony tech told him that it needs a new motherboard that costs 18k. Is there any place where a new or pre-owned board can be bought for cheaper? Or is there anything that could be done with this TV? This has started worrying me as well as I have a similar model (KDL-43W950C) and recently the WIFI won't work.

My cousin's TV has just gone belly up and won't turn on no matter what. The Sony tech told him that it needs a new motherboard that costs 18k. Is there any place where a new or pre-owned board can be bought for cheaper? Or is there anything that could be done with this TV? This has started worrying me as well as I have a similar model (KDL-43W950C) and recently the WIFI won't work.
Quick google search will show you sellers for the motherboard for this tv, one showed 1700 but oos, one.more in stock 8k.
Try to find an local technician who can repair it for cheaper.

5 red blinks usually means there is a self test error when booting and usually is due to one of the neccessary processing chips other than the SoC being unable to start. The cause of this issue is voltage surge which either corrupts the firmware chip or damages capacitors in the internal power supply board, leading to the tv logic board receiving incorrect voltages. Its a safety feature to prevent further damage to the logic board.

Assuming its corrupted firmware, you might be able to reset it. Disconnect all cables from TV for 48 hrs. Press and hold both "power" and Volume "+" buttons on original remote while plugging it in. Continue holding both buttons until the screen comes back to life. If it didn't work, then its a blown cap. In my experience this issue is more often due to a damaged power board than the logic board (motherboard).

Just get yourself a good surge protector and avoid these headaches, people cheap out on these stuff and then cry about their dead electronics. Belkin makes really good surge protectors and i think they are well worth the investment.

5 red blinks usually means there is a self test error when booting and usually is due to one of the neccessary processing chips other than the SoC being unable to start. The cause of this issue is voltage surge which either corrupts the firmware chip or damages capacitors in the internal power supply board, leading to the tv logic board receiving incorrect voltages. Its a safety feature to prevent further damage to the logic board.

Assuming its corrupted firmware, you might be able to reset it. Disconnect all cables from TV for 48 hrs. Press and hold both "power" and Volume "+" buttons on original remote while plugging it in. Continue holding both buttons until the screen comes back to life. If it didn't work, then its a blown cap. In my experience this issue is more often due to a damaged power board than the logic board (motherboard).

Just get yourself a good surge protector and avoid these headaches, people cheap out on these stuff and then cry about their dead electronics. Belkin makes really good surge protectors and i think they are well worth the investment.

We have a similar model and at the time we used to get horrible fluctuations. The TV couldn't handle it and died just a week before the warranty ended. Got the Mobo replaced and immediately got a voltage stabilizer for it. I advised this to my cousin too. I'll pass your message along to him so thanks!

Back