PC Peripherals Spark + burning smell from Belkin surge protector

letmein

Skilled
Summary of what happened 15 minutes ago:

1) I have a Belkin 4-way surge protector is plugged into the power outlet. I use one of the Belkin's socket to plug in my PC (Socket#1). Another socket is used to plug in my Belkin Router. (Socket #2)
http://www.belkin.com/in/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=638136

2) The Belkin router plug/adapter is for US voltage types, so I use a cheapo 220V converter.

3) The router stopped working (no power), even though the PC is fine. This has happened a few times before and it's probably due to a loose electrical (?) connection between the router plug and the 220V converter. So I sort of pressed down on the plug to get the connection again. (Poor language, I know - that's the best I can describe it)

4) This led to a visible spark and a smell of burning plastic from the surge protector's Socket #2. I pulled out the plug immediately. PC which was connected to Socket #1 was still running fine.

5) So my question - did I fry the router or just the router's adapter? I haven't tried plugging anything back again because I don't want to risk it damaging the router further unless I get a concrete answer.
Also, would it be safe to plug another device into the surge protector's Socket #2 or not?

Thanks for reading.

Open the surge protector and check the wires and contacts. If everything's fine, most probably the cheap converter has got burnt.

^Ugh. Same thing for me. Now I need to take the adapter, the converter and the surge protector to my local electrician.

Back