Storage Solutions SSD on a 4-year old AMD desktop

Striker10

Skilled
Hi Guys,

I plan to buy a entry level SSD for my aging desktop to give it a speed boost :). This will be my first time in SSD. My budget is 5K. Which is the best SSD for reliability and with minimal RMA within 5K? Readily available is Kingston V(100/200) series, and sandisk. I'm not aware of other options. I'm based in Chennai so am susceptible to random power cuts(apart from the 2-hour daily schedule in morning). Please suggest a good one within my range.

Thanks in advance,
Striker10

All of the above are not locally available. I just spotted a OCZ Vertex 3(better than Agility drive I believe) 60GB for 4.9K at flipkart- OCZ Vertex 3 60 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive (VTX3-25SAT3-60G) - OCZ: Flipkart.com

Can I go for the above? It comes with OCZ 3 year warranty. My mobo is an outdated sata-II so even if I spend on a marvell controller for speed, I feel there wont be any difference while using it on regular tasks. I think the Vertex 3 is a decent deal... this seems to be better than v+ 200 kingston model. Will still buy a SataIII drive for future proofing.

The recommend for a Marvell controller is not so much for speed but for reliability. The Vertex 3 uses Sandforce as well. The m4 is on onlyssd : Crucial 64GB m4 SSD

P.s.: Your 64GB drive isn't going to be seeing the advertised speeds that are usually from the 128/256GB variants, so dont worry about under-utilising it :p

The Kingston v300 series is out, with 120GB model available at Rs.6000.
Online Buy Kingston V300 120GB SSD | Kingston SSD Price in India

It may not be the fastest disk available, but it's the one I'd choose primarily because of the size. A few seconds slower won't be noticeable, but the extra 60GB would be.
It's been released recently, so there isn't much data about reliability, but reviews in general have been positive.

Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB SSD Review - Final Thoughts & Conclusions - Legit Reviews

It may not be the fastest disk available, but it's the one I'd choose primarily because of the size. A few seconds slower won't be noticeable, but the extra 60GB would be.
It's been released recently, so there isn't much data about reliability, but reviews in general have been positive.

Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB SSD Review - Final Thoughts & Conclusions - Legit Reviews

The price is extremely tempting but I would wait for more reviews and associated SandForce issues to come up and then make a move.

Else, strongly suggest the Crucial M4 OR OCZ Vertex4, the latter if I am not wrong uses a modified Marvel controller just like the M4.

Back