SQL SERVER 2000 DB damaged when attached to SQL SERVER 2005 - IMM HELP !!!

anfjavid

Skilled
Guys, I am desperately in need of help

We are using billing software (developed) for our shop in windows xp SP3. Since windows search and control panel were having some issues, I attempted to install it in windows 7. I just attached the sql server 2000 devl. Ed. database (which I was using under win xp) to sql server 2005 devl ed. in win 7.

Will this cause database damage ?

Under win XP SP3

Front end software – VB6
Database software – sql server 2000 developer
Reporting software – crystal reports

I don’t have any idea about these programming languages and linking the database software with them and I committed a grave mistake…

I came to know that SQL server 2000 isn’t compatible with win 7 and I installed sql server 2005 developer edition and VB6 in win 7. Actually the package was developed in a portable form. So just installing the above softwares and attaching the database, the software started to work. This is what I learned when the programmer installed the billing software in XP. However i dont have any idea installing it in WIN 7…

Now after installing SQL 2005 and VB 6 in win 7, I doubled clicked the attach database file and I got message database attached. Now I don’t know to proceed further. So I came back to windows xp and to my shock I am asked to enter server name when I double click the program file. If I give my computer name, which is my server name, I am getting database error.

Is the sql server 2000 database converted to 2005 version ?. Please guide me how to revert back to 2000 version if its so…

Plz guys

My father will kill me if I cannot retrieve the data…

debabratad said:
This might help:

How to restore SQL 2005 DB to SQL 2000

MIGRATING MOVING SQL2005 DB TO SQL2000 DB

Also, the easiest method (not fastest) is to just create an empty database on SQL Server 2000 and use the Export Data wizard from SQL Server 2005 Management Studio to copy your tables and views.

For stored procedures you need to create scripts on 2005 and run it on 2000.

Thanx a lot pal. I already read this page on googling. But i was not confident enough to do those. Now i followed the second link wherein the database publishing wizard is used to build up a *.sql from the DB file which got converted to 2005 version (script file) and delete the existing database file, created a new one and apply the script over the newly created database. I was able to do these successfully. And i am able to enter the billing software.

But. the database file has decreased by 10MB. The original database file was around 30MB but this file shows only 20MB. As of now i am able to do billing and i tested the other stock entries. They appear to be OK, but i am doubtful if there is anything missing in this database because when i applied the script over the empty DB i got several errors. When i pasted the errors in MS WORD, it went to more than 2000 pages. Does this really matter ?.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

asingh said:
Did you not take a DB backup..?

thanx mate

No, i am having a backup of the DB which was converted by SQL Server 2005 SP3 developer. Isnt that enough to bring it back to SS 2000 ?. I am sorry mate, I am a dead noob when it comes to installing DB software and other language applications. Its not a piece of cake like installing WIN 7 or other apps, i realized...

Please refer my reply to debrabated.

Now what should i do in order bring back the DB to its original form ?

Now if i want to run my billing software in WIN 7 SP1 plz guide me what to install. I think since its a portable billing software just installing Crystal reports, and the appropriate SQL server, i can run it successfully by attaching the DB under WIN 7 SP1. But its not that easy..

The software is programmed in VB6 and i doubt whether VB6 and Crystal reports are fully compatible with WIN 7 and SQL server 2005 SP1. Plz guide me on this... Is it possible ?. Moreover SQL server intallation itself is very difficult as the user is asked several options..

I need step by step instructions to install SS 2005 SP3 developer, Crystal reports, and VB 6(or whichever is appropriate) in WIN 7 SP1. But i dont think VB has to be installed as the software is made portable

In SImple terms :

1) SInce the DB file decreased by 10MB after migration, will there be any loss of data/damage in the database ?

2) If so how to make the DB work perfectly under SS 2000 ?

3) How to make the DB work perfectly under SS 2005 SP3 developer under WIN 7 SP1 ( with VB6 or appropriate VB versions & Crystal report versions)

(for question 3 - i dont think VB 6 software installation is mandatory since the billing software is made executable and it can run even without VB 6 or any other versions but i am not sure, since Visual studio is installed currently. Does the Crystal reports require any configuration ?.

Friends, For installing the software in WIN 7 SP1 i am ready to provide teamviewer access..

Thanx in advance....
Thanx in advance

1. Step by step - sql server installation How to Install SQL Server 2005 - A Quick Guide

2. service pack installation just involves clicking next ... next as the installation steps are quite intuitive.

3. Next move the database via backup , restore - SQL Server Blog Forum: Step by step backup/restore using T-SQL

4. You would need to map logins and users to the new sql server instance as required by the application. use the method as given at How to transfer the logins and the passwords between instances of SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008

5. next you can copy your application and other files into the new machine and try to launch the application and check if it works.

On a side note, i have run SQL server 2000 on windows 2008 (i suppose it can run on Windows 7 also).

Try installing SQL Server 2000 and its highest service pack (Service pack 4) and check if it works correctly.

The reason that i recommend that you run SQL server 2000 is because there are many breaking changes between SQL server 2000 and 2005, some portions of your application may stop working after migration.

^^ thanx a lot pal. I agree with what you say. I will try installing SS 2000 with SP4 in WIN 7 SP1.

And did you run SS 2000 with SP4 in WIN 8 or just the SS 2000 ?.

Like always with MS, the lower end version cannot recognize the higher end version.. Thus, SQL 2000 cannot recognize a database that was created in SQL 2005/2008.

The sad part is that a database originally from SQL 2000 that is once attached in SQL 2005 cannot be recognized if detached and attached in SQL 2000 again since it is upgraded.

However, I don't know why your application will have any issues even if the database is upgraded to SQL 2005 since you just have to enter the catalog name and username/password in the connection string. MS has incorporated almost all of the things present in SQL 2000 in SQL Server 2005/2008 for backwards compatibility.

If you could give us a screenshot of the error, we will be able to troubleshoot properly.

Sei said:
However, I don't know why your application will have any issues even if the database is upgraded to SQL 2005 since you just have to enter the catalog name and username/password in the connection string. MS has incorporated almost all of the things present in SQL 2000 in SQL Server 2005/2008 for backwards compatibility.

While most of the things would work normally, I have seen many queries breaking once moved from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005.

Typically the non - ANSI code (*= outer joins etc.) , some keywords have been disabled in SQL 2005 and in case the application is using DMO or DTS lots of changes and tweaking would be required.

Rather than troubleshoot issues which may not be obvious, and if there is no pressing need to go to SQL 2005 the OP can run SQL 2000 itself.

@anfjavid : I installed SP4 on top of SQL 2000 in Win 2008. The service packs below SP4 were known to be vulnerable to the slammer virus, recommended that you upgrade to SP4 too.

Sei said:
...If you could give us a screenshot of the error, we will be able to troubleshoot properly.

The error a user gets If an SQL 2005 database is attached to a SQL 2000. The same error i got. I didnt take note of the exact error statement. But now i can do it by just placing the DB which got converted to 2005 in the application folder. But the same folder has other billing data and i am scared if anything will happen if i do so.

Anyway will take a backup of the entire folder and report back.

And i read many members referring about the Username/password , catalog, etc etc. I don't understand what these are. By user name i am aware of the Windows user name and password (but PC has user name without password ) and the username and password to get into the billing software. Please explain about these . When installing SQL 2005 or 2000, i am asked to enter windows authentication or sql authentication or mixed mode. I dont have any idea about these. And the PC is a single machine and its not on a network.

Can you give me some basic idea about SQL server ??

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Today i tried installing Windows xp mode in win 7 , but it seems that the drive letters are changed as network paths and it seems it requires a lot of knowledge to run the SQL server in a VM. Moreover it is slow . So i dropped the idea and today i installed WIN xp in a different partition since want to try installing SS 2000 in it and run the billing software.

Back