PC Peripherals Suggest a basic B/w printer for local home tasks

nRiTeCh

Skilled
I need a basic B/W Printer. (Inkjet/Deskjet only)

Usage: Very basic.
Occasionally Print CVs, word/excel reports, tutorials, articles etc.
No multimedia or photo/image printing.

Budget: The cheaper the better. But should be economic on cartridges.

Brand: Open to any good. In the past have used HP and Epson and had good experience with them.

** The printer shouldn't be a power hogger as it will be running on UPS at times during power cuts. So power factor is also important.

Last edited:
Has to run on UPS? Inkjet only.

Get the most basic HP printer. Cheapest of the lot.
But heard that HP is taxing on ink + costly cartridges. Hence I last shifted to Epson. No idea of todays scenario but still any models you may recommend?

RICOH SP 200 Single Function Laser Printer (Black/White) -3500.

Cartridge Cost @ 399

No mate no Laserjet. The usage will be way tooo much considering the mentioned purpose.
Just inkjet or deskjet.

But heard that HP is taxing on ink + costly cartridges. Hence I last shifted to Epson. No idea of todays scenario but still any models you may recommend?

No mate no Laserjet. The usage will be way tooo much considering the mentioned purpose.
Just inkjet or deskjet.

HP refills were easier than Epson which last I heard was ensuring you cannot refill - some anti refilling software/firmware? You need to ensure that the specific system allows refills.

you are going to waste your time, money and energy on inkjets, if your usage is too less.
I agree. Inkjets actually waste a lot of ink sitting around. Know the jhig-jhag-kang-dong sounds that inkjet printers make randomly every now and then? That's them 'cleaning' themselves. With what? Ink!
Every time there is a power cut and it makes that sound restarting? Yup - ink.
I have since converted to a really nice basic laser printer (Brother HL-L2321D) . Got it for 5800 and considering it does automatic duplex printing, it's awesome!

Back