Video Sony TV HDMI Audio Issue

since last two weeks i used to hear only Hiss and static when i used to connect my Sony 40WB550 series Tv to any HDMI source.It was just 13 months old. I called up the Sony Service center. the guy came an told me that the HDMI Audio Board is faulty and there has to be a replacement which would cost me 10k.

I was like shocked that wtf its just around for one year and very sparsely used and it has started to develop problems.

For the time being i have deferred the board change to near future..

Is there any way i can get it fixed for less or any repair that can be done to it...

waiting for replies

A friend of mine once was served a bill of 14k for tray service/replacement when the system itself was worth 15k.
He blasted the person in charge and when returned on the requested day, the bill was 'rectified' and showed amount as 400/-

I have myself hauled up the person at desk who was acting as a smart cookie while explaining how my In Warranty music system was supposed to be behaving in the same faulty manner even after free 'repairing', and coaxed me to take it back.. a quick word with Sony's main center and blasting the technical head resulted in correction of the defect.
Got no doubts that your case is similar and i suggest you to speak with higher officials.

But its out of warranty so they would stick to the amount...Its better to take a Panny even if they are 5-10% less quality as compared to Sony but they atleast give 3 years warranty....

piyush7243 said:
But its out of warranty so they would stick to the amount...Its better to take a Panny even if they are 5-10% less quality as compared to Sony but they atleast give 3 years warranty....
agree and infact even panasonic will work much longer than sony even if they give just 1 yr warranty because sony according to my exp is crap. its good eye opener for someone going to buy sony from grey and also for someone who recomended buying from grey when it comes to sony. may not matter for someone have hell lot of money but really matter for someone budget

See my lcd is like 4 year old No issues and it was bought from grey my uncle lcd is like 6 to 7 years old it was also bought from grey its still working flawlessly.
From day one the lcds had a good stabilizer and used to blow the dust of the air vents every 6months.

The savings from buying from the grey market is still significant.

adder said:
See my lcd is like 4 year old No issues and it was bought from grey my uncle lcd is like 6 to 7 years old it was also bought from grey its still working flawlessly.
From day one the lcds had a good stabilizer and used to blow the dust of the air vents every 6months.

The savings from buying from the grey market is still significant.
product now a days coming is not of the quality ur talking abt 4 to 7 years ago i already said someone want to play safe go with warranty and avoid sony and if someone can manage tv every yr or so can go ahead and enjoy

but dont compare the quality of products coming 4 to 7 years ago with now a days products and company giving 3 yrs warranty like panasonic and 4 yrs by philips is encorging and safe

I have seen or heard lcds from all big brands going kaput.My neighbor samsung went kaput very early i was the one who recommended them.(But it was repaired and is working fine).So does it mean no one should buy samsung.I hear philips lcds going kaput quite often in just 2 forums, despite having one of the least amount of market share.

Well if someone wants to buy a tv solely based on maximum warranty ,then by all means go ahead and buy it.

Panasonic and philips market share are quite low,philips need something to try getting the market share,its indian tv business sales and support is handled by videocon the same firm that screwed up electrolux and Kenstar reputation in after sales and support.Even some third tier manufactures give plenty of warranty.

Manufactures like samsung and Sony with 1 year warranty still have the highest market share in india and the world,they both again are more expensive then most other brands as well.So i don't think people will buy their products if they are more expensive and fail within a year.

Lcd in grey market sell like hot cakes.

adder said:
I have seen or heard lcds from all big brands going kaput.My neighbor samsung went kaput very early i was the one who recommended them.(But it was repaired and is working fine).So does it mean no one should buy samsung.I hear philips lcds going kaput quite often in just 2 forums, despite having one of the least amount of market share.

Well if someone wants to buy a tv solely based on maximum warranty ,then by all means go ahead and buy it.

Panasonic and philips market share are quite low,philips need something to try getting the market share,its indian tv business sales and support is handled by videocon the same firm that screwed up electrolux and Kenstar reputation in after sales and support.Even some third tier manufactures give plenty of warranty.

Manufactures like samsung and Sony with 1 year warranty still have the highest market share in india and the world,they both again are more expensive then most other brands as well.So i don't think people will buy their products if they are more expensive and fail within a year.

Lcd in grey market sell like hot cakes.
I already said and saying again people who dont have issue with somethings gone bad next day of purchase can go ahead and buy from grey and people who cant afford such issue always play safe and buy with warranty and i think most of people care for warranty other wise no would be asking how much warranty remaining on fs threads of techeclave too lol

I fought today with Sony guys...and Still the result is same. They said Sir its out of warranty and we don't repair LCD TV Parts we just change them.They even said that "You might have plugged in the HDMI Cable while the PS3 and TV both were running so it may have damaged the board" I was seriously amused at their attitude...

But seriously i am very disappointed with Sony India Attitude. It would have been better that i should have bought a grey market piece as advised by one of my friends. At least would have easily given 10k to get it repaired..

Any idea whether i get the board repaired or get it at lower prices...

Dang. My Sony HT BD player seems to have gotten dust on the lens or something - wont play any discs even after blowing air into the tray.

Can't wait to see how the servicing folks try to scam me on this one :D

An update.my tv finally died completely today.the display completely died on me with the power indicator just showing that its on.dang is sony that bad our its my luck.im never gonna buy a product which has just one year warranty.let me check with sony guys now.may be they will now ask for 30k.

Damn this is bad. Were you plugging the TV's power cable directly to the socket? Or did you use a UPS or a voltage stabiliser?

piyush7243 said:
An update.my tv finally died completely today.the display completely died on me with the power indicator just showing that its on.dang is sony that bad our its my luck.im never gonna buy a product which has just one year warranty.let me check with sony guys now.may be they will now ask for 30k.
sad but true thats show class quality

piyush7243 said:
Looks like the power supply board is gone,are you getting sound.

Gannu said:
Damn this is bad. Were you plugging the TV's power cable directly to the socket? Or did you use a UPS or a voltage stabiliser?
Sorry for the OT. But do LCD/LED TVs require a voltage stabiliser.

asingh said:
Sorry for the OT. But do LCD/LED TVs require a voltage stabiliser.
Not only LED/LCD TVs but any delicate and an expensive consumer appliance like this which cannot tolerate voltage fluctuations unlike heavy duty ones like an electric geyser or an AC. Which is why connecting these to the UPS makes a lot of sense. :)

I have always used a UPS with all my Electrical Appliances.. When i bought the TV i even asked Sony Guys that do i need a stabilizer and they straight away said no. Still i persisted with a UPS which i always do... But its gone. I think i may sell in 10-15k for parts now...

It it okay enough that I have installed a Su-Kam home UPS+sinewave Invertor ? Or do I still need a voltage stabilizer because of the fluctuations that happen within the invertor's "ignore" range?

Back