PC Peripherals speaker upgrade

naru80

Disciple
I want to upgrade my five-year-old Creative Inspire 2.1 2500. The speaker's quite ok but the volume control has gone kaput, so i have to keep fiddling with it, which is very irritating. :mad:

I need something with more clarity and bass, cause I listen to a lot of hard rock. Please suggest something.

Soundcard's the integrated 5.1 channel with Biostar TA785GE-128M motherboard. Should I get a dedicated soundcard too? Or will a 5.1 set-up work okay with this?

Budget's flexible, but tentatively around 5k

Pls advice. Thanks

The Altec Lansing MX5021 is still the king if 2.1 is what you want. You will have to up your budget a bit though.

BTW it shouldn't be too difficult to change the volume control potentiometer or at least clean it. In my younger days I experimented a lot with cleaning potentiometers. Traditional solvents like CTC are good but somehow the pot wears out faster after use. Machine oil too gives good results but becomes a magnet for dust accumulation after a while.

The best thing to use for such cleaning is whisky or brandy or rum, just a drop poured in while you gently rotate the pot. :)

Can you tell me how much of a difference (SQ wise) there will between Creative Inspire and the Altec Lansing that's being recommended?

Is it worth the >5K?

I'm asking cause it's almost impossible to get an audition in Nehru Place before buying.

Also, I was actually thinking of a 5.1 set-up to justify the upgrade. There seem to be a few for <10k. Does a 5.1 vastly improve the SQ? Or is a superior-quality 2.1 better than an average 5.1?

Please advice

mods: I think i posted this in the wrong section. can this be moved to the audio zone?

If I may budge a little... please consider getting a 5.1 setup. Why.. ?? Most of the video files that are circulated are HD which contain a 5.1 audio stream. Having a 2.1 does not suffice coz the human audio (dialogs and stuff) suffer and are not audible. If you turn up the volume then the other sounds become way too loud.

Just my 2 cents... learned it the hard way, I cannot give up my Klipsch and cannot invest in a HT setup :(

Ur into hard rock.... get a 2.1 set. 5.1 will rape the sq out of any song u play... Get the Edifier C3 for just a little more. Worth every penny. I bought it about 3 weeks back from Nehru Place.

If you are mostly into music, then M Audio AV30 (8k), Audioengine A2 (9K), Creative T20, T40 (6-8K) - these are 2.0
If you are mostly into movies, Logitech X540 (5K) - this is 5.1
Get the Edifier C3 if you want to compromise on both.

After reading up quite a bit here, I've shortlisted these:

Edifier c3 ~ 6.5

Edifier c2 ~ 3.5k

Swan M10 ~ 5.5k

Logitech Z-2300

The primary usage will be music. Rock, mostly, both hard and soft. And then, occasionally, movies and TV shows. Zero gaming.

What do you guys suggest?

Also, is there a shop in Delhi where I can get auditions?

And, what's the SQ difference between 2.0 and 2.1? Is 2.1 necessarily better?

+1 for the Edifier C3. I had suggested the same to Dhruv who was confused between the MX5021, C3 and few others and can already see that he is a happy Edifier camper now. :D

Emil said:
CTC = carbon tetra chloride - not knowing this is hardly something to be ashamed of. Not even sure anyone uses it anymore. I used to regularly use it over 20 years ago.
Oh alright. Thanks Emil. Heh all I knew about CTC was cost-to-cost (a shop that deals with computer peripherals in Delhi) and cost-to-company. :p

So CTC = CCl4. I recall learning those in our organic chemistry classes during high-school days. Never knew it is a good solvent. We use ethanol and IPA these days. :)

[OT] You seem to be one of the oldest members in our forum :p [/OT]

djmykey said:
If I may budge a little... please consider getting a 5.1 setup. Why.. ?? Most of the video files that are circulated are HD which contain a 5.1 audio stream. Having a 2.1 does not suffice coz the human audio (dialogs and stuff) suffer and are not audible. If you turn up the volume then the other sounds become way too loud.

Just my 2 cents... learned it the hard way, I cannot give up my Klipsch and cannot invest in a HT setup :(

OT: It seems your low/mid/high are getting muffled a bit. And since you can't hear dialogues properly, the soundstage is'nt right either. Try someone's sound-card (preferably Xonar or atleast creative audigy) and check if it resolves the issue.

Check 6021.. OMG bass and nice looking sat's. For me its 5021 with beefy bass :D Me likey likey but it doesnt beat my Klipsch :bleh: 6021 is circa 9k so its a sweet deal to me

Back