Sony Ericsson's latest and greatest!

gforce

Adept
Sold my HTC TP2 and got this baby. Can you guess what it is? :)

DSC_1500.jpg

DSC_1503.jpg

DSC_1505.jpg

DSC_1506.jpg

The more I play with this baby, it seems that this isn't the phone I wanted. Here is a mini preview to help you understand the situation better:

The good stuff: (the calm before the storm)

A real head turner and conversation starter.

Sexiest front end of any S60 phone till now (subjective). Don't expect non-geeks to appreciate the booty at the back though.

The second best cell phone camera on the planet.

SE's UI on top of the uber dull and boring S60v5 is nice and refreshing

The lock/unlock slider is a great idea

Thank God for the camera lens cover

The screen might be resistive but the 3.5" display looks gorgeous

Coming from the slightly dull and boring WinMo phones, the Walkman UI with album art is quite nice

The bad and the ugly: (there's a lot)

In a single word, the battery life = CRAP. Never thought I would say it but this is the first phone I wish that had a bigger battery. With my higher than average usage pattern, I think I will need to move around with a charger.

Screen taps do not register about 10% of the time which, trust me, is a pretty large ratio.

Loudspeaker isn't very loud. Another possible evidence of el cheapo components.

Usable space on the C drive is tiny, just about 45MB.

RAM usage isn't optimized in the current build. The phone struggles with multi-tasking.

Kinetic scrolling is present in some places but absent in most. Talk about a half baked FW.

WiFi keeps dropping the connection randomly. Not really sure what's going on here.

Some media files give a "could not play" error when launching them from the media center. A reboot usually does the trick.

This is some really goofy stuff from SE. I really want to love the phone but the effin FW keeps coming in the way like a bloody ex-lover which makes me want to drop this and continue playing with my other gadgets. More thoughts tomorrow after I have had a chance to test some of the other feature and 3rd party software.

@moh1t: Resistive screen matey. I thought everyone would have that figured out by now.

Damages - Rs. 27k thanks to the massive price drop two weeks ago (purchased from CPW)

@Bikey: What are you talking about? I've been on here every single day! :D

@iGo: Where's the fun in that? :D

^ You didn't reply to some PMs iirc. :S

I thought you were out of town again. :)

And you sure you didn't buy a SE looking N97- bugs sound similar. :p

wouldn't an omnia hd been a better choice if you were spending 27k?

just that satio has a 12mp camera

BIKeINSTEIN said:
^ You didn't reply to some PMs iirc. :S

And you sure you didn't buy a SE looking N97- bugs sound similar. :p

Apologies bro. I know I had requested a bunch of stuff from you (erm, I forgot what I had requested :ashamed:) but I was out of town (or rather, out of the country) and just got back.

Actually, the N97 has gotten a lot better over the past couple of months with v20 firmware, thanks to Nokia's push in after-sales dev. With SE, it's like being in the back seat of a rally car. You never know if the driver will get to the end of the stage in one piece.

m0h1t said:
wouldn't an omnia hd been a better choice if you were spending 27k?

Sammy's phone is nice but in their world, Italy seems to be the only country on this planet. People from all across the world seem to be dependent on that region's FW for update. Plus, I think the SE UI is a wee bit better and the SE homescreen is better than most 3rd party shells I've seen so far. The xenon and dual led is also a nice addition. The 12MP vs 8MP debate doesn't really bother me but I want the ability to take nice, clear shots while I'm out clubbing and such.

OHOH sATOO... but this phone isnt worth 30 k yaar... there areb etter phones in the market.. sony and touch screne big flop.. always buy touch phone which has multi touch input.. as they are same as imphone touch reposnse... its a good phone.. but.. sony sato.. is not worth that price !!!

I don't know if I should even congratulate you for getting this phone, but being a great purchase warrants it. Heartiest congratulations!! :)

I have been looking at camera phones for the past two weeks and this was the first one I decided not to buy at all! I may be biased towards the upcoming Nokia N900 purely for its OS, but the continued use of Symbian on handsets with killer hardware is limiting the true potential of all these devices. N97 is only now turning out to be a powerful device, but it is a case of too little, too late. Same with this phone.

That said, the camera is still one of the very best out there, with loads of features. So if someone wants a pure camera phone, then it is a tussle between this, Satio Vs the Omnia HD. Both have good cameras, and are layered with the same Symbian S60 V5 OS. Either phones' overlying Touch UI is good.

Congratulations once again.

anks22402 said:
OHOH sATOO... but this phone isnt worth 30 k yaar... there areb etter phones in the market.. sony and touch screne big flop.. always buy touch phone which has multi touch input.. as they are same as imphone touch reposnse... its a good phone.. but.. sony sato.. is not worth that price !!!
Well, I guess you haven't seen the SE X10. The touch screen on that baby is leagues better than most Apple and HTC products.
Actually, the price of the Satio was well over 33k when it first launched about a month ago. Plus, I just sold my Hero and iPhone 3G and to be frank, I never really used multi touch so many times every day to consider it an absolute essential in a phone. On the other hand, the xenon flash on the Satio will help me get decidedly better snaps during night photography.
What I'm really looking forward to are the new SE X10 and Nokia X6.

phoenix844884 said:
I don't know if I should even congratulate you for getting this phone, but being a great purchase warrants it. Heartiest congratulations!! :)

I have been looking at camera phones for the past two weeks and this was the first one I decided not to buy at all! I may be biased towards the upcoming Nokia N900 purely for its OS, but the continued use of Symbian on handsets with killer hardware is limiting the true potential of all these devices. N97 is only now turning out to be a powerful device, but it is a case of too little, too late. Same with this phone.

That said, the camera is still one of the very best out there, with loads of features. So if someone wants a pure camera phone, then it is a tussle between this, Satio Vs the Omnia HD. Both have good cameras, and are layered with the same Symbian S60 V5 OS. Either phones' overlying Touch UI is good.

Congratulations once again.

I fully concur with your argument against this phone. I think it's pretty evident that Symbian is slowly being relegated to the mass market tier of the cell phone hierarchy with Maemo and Android leading the charge on most fronts. Sure Symbian has such a large market share that it won't disappear overnight but with Nokia, HTC, SE and the likes coming out with more devices on alternative platforms, the future isn't looking too bright.

The problem with S60v5 (or Symbian^1 in its current avatar) is that a future upgrade path is a definite dead end. On the other hand, I'm sure that the Android 1.6 toting SE X10 could be easily upgraded to Eclair 2.0. The same goes for WinMo 6.1 and 6.5. ROM dumps from retail versions of the SE X2 are being analyzed to port to the SE X1.

Actually, I'd advise you to skip the N900 (most reviews aren't unabashedly praising it) and either get the HTC Hero or the upcoming SE X10. IMO, Android is where the future is. Maemo is a single handed effort from Nokia and it would need extraordinary luck to go (and win) against the likes of Google, Motorola, SE, HTC etc.

gforce said:
I fully concur with your argument against this phone. I think it's pretty evident that Symbian is slowly being relegated to the mass market tier of the cell phone hierarchy with Maemo and Android leading the charge on most fronts. Sure Symbian has such a large market share that it won't disappear overnight but with Nokia, HTC, SE and the likes coming out with more devices on alternative platforms, the future isn't looking too bright.
The problem with S60v5 (or SF^1 in its current avatar) is that a future upgrade path is a definite dead end. On the other hand, I'm sure that the Android 1.6 toting SE X10 could be easily upgraded to Eclair 2.0. The same goes for WinMo 6.1 and 6.5. ROM dumps from retail versions of the SE X2 are being analyzed to port to the SE X1.

Actually, I'd advise you to skip the N900 (most reviews aren't unabashedly praising it) and either get the HTC Hero or the upcoming SE X10. IMO, Android is where the future is. Maemo is a single handed effort from Nokia and it would need extraordinary luck to go (and win) against the likes of Google, Motorola, SE, HTC etc.

Thanks for your words mate. I will keep them in mind when my time comes to finally pick up my next phone. I am waiting for the N900 to saturate the market before I make my decision between Maemo, Android and Symbian. Also a good camera would be my top priority. In short I will have some tough decisions to make, and maybe some compromises to gain some features at the cost of others.

Congratulations once again. :) Do post some pictures and videos taken with the phone. Also some shots in low light settings to highlight the Xenon flash. I would really appreciate that.

Some more problems I've witnessed over the past couple of hours:

1. Photos clicked in low light conditions appear a tad too dark. The flash seems bright enough, so there's definitely a problem with the FW.
2. The video player lacks any control over brightness & contrast.
3. The volume through the loudspeaker is even lower than I thought. And it's not like I'm playing some crappy encoded files.
4. There doesn't seem to be an app for Facebook? Perhaps I've inadvertently deleted something but I can't seem to find it.
5. There's no bloody equalizer in the music player! WTF were the devs thinking?
6. The messaging app doesn't display conversations.
7. The miniscule number of menus where kinetic scrolling works is laughable.
and finally,
8. It's wayyy too easy to scratch this thing. I don't know what paint they used but it seems awfully thin and under-equipped to deal with long term usage.

Thankfully, a FW update is scheduled for release in the coming weeks. I just hope SE manage to polish this device, otherwise there will be a Satio in the market section before Christmas.

Correct me if I am wrong, SE X10 is Rachel ? I have my eyes set on Rachel, it launches 2010 Feb imo. Before that I think they are also coming out with X2sa or something ( a Winmo Xperia)..

akki_89 said:
congrats man...awesome purchase...but not worth the moolah...

Well, what phone is? The iPhone 3GS is obnoxiously overpriced when unlocked and is smacked in the face by some cheaper phones. Most other phones in the Rs 35K+ category make no sense. That's a factor you have to take into consideration when purchasing expensive phones.

Aphro_EVO said:
Correct me if I am wrong, SE X10 is Rachel ? I have my eyes set on Rachel, it launches 2010 Feb imo. Before that I think they are also coming out with X2sa or something ( a Winmo Xperia)..

The Android 1.6 powered SE X10 was codenamed "RachAel" and is scheduled to be released on Feb 10, 2010 for roughly $800.

The WinMo 6.5 based SE X2 (no suffix for world editions, "a" suffix for NAM editions) is already available in a few markets around the world. If I can't get my hands on a perfect WinMo 6.5 ROM for my X1, this is what I'll buy next month.

P.S.: This thread is about the Satio and not the Xperia series, in case you were wondering. ;)

Back