SSD recommendations for office laptop

valar007

Disciple
Need to purchase an 512GB NVMe SSD 2280 for my office laptop (we are a startup). Could you recommend some which have a minimum warranty of 5 years and with a DRAM cache?

Also, can I add 16GB RAM to the existing 8GB and have the usable memory of 24GB? Thanks!

Keep in mind, if you are using 8+16 GB ram kits, then of the total 24GB only 16GB of RAM will work in dual channel, rest will work in single channel speed. So you might expect slight slowdowns. If you want the best performance I would recommend going 16+16.

Yes, the laptop has an extra RAM slot. Ithas 2666MHz installed. Ordering Crucial 16GB 2666MHz

Also, for the SSD, looked up the SSD tier list on LTT forums and went with Kingston A2000 500GB NVMe
Kingston A2000 is a good choice.

Do let us know how the RAM thing goes. Sometimes when a laptop comes with 8 GB RAM and an extra RAM slot, it basically means 4 GB soldered RAM, and a 4GB stick in the RAM slot. Which means you'll have to remove 4 GB to add 16. Hope this is not the case for you.

Keep in mind, if you are using 8+16 GB ram kits, then of the total 24GB only 16GB of RAM will work in dual channel, rest will work in single channel speed. So you might expect slight slowdowns. If you want the best performance I would recommend going 16+16.

I did google this before i had put 8GB + 16GB . If you are not in gaming etc there is not noticable difference
No gaming on office laptop (even though it has a 1650 Max Q :p). Mainly, it will be used for development work and having 25 to 30 tabs opened at the same time only with PyCharm. Only 8GB RAM wasn't cutting it

Kingston A2000 is a good choice.

Do let us know how the RAM thing goes. Sometimes when a laptop comes with 8 GB RAM and an extra RAM slot, it basically means 4 GB soldered RAM, and a 4GB stick in the RAM slot. Which means you'll have to remove 4 GB to add 16. Hope this is not the case for you.
Luckily, the laptop is ASUS TUF Gaming and it had no soldered RAM. The 8GB RAM came along with the laptop was on a single SO-DIMM stick

Got both the RAM and SSD yesterday. Installed it the laptop. Got a mini scare when the RAM didn't show up in the BIOS. I hadn't seated it fully. Phew! Installed Manjaro on the SSD (it was installed on the HDD earlier) and wow. Everything is so snappy.
Thank you all!

yeah, the move from HDD to SSD feels amazing the first time.

I remember when I replaced it in my old laptop in 2019, I was looking forward to the better boot times, but I had no idea the overall experience will become snappier. Everything ran much better with an SSD than it did with HDD.

Now, having gotten used to SSDs everywhere, the concept of boot times just seems alien. My 2 year old Asus laptop is the slowest of the lot with about 12 seconds of boot time. Both my NUC and Mac Mini boot in like 6-8 seconds. I have never measured because I press the button and it is ready by the time I position myself comfortably on my chair. Ironically, my NUC with a SATA SSD boots faster than my laptop with NVMe SSD.

yeah, the move from HDD to SSD feels amazing the first time.
Mine was when I installed PUBG on the SSD. And DAMN! It drew the textures so far away from the viewpoint. I didn't even know this was possible.
Also, the FPS jumped from 40ish to 110 with dips to 90. Played that game for 2 days straight!

Back