Spectrum auctions 2021 - Jio and Airtel Shook hands?

swatkats

Skilled
Both Jio and Airtel rocked auctions. Jio being highest bidder. It seems 5G is a distant dream for Indian users!

Go through the below articles..

90 days from now, Just expect some Badass Indoor coverage on Jio!

OOqeLrd.png

There is also a talk that Jio and Airtel have joined hands to further share spectrum with each other, If this is true we are heading towards a duopoly market

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Kind of expected. There was no 5G in this auction anyways. I would be more interested if all these purchases improves the quality of 4G which, I feel is still not there, let alone 5G.

It is simply a case of the incumbents drowning in debt. Airtel and Vi have to do what they can to offload much of their debt. Jio was funded mostly by petro money and then offloading to foreign investors without the hassle of having to maintain a legacy network.

It is logical to buy enough of the most-efficient 800 Mhz spectrum for 4G to keep the network going and to strategically offload existing spectrum based on the circle. Focus will be on the 5G auctions which were tentatively scheduled for 2021 but with this delayed 4G auction, it will most likely happen a year later.

Focus will be on the 5G auctions which were tentatively scheduled for 2021 but with this delayed 4G auction, it will most likely happen a year later.
From What I understand, Massive 5G launch would only happen in 2024-2025.

There is not much demand for 5G in India right now. Average customer is paying around 170₹/month (Airtel) and how can one expect 5G with same cheap tariffs?
Indian TSP's have always been taking a leaf out of US providers.

In US, 4G launched in 2009 and massive usage started in 2011.
Similarly. Indian 4G launch happened in 2012 but actual usage started in 2015. Jio started freebies in 2016 and Started becoming ultra cheap from 2016 December.

Even if auctions are conducted in 2023, 5G would be available from 2024.

Last edited:
2024-2025

Replying to a Facebook post yesterday, Xiaomi India Head, Manu Jain, said the company decided against 5G to save costs. “We do have 5G phones. And happy to launch more. However, there is no 5G network in India. Even if the network gets auctioned at the end of this year, it will be easily at least 3-4 years by the time 5G comes to all parts of the country. By that time, you would have changed phones 2-3 times,” he said in the post.
Am I right or am I right?

Last edited:
What I want to say is, 2g is still better than 4g on avg in my personal experience. even when have 4g range, speed is less than 2g in most cases. any where I have speed, I already have a wifi connection available.

Back