Study Abroad Help Please

qsahmed

Disciple
I am planning to do MS in Computer and Electrical Engg. or just Computer Science.
I gave GRE last year in November and scored 1350 (550V + 800Q, AWA 3.0)
Will write TOEFL in April.
Currently I am working in Tata Consultancy Services, Mumbai as a web application developer.
I completed B.Tech Computer Engineering in 2010 from Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi with CPI of 7.23/10.
I will have the LOR from my professors and from my collegues in TCS.
Guys please answers these questions..please help me...i m confused a lot.

Q1. What are my chances of getting admission in top 50 univ in US/Canada/uk ?
Q2. In which universities should I apply ?
Q3. Will I get any kind of scholarship ?
Q4. What much money will I require ?
Q5. When should I start to apply ?

So far i have shortlisted these univ..
1. University of Florida
2. University of british columbia
3. Arizona state university
4. University of southern california.

guys please help me regarding universites ...please suggest.

also which book is best for toefl preparation.

waiting for replies..

Thanks

1. A lot of other things count, like your school grades, extra curriculars, research papers etc, then your essays and stuff. But assuming they are just as good as the things you have mentioned, you are almost a sure shot in Top 50 US MS colleges, however Top 20 will be really really difficult with this GRE score unless you are exceptional otherwise. Also, your Quant has to be at least 790/800 out of this 1350 else there is a problem.

2. Check financial times and topuniversities.com and google. Choose only those colleges which are in Top 50 in the US and Top 100 globally in each and every list, and check at least three lists. Just because a college is very good or bad in one list, don't take it blindly. Only a college which consistently makes it to the Top 50 mark in US in at least 3 top rankings, should be considered.

3. Usually there aren't many upfront scholarships for Indians. You need to go there and work hard and if you become a research assistant, the second year's fees is null and void and chances are that you can earn enough to fend for that year as well.

4. Anything from 50-75 lacs in US for 2 years for most of the good colleges assuming you don't get scholarship. Total around 50-70 lacs you can assume. 80+ if you want to live life king size :D

4. Start the process of planning several months, atl east 6 months in advance, if not 12 months!

Apply to at least 20-30 colleges so that you are guaranteed a call from at least 2-3. Choose a few from every category, the most probably ones the most of course. Application alone will go into a few lacs, 1-3 lacs approx! for all colleges combined that is

1. UF should be your last choice. For MS it is like Top 100-200 in USA, not Top 50 wordwide, leave alone in the US. That should be your very last choice. Chances are that it is good for MBA but perhaps not that good for MS.

2. UBC is very good I guess, but prefer a Top 50 (global) US college over a Top 30 (global) Canada college. However, you do stand a chance here imo, assuming your other things are equally good

3. not sure

4. Really good, you may scrap through but with this GRE and just avg sorta profile, it could be nearly impossible as well unless you show something really good somewhere

ronnie_gogs said:
www.edulix.com You would get much better advice in this forum

Its for admissions outside india... Lots of helpful guides and people :)

+1

Frankly, compared to edulix, what metalspree has mentioned is worthless.

So much so that I'll say, even the info rite has given is better (with caveats and exceptions)

Sent from my SCH-I500

Back