Audio SPDIF to audio jack or RCA converter

digTro

Disciple
I have a PS3 Slim and I'm trying to get 5.1 output off it. It has a SPDIF optical out. I have tow 5.1 speaker sets - one with audio jack inputs and the other with RCA inputs. Does anyone know if I can get a converter which takes in SPDIF input and has ouputs for audio jack/RCA? I asked around in CTC in Hyderabad. Some shops had no clue what I was talking about and others said that they don't have it.

Right now my only option seems to buy another speaker set which supports SPDIF.

It is your only option.

You are basically looking for a multichannel outboard DAC. Nobody makes them that I know of, you may be able to locate some on eBay, but they'll be from Chinese vendors and the product may be flaky.

Search.

Techman said:
@ OP did you get a solution for the same.

I have a WD player has spdif output, but my speakers do not have spdif in. Hence I have to compulsarily get a AV receiver.

Is there any cheap AV receiver which does the job?

Also are these good solutions?

eBay - Optical SPDIF Toslink Digital Audio Splitter 1 IN 2 OUT, Similar items search

As cranky mentioned you need to get a DAC, so since those on ebay arent those ( I didnt look at all of them), nope you have to get a AVR.

+LT

^That DAC has a stereo out. Are you willing to connect stereo speakers such as bookshelves or a 5.1 system? Asking this since you have a WDTV.

It's stereo only.

Any multichannel decoding requires licenses. Not available to small-time manufacturers at a reasonable cost.

You can get an AVR at around 12K (My Pioneer VSX-416 was 10K new) and it will do everything this DAC will and get you multichannel. Though the Wolfson chips are good, this SoundCiti seller is a bit odd. He has a habit of joining and spamming forums, and has absolutely no technical knowledge or background. He's been booted out of forums because of his behaviour - his products may be good, but his attitude is terrible.

Gannu said:
^That DAC has a stereo out. Are you willing to connect stereo speakers such as bookshelves or a 5.1 system? Asking this since you have a WDTV.

I would like to connect to my philips 5.1 HT .

I have 2 requirements
1. I know that WDTV does not support DTS using the HDMI and Audio out, but however I came to know that through SPDIF its possible. Check this link. Hence now I have to make use of this spdif port

2. I do not want generic 5.1 sound just by connecting audio L and R from my wdtv to my HT. I wanted to make use of front, rear and center channels.

You are simply not understanding this situation.

For multichannel encoded digital audio to get from one point to another, you must have either of the following:

1. A digital output on the 'source', and a digital input on the 'destination', with the destination feeding the speakers directly. Typically PS3 and AVR will be like this, or an all-in-one like a Z5500.

2. A digital output on the 'source', a 'decoder' (or DAC) with 5 separate analog outputs, and 5 analog inputs on the 'destination'. Use of a DDTS-100 is an example of this kind of connection.

3. 5 channel analog outputs on the 'source', and 5 channel analog inputs on the 'destination'. Typically connecting a computer soundcard to a 5.1 speaker system without digital input will use this method.

In all the above cases, all individual pieces of equipment must support the digital format of your choice in some way or the other.

If you don't have any of the above 3, forget it, don't even ask if it will work. It's not possible.

Yup the SPDIF coax is the only way you can get this DTS decoding. And although the DAC accepts digital inputs, it has only headphones/stereo out. So no point here. Instead if you can invest in a cheap AVR as cranky has suggested, that would accept digital inputs and provide 5 channel out, this would serve your intended purpose.

This sounds pretty clear thanks cranky and Gannu. so my option of connecting to philips 5.1 speaker requires a mediator which can be one of the choice given by cranky.

I also have a sony TV which has the HDMI input and I am pretty confused with the replies I got from the other thread here.

@cranky

Can you suggest good & cheap 2.1/5.1 computer speakers/HT which has Optical SPDIF IN so one can give sound output from WDTV ?

No 2.1 I'm aware of does this. You may have better luck using a stereo DAC and a regular 2.0/2.1 speaker set.

The only 5.1 is the Z5500, that I know of. And after the DDTS100 went out of production, there are no standalone units for this duty - that I can think of.

Back