Spice Mi 410 or Moto Defy?

DarkAngel

Skilled
Advantages Spice Mi 410
  • Better Processor and GPU (QSD8255 1GHz+ Adreno 205)
  • WVGA 4.1" screen (Larger screen but Welcomm A99 seems to have 262k color. So Mi 410 might also have the same)
  • Slimmer profile
  • Front Camera
  • 720p playback, HDMI out
  • 13.3k from SAHOLIC after discounts
-ve of Spice is that its relatively new, the camera protudes in the back and thus might get smudged soon.

Advantages of Moto
  • More rugged
  • 16M color screen and better quality LCD
  • CM7 available
  • Larger battery
  • 14.3k from letsbuy with a BT headset worth ~Rs.600-700
-ve of Moto is that it has higher SAR value.

Both run Froyo (Moto will get it shortly)

I am not going to root it straight away. Only after 3-4 months.

Usage pattern:
  • My major usage is playing games (Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds etc...)
  • Checking TE, Cricinfo via apps and browsing a bit.
  • Bit of music, videos
  • Occasional Snaps and video recording
  • I am planning to use it for 2 years.
I am super confused between the two. Help me out guys :huh:

My budget is 14k. So dont suggest Nexus S or O2X :p

Motorola DEFY vs. Huawei U9000 IDEOS X6 - GSMArena.com

Did you delete the thread? I typed a reply and then got an invalid thread message.

Anyways in short for gaming the better CPU+GPU is preferred. How is the custom ROM support for MI410/X6 because spice may not update it to 2.3. On the other hand because of CM support, defy may even get ICS.

Overall, get defy only if your handling is exceptionally rough.

Yeah, deleted it and added a poll. But didnt have to :ashamed:
Custom support should gain wind since since X6 is released in US under Cincinati Bell. But currently i dont think there are much custom ROMs available for X6.
My handling is also a bit rough.
I am torn between choosing a better SOC and a better build, ROM support :(

if mi410 got community support i would have gone for it. now im confused too. how good/better is the graphics in mi410 compared to defy as proccy can be overclocked to 1ghz in defy

If high SAR value is a disadvantage for you then it's not a clear differentiator between the two, Spice doesn't list its rating afaik.
The SAR value (Head) is always higher than SAR value (Body) and I guess the body value is more important for that 'almost' confirmed cancer risk that WHO recently announced, unless you talk more than you surf/play/read on your device.
Although I voted Spice, Defy is more practical. I don't like the idea of spending so much on a phone only to have a heart attack when you drop it!
Then again nobody has yet established how good/bad the built is on Spice.
So go for 'established' one - Defy.
About the hardware, well you know better than most! I however like to look at the 'bigger picture' so academic differences in specs don't matter s**t!

^
The SAR limit adopted by USA and Canada is 1.6 watts/kilogram (W/kg) averaged over one gram
of tissue. The highest SAR value reported to the FCC and IC for this device type when tested for
use at the ear is 0.759 W/kg, and when properly worn on the body is 1.19 W/kg.
The SAR limit also adopted by Europe is 2.0 W/kg averaged over 10 grams of tissue. The highest
SAR value for this device type when tested at the ear is 0.791 W/kg, and when properly worn on
the body is 0.554 W/kg.
http://www.techenclave.com/mobile-phones/spice-mi-410-smartphone-1ghz-snapdragon-190441-6.html

The bland looks of the Spice phone is enough to put off most people. I'll go with Defy for being an overall better phone. Its processor can be overclocked to 1ghz & as OP himself said the difference in the GPU power is ~20%.

Spice leads 7-2 :O Didnt expect such run away victory in early rounds :p (Even if we count bhupatib's vote for Defy its still 6-3)
Hopefully there is a major lead for one of the device to reduce my confusion.
@pauldmps - Yeah the horse power of GPUs might not matter now as both might be enough for almost all games in the android market. But considering that i keep the phone for 2 years i guess it will come in handy and thats why i still am confused.
The QSD8255 also OCes well. Just a larger no of custom ROMs is needed.
Personally i like the Spice's looks since its sleeker, edgy and that back panel is solid metal :D

bhupatib said:
Have you any hands on with two device yet? Now that every conceivable aspect of the two has been debated, lets hope when you get some hands on, the better device will 'choose you'!
I dont think it will be possible to get a hands on of the Spice considering how new it is :( Defy, yeah i can try it at the local stores.
Only exp. with these two devices is the umpteen reviews in youtube.

The Ideos looks good on paper, but you should know too well to buy a phone of a Company that has zilch A.S.S.. And Huawei has still to garner a sizable experience before being able to match up to the quality and reliability an established handset manufacturer such as a Motorola or a Samsung can provide..

And in the direction that the mobile CPU war is heading towards, both the 1 GHz Snapdragon and the Cortex A8 will be grossly outdated in an year's time.. And lets even not even discuss the mobile GPU story..!!!

I would suggest the Defy reasons being:

a) you get a phone that has been tested and tried, unlike the Ideos which I believe doesn't have a single review from a reputed tech website

b)The back panel of the Ideos may be solid metal but so is that of most Chinese A,B,C phone, this does not make the build lasting and one more thing, Chinese handset makers always make the handset handsome looking.. :)

c) Motorala has decent A.S.S

d) Most features that Defy doesn't have and the Ideos does are features that are used rarely or not at all, will you actually record a 720p video of an occasion with a phone's camera??? Or maybe play a video from your phone on an LCD??? I won't sat these are not useful features but how many times do we actually require these features?

e) Defy lasting 2 years, the way it is built.. No big deal !!! Ideos X6, I am highly doubtful.

f) If you need a feature phone and Android is not really a necessity I would suggest the N8 over the Ideos X6.. (I read that your budget is 14K, but for a feature phone N8 actually outclasses some Androids)

I hope this helps..

I would wait for at least 1-2 months before buying something as new as the Mi-410/X6 since it's not a proven performer yet. Yes, it looks good on paper but one can't really be sure about dev support for it in the near future even if it gets a US release soon.

The Defy has known to been pretty stable OC'ed to 1GHz and even without that, I don't think it's a slouch when it comes to gaming. CM7 on Defy should perform better than stock Froyo on X6.

Also, since you mentioned rough handling, the Defy is almost a no-brainer.

Back