CPU/Mobo Successor to P5B dlx...Advise on a Mobo???

Vandal

Skilled
I have a q6600, and may opt for a quad penryn, mainly looking at seamless 1333 FSB, and a stable overclocker. Solid caps is a necessity, and I want something which runs cool, with the FSB at 390 MHz or thereabouts (modest overclocks). I'll also be looking at tight memory latencies 3-3-3-8 @ ddr2 800, currently I'm doing 4-3-3-8 at the same speed on my P5B dlx.

Budget - up to 15~16K max.

Candidates:-

Asus Striker (biased towards)
Asus P5K dlx (biased towards)
Asus Blitz formula (biased towards)
Asus P5K premium
Gigabyte P35 DSR3 (Do not like the enormous heatpipe solution on the DQ6 so its out)
MSI P35 Diamond
MSI P35 Platinum
Don't consider the audio solutions as I have an X-Fi Platinum already. Also I am not really in a position to afford SLI right now, but am looking at the 680i purely for features, performance, and OC'ability.

I also need an additional PCI slot well away from the PCIe slot which has an 8800gtx + HR03 plus that takes a sh1tload of space. the P5B dlx has the last slot at the bottom as a PCI slot, this suits me.

Have I missed any worthies - any other boards?

Oh and the chipset should be either a 680i or a P35. I am biased towards the 680i, but want something hassle free, like my P965. Are NVIDIA solutions hassle free these days? Advise, I've not used NVIDIA on Intel personally. Also will the memory unlinking on the 680i help me?? I ask because this was supposed to remove poor memory from the equation as a limit for OC'ing. I happen to have good memory (micron D9's @ 1066, my OCZ Platinum XTC's)

But I need advice as to which is more suitable for me. Can anyone do a vis-a-vis chipset comparison please?

No newegg, I need my local warranty on this one...

I'll be sticking with this board for another year and a half so it better last as far as features and expandibility go.

Advise guys...

you have good memory so you can go for a p35 chipset mobo, go for the abit ip35 pro, if you want warranty, you can buy it locally for some 12.3k, donot look at a 680i chipset mobo as u are not using value ram

gauravt said:
you have good memory so you can go for a p35 chipset mobo, go for the abit ip35 pro, if you want warranty, you can buy it locally for some 12.3k, donot look at a 680i chipset mobo as u are not using value ram

did i miss something???? whats the connection between good ram and 680i, are you saying that 680i cannot handle enthusiast level ram??? they are damn good overclockers but yeah for other feature set i would also suggest P35 chipset board.

thebanik said:
did i miss something???? whats the connection between good ram and 680i, are you saying that 680i cannot handle enthusiast level ram??? they are damn good overclockers but yeah for other feature set i would also suggest P35 chipset board.

i think what he meant was that there are no dividers on p35 hence u need good ram for ocing on it. & not 680i u can use crappy ram & still oc the processor higher using dividers.

thebanik said:

Stormy's right...read below. You need to get some more perspective and use other boards before you feel every statement is takin a hit @ your hardware pal ;)

Maximus would be better than a 680i? Sandy gimme some points for and against please??? Any review links or something?

p35 lanparty :hap2: .. if u want to purchase now ..

or wait for dfi x38 lanparty

my bro has asus p5k dlx .. not very impressed with it ..

Vandal said:
Stormy's right...read below. You need to get some more perspective and use other boards before you feel every statement is takin a hit @ your hardware pal ;)

Maximus would be better than a 680i? Sandy gimme some points for and against please??? Any review links or something?

VR-Zone : Technology Beats - Gigabyte X38-DQ6 vs Asus Maximus Formula - The Battle of the X38 Giants

the Asus P5E is same as Asus Maximus Formula in performance & $40 cheaper :)

but i would suggest waiting for Abit IX38 QuadGT :D

Tirupati Enterprises will get it surely after it releases on newegg or a member of another forum will ;)

Udit said:
VR-Zone : Technology Beats - Gigabyte X38-DQ6 vs Asus Maximus Formula - The Battle of the X38 Giants

the Asus P5E is same as Asus Maximus Formula in performance & $40 cheaper :)

but i would suggest waiting for Abit IX38 QuadGT :D

Tirupati Enterprises will get it surely after it releases on newegg or a member of another forum will ;)

Yes I liked the Abit IX38...only issue is they aren't as proven as asus, and not as newbie friendly. Not that I'm one :p but I don't like hassles...

lets see. Thanks for that option...

Actually ABIT used to be a more over clocker friendly manufacturer than ASUS or just about any other mainstream company. They have fallen on slight times, but looks like they are back esp with the P35 series and on. So I wouldn't have any hesitiation going for them esp at the budgets you have.

Back