soulweaver

Nice is Free
Patron
NB: I am a base idiot, and not an audiophile. I am utterly ignorant, so please keep the technical talk and jargon to minimum.

I have been dreading this day. My trusty old MX5021 looks like it is going to die. Considering it served me fairly well for over a decade an a half, I ought not to feel too bad, but I got so used to its nice tight, deep, and reverberating bass that I am afraid I might not be able to find something like that within that budget.

I tried the Logitech Z263 and did not find it to my liking. Also, if I am replacing speakers, I thought I might as well replace them with something that I have less hassle with wires and all. So, I was considering getting a large enough single studio monitor or a pair or smaller ones, so that I do not have to muck about with the wires and that would also allow me to easily move them from room to room (should the need arise).

TL;DR - Start Here

I am thinking about the KRK Rokit 8 G4. (Since @Vandal has been missing for over a month)

So, I have a few questions:

How good is the output connected to a PC?
I could not find anything reliable about the cable used to connect these to a pc/tv - help would be appreciated.
Do I need a pair, or would one speaker do? (I mostly watch movies - smallish room, and I am the only person)

Any other speaker suggestions? I am open. I zeroed in KRK because they seemed to be bang for the buck (relatively). How are mackies? I am not too sure about Klipsch because the last time I listened to ProMedia PC speakers, I came away unimpressed.

Was skimming his post just to find this bit. That one line tells you what he is looking for :happy:

I got so used to its nice tight, deep, and reverberating bass that I am afraid I might not be able to find something like that within that budget.
Unlikely, there were some good affordable options earlier but those times have now moved on.

You are looking for a 2.1 and not 2.0 system which likely will cost more these days. In fairness it will sound better than what you had too

Last edited:
Back