Streaming live TV channels over the internet on a Samsung TV

ryu_88

Disciple
Hey TechEnclave community,

I'm at a confusion - I just got a new Samsung TV and am trying to find alternatives to tatasky/other dish/cable TV services - are there any apps/services that let me stream live TV channels over the internet? (looking for indian news and sports channels mainly, willing to pay for a subscription too). Please let me know what I could consider.

Thanks in advance

@ryu_88

Does your samsung tv have android OS or Tizen? I have no clue about Tizen but if it is Android OS I can probably tell you the options. I do not have any sort of DTH or cable at home and I have 3 TVs and all use internet to stream live tv. Here are your options..

1. Install Kodi and then install an addon for Jio tv through Botallen repo (google about this). You will need to login with your Jio number in the addon and all Jio tv live channels (except star channels) will work. But remember all channels will play in SD only, even if it is HD channel.
  2. Install TiViMate app and add m3u list (PM me for that). Remember that this will or will not work always. But still in my experience, it is fairly reliable.
  3. Apps - There are plethora of LiveTV apps available where you can watch Live TV but many will not have compatibility with TV Interface so using them is pain and honestly you are better off not using them.
I personally rarely watch Live TV so I am ok with SD on Jio. My dad watches TV entire day and mostly news and he likes the TiViMate app better and the channels he wants most of the times work reliably. If it does not, he comes to Kodi.

assuming its android based

hotstar ? I have it setup on my TV, it has enough channels ig, it was free with airtel broadband

other than that there are other piracy options, I don't quite keep up as I don't watch TV, but some of them do offer tv interface, but I don't know if they are trustworthy as most of them aren't opensource and most likely need to be sideloaded.

kodi also has a lot of plugins which provide the same

I always add a firetv stick with Any TV bought, there are lot of options, I am on Jio Broadband and all subscriptions are included in the plan.
You always have kodi plugins, for free.

The Samsung Smart TV (using tizen) supports all the major streaming platforms like Hotstar/ Sony Liv/ Zee 5/ Voot etc. One you subscribe to these platform you'll have access to live channels of respective providers.
Hotstar as such doesn't provides feed of live channels but content of all these channels are available.

@ryu_88

Does your samsung tv have android OS or Tizen? I have no clue about Tizen but if it is Android OS I can probably tell you the options. I do not have any sort of DTH or cable at home and I have 3 TVs and all use internet to stream live tv. Here are your options..

1. Install Kodi and then install an addon for Jio tv through Botallen repo (google about this). You will need to login with your Jio number in the addon and all Jio tv live channels (except star channels) will work. But remember all channels will play in SD only, even if it is HD channel.
  2. Install TiViMate app and add m3u list (PM me for that). Remember that this will or will not work always. But still in my experience, it is fairly reliable.
  3. Apps - There are plethora of LiveTV apps available where you can watch Live TV but many will not have compatibility with TV Interface so using them is pain and honestly you are better off not using them.
I personally rarely watch Live TV so I am ok with SD on Jio. My dad watches TV entire day and mostly news and he likes the TiViMate app better and the channels he wants most of the times work reliably. If it does not, he comes to Kodi.
Thanks for your reply, It uses Tizen and not the normal android os. Unable to PM you, how do i add the m3u list? Thanks in advance

Back