Strange problem with S2 , need help S2 owners

fLUX

Skilled
Hi ,

My samsung galaxy S2 is giving problems now , it just restarts out of nowhere (this problem has started after upgrading to 2.3.6 firmware) , the temperature reading shows 64c and immediately the phone restarts , so i assume its due to the overheating .

Can someone explain what may the reason , or is somone facing the same issue ?

Its probably a rogue app that youve installed...download the stock firmware from sammobile and flash back to stock...you should be fine

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

There is an option of sennting yr firmware to previous stock one in the samsung kies..

This problem might be coz of faulty firmware installation..

Please use kies to reinstall the firmware..

also,, do u have gt-i9100, or gt-i9100g...

In model it shows as gt-i9100 , i installed the update kies provided i.e 2.3.6 . No custom rom is installed or ever tried to install one.

@Mr.Rao

How exactly can a app do that to the temperatures ?

@OP, clear cache, clear data and do a factory reset. Take out the battery clean the contacts.

The overheating can mean either of two things:

1. the CPU is stuck in the high performance mode

2. The battery is overheating

Now if the CPU is stuck at high performance mode (1.2 ghz), it may be because of some app that has frozen and in turn is eating up all the resources. In this case a simple restart (hard restart- where you take out the battery for 5 mins after switching off the phone) will likely fix it. Another reason could be a faulty motherboard, where excessive current leaks is causing the overheating. This scenario is very very unlikely.

If the battery is overheating, then it might be a problem with the battery contacts or with the battery stats. If the problem is with the contacts, then cleaning the contacts will fix it else if its to do with the battery stats, then you need to do a factory reset as well as clearing of dalvik cache and then reset the battery stats with an app. But you will need root for this.

In case you are not rooted, then do a factory reset from the stock recovery (at full charge) (to get into recovery press vol up + home + power all together when the phone is switched off), clear cache and then use the phone till you have drained approx 90% of the battery ie only 10% or so is left. Next switch off the phone and charge till 100%, then take off charger, switch the phone on and again charge till the voltage in the battery dont change (u can use current widget for this, it should be around 4200mV). Your problem will be fixed.

Battery stats gets screwed if you have the habit of topping off charge in stead of doing a complete charge-discharge cycle. So even if you charge completely , your battery is not getting fully charged due to the corrupted battery stats and hence starts leaking current thereby causing overheating.

Hope this helps

thnks devfatality.

I did not get your last para , what you mean by topping off charge , u mean i need to make sure i charge battery to 100 percent each time i plugin to charge ?, coz i do that a lot often

^^ to keep your battery healthy and ensure that your battery stats are not corrupted it is recommended that you use a complete charge-discharge cycle, ie you need to charge the battery to 100% and then let it discharge till about 7-10% mark and then recharge. If you are charging say when your battery has discharged to about 50% or 70% to get back to 100%, it is a bad practice that will corrupt battery stats and eventually prevent your battery from getting fully charged in reality (although the phone may report as the battery has been fully charged).

I think you simply have a corrupted battery stats problem and nothing serious so you should be fine if you follow the procedure I have listed in the second case.

Will try what you have said hopefully that solves the problem had enuf of sudden restarts when on call etc etc

@OP, clear cache, clear data and do a factory reset. Take out the battery clean the contacts.

The overheating can mean either of two things:

1. the CPU is stuck in the high performance mode

2. The battery is overheating

Now if the CPU is stuck at high performance mode (1.2 ghz), it may be because of some app that has frozen and in turn is eating up all the resources. In this case a simple restart (hard restart- where you take out the battery for 5 mins after switching off the phone) will likely fix it. Another reason could be a faulty motherboard, where excessive current leaks is causing the overheating. This scenario is very very unlikely.

If the battery is overheating, then it might be a problem with the battery contacts or with the battery stats. If the problem is with the contacts, then cleaning the contacts will fix it else if its to do with the battery stats, then you need to do a factory reset as well as clearing of dalvik cache and then reset the battery stats with an app. But you will need root for this.

In case you are not rooted, then do a factory reset from the stock recovery (at full charge) (to get into recovery press vol up + home + power all together when the phone is switched off), clear cache and then use the phone till you have drained approx 90% of the battery ie only 10% or so is left. Next switch off the phone and charge till 100%, then take off charger, switch the phone on and again charge till the voltage in the battery dont change (u can use current widget for this, it should be around 4200mV). Your problem will be fixed.

Battery stats gets screwed if you have the habit of topping off charge in stead of doing a complete charge-discharge cycle. So even if you charge completely , your battery is not getting fully charged due to the corrupted battery stats and hence starts leaking current thereby causing overheating.

Hope this helps

i have the exact same problem... i've already done the factory reset steps but it didnt help... i'll probably visit the samsung service station and have the software reinstalled... i think its a very common problem with 2.6 update.. :-(

i have the exact same problem... i've already done the factory reset steps but it didnt help... i'll probably visit the samsung service station and have the software reinstalled... i think its a very common problem with 2.6 update.. :-(

i think you mean 2.3.6 instead of 2.6. also it is not a common problem. are you sure you followed the exact same steps and not just factory reset? you dont need to visit service center, just download the KL1 ROM from XDA and flash using ODIN.

OT about S2 but dint want to create a new thread

the former batches of S2 has tinting issues with screen.

is it neccesary to factory reset the phone after the display is changed ?

^^ to keep your battery healthy and ensure that your battery stats are not corrupted it is recommended that you use a complete charge-discharge cycle, ie you need to charge the battery to 100% and then let it discharge till about 7-10% mark and then recharge. If you are charging say when your battery has discharged to about 50% or 70% to get back to 100%, it is a bad practice that will corrupt battery stats and eventually prevent your battery from getting fully charged in reality (although the phone may report as the battery has been fully charged).

I think you simply have a corrupted battery stats problem and nothing serious so you should be fine if you follow the procedure I have listed in the second case.

Don't think that this applies to modern Lithium batteries.

^^ it is applicable to all batteries including modern ones. I have faced issues with desire, desire hd & sgs2 regarding battery and in all the cases the above procedure helped me out greatly.

Another option is to simply root and delete your battery stats, that way you can re-calibrate the battery.

Back