Stereo Mic recording in Linux/Pulseaudio - how?

Veek M

Disciple
(FIXED)
I've enabled echo cancellation
load-module module-echo-cancel use_master_format=1 aec_method=webrtc aec_args="a
nalog_gain_control=0\ digital_gain_control=1" source_name=echoCancel_source sink
_name=echoCancel_sink
set-default-source echoCancel_source
set-default-sink echoCancel_sink

and set
default-sample-rate = 48000
; alternate-sample-rate = 48000
default-sample-channels = 2

Noise is reduced considerably but I get one track of audio on ONE earphone-bud..
(I used to be able to get both channels so..)
Post automatically merged:

Last edited:
What exactly does Pulseaudio do? After leaving Mac OS, I dabbled across Linux for production, and gave up in few days. Heard a lot about JACK, ALSA, Pulseaudio a lot and how capable they are. Sadly I could not figure out even the basics and was not able to record even a single midi note or DI guitar in the DAW (it is probably called Ardour, which is a POS itself)
Regarding your question, can`t you just copy the recorded mono file in two separate tracks and hard pan them left and right? That`s how we work in studios with mono sources. However 99.9% people in music/podcast production use Mac/ Windows and mono/ stereo source is never a problem these days.
Every audio thing in Linux is extremely convoluted sucking out all the fun of creation.

it's not convoluted once you read the docs USUALLY but yeah Linux docs have a lot in them..
anyway I got it working.. I just needed to load a couple of modules.. The REAL ISSUE with linux is govt corruption.. if India has adopted linux, we could have invested in making things simpler.. instead govt money is spent on propping up jobs in the IT/Microsoft sector and that invariably leaks out. (China/NK have adopted Linux - in fact their QQ client uses an internally developed 'Qt'/gfx-api)

What pulseaudio needs is more users and better frontend - Qt/widget toolkit is difficult/memoryintensive and with such a small userbase people don't want to invest the time vs kernel development-embedded h/w. (MacOS is BSD/unix - they took in a lot of BSD devs)

Pulseaudio is a Library - a programming abstraction for the underlying hardware.. very often s/w needs to share hardware so libpulse will provide an API/interface/doors/windows into the binary code used to control the audio hardware. Programs can link to libpulse whereas with Jack it's a demon that uses libpulse - probably for multiplexing audio (not used it)

It's not that Linux isn't fun.. it's too much fun.. you need to know a lot and beyond a certain point you need other people close by - like a competent Linux system admin. The way human memory works you tend to forget so.. ultimately you need the ecosystem..

Last edited:
Back