PC Peripherals Suggest a gaming keyboard, and can I consider wireless?

Vandal

Skilled
Good to be back on TE after eons. My Logitech G15 is still running happily after 6+ years of use, and I love it to bits. I have hammered it, dropped it, but it still works perfectly. Although some of the keys have gotten a tad hard.

I'm looking for a new gaming keyboard, and got confused by the sheer wealth of choices. Would like to know:
1) What are your recommendations for a nice keyboard. Nothing too expensive, max 3.5k-5k. Durability is a definite plus and expected.
2) Can I use a wireless keyboard to game? It would serve dual purposes with me, would prefer a WL one, but how about response/poll rate, reliability etc?
3) Would prefer a 3 year warranty, and I'm not sure about mechanical, everyone says they rock, but I have never tried one. I started with membrane.
4) Backlighting on the keys is a must, and if some macro keys would be nice, I would prefer audio controls on the keyboard.
5) Do any keyboards come with a built in mic? I am using a Soundmax Superbeam mic, and wouldn't mind an upgrade (I hate wearing headphones while gaming). Would pay a bit extra for this feature.

Looking for some meaningful advice mates :D

After using the Corsair K90, Black widow and finally G19s. I love the non mechanical G19s the most. Corsair got problems twice and Blackwidow I never really liked.

Also have a look at CM Quick Fire Pro. It uses Chery Red Switches and is very sturdy.

Logitech G105, and G510 are also good options.

Last edited:
As far as gaming is concerned stick to wired keyboard else you will feel lag.

Mechanical keyboards with macro features and backlighting is outside you budget. So use a non mechanical as suggested by some.

I tried the G510s but didn't like it, returned to Flipkart. Moreover it had some damage on arrival. I found it cramped compared to my G510 and kept hitting the macro keys. my left hands little finger can rest between the tab key and the macro keys on my G15, cannot on this. Is the G19 more spaced out than the G510S? I don't use the LCD, so it is a waste. What about the G110, is it more spaced out? And does the G110 come with a palmrest?

Hi, I don't think longevity of even membrane keyboards is bad. With the exception of Razer products, which in my opinion tend to get spoiled faster, and I am looking for a gaming keyboard :) not a regular one

The Apex RAW does indeed look good, but some reviews say the palmrest is uncomfortable. Most likely looking at the G510 or the G105. I just wish their keys are as wonderful as my old G15...

Hi guys, an update - Tried out the G19 and the G510s - honestly, I'm finding the resistance of the keys a bit too much to overcome. I don't recall if my G15 ever felt this stiff when it was new, but I don't think so. This is quite annoying while playing games, or even typing, because in a game for example, I'm forever having to focus on keeping the directional keys pressed. Even a slight lack of focus, and the W key will let up and my character/vehicle will stop. While typing out emails, I'm finding that after a 20 minutes or so, my fingers are getting a bit fatigued.

Did Logitech change the key designs? Can anyone who used the original G15 and any of the newer ones also comment? Because I am finding these new keyboards from Logitech weird. Additionally, the keyboard layout is a bit more cramped too which would also have to adjust to. Returned G510s and G19, still looking for a good keyboard to buy.

Back