Graphic Cards Suggest a GPU for Intel P4 Rig

karan6888

Disciple
Hi I have an old p4 desktop and i am planning to buy a new 23 or 24 inch monitor for it. I use it basically for watching movies listening to music etc. I dont mind the overall performance but it gets a litlly laggy when i watch HD content.

I think i have some intel graphics as of now.

Also I am not too sure if i can get a graphics card for my PC. When i bought my desktop the computer vendor said my mobo does not support graphics card. The only slots it has is the one you fix the lan card in (dont know what it is called).

Please suggest me a GPU keeping all the above in mind and as cheap as possible (need to buy monitor too)

thanks

EDIT: I HAVE ONLY PCI SLOTS.

you will need to change your motherboard. look out for a used intel 845 chipset motherboard with AGP slot. (old mobo of P4 times had only AGP slots that too only 4x)

search on TE if someone has old 845 series mobo with AGP. like Asus P4GE MX, Intel D845GB etc. you should get it real cheap say for rs 1000 or less.

you will then need to look out for old AGP cards like GeForce5500FX. If you get a mobo supporting 8x, then you can lookout for cards like geforce 6600 LE/GT, 6800, etc. ensure they have DVI-out. so that u can connect it to ur monitors DVI port. VGA would do no harm, but digital is better.

A word of caution here, since these stuff are really old, i am not sure ho much support its drivers would provide in working with HD content.

search in TE threads for the above.

There's no good way to say this, but you are going to have to do a major/overall upgrade to justify spending any money right now.
If budget is a problem, then the best way to go about it is a step by step phased upgrade.
Firstly, Is your P4 a socket 775 chip? If yes, then you can upgrade 1 component at a time and keep your PC operational throughout. If not, you will have to change the motherboard and CPU together. Second thing to check/specify what RAM you are using right now i.e. DDR1/DDR2.

Once you get Mobo+CPU+RAM out of the way, then we can talk about the other stuff.

wont something like this work ?

IF this doesnt work i guess i am better off getting a new desktop. The one i am using is more than 7 years old anyway :D

karan6888 said:
wont something like this work ?

IF this doesnt work i guess i am better off getting a new desktop. The one i am using is more than 7 years old anyway :D

If can get one it will surly work. But look at the price 89$ ie. around 4-5k in India.

Better upgrade your system- if you just need an desktop-listeing music and watching movie at large screen is your concern - why not get a Atom based Pc- even you build one yourself. atom cpu+mobo combo will cost around 3.8k and add another 1.5k for 2gb of ram and TOTAL - 5.3k and you are good to go. You can still use your current psu and cabby.

Alternate Rig(source):

sempron 140: 1.8k

Asus M2N 68 Am Plus: 2.5k

2GB 667: 0.8k

Total >> 5.1k

If I build a new system i might as well go all out and get a good performance system that i can use for gaming too. I have a HP desktop as of now, can i use the same cabinet, dvd writer, linksys wireless card and hard drive (i have an 80gb HD, I will use it in addition to a 500gb or 1TB hard drive.)

Back