Car & Bike Suggest a mid-range bike

zhopudey

Skilled
My platina has dragged on for almost 5 years now, and I'm thinking of retiring it before it falls apart :p Now, I would have loved to get a Dazzler - except that I'll only use the bike to commute to and from the railway station. It's around 7km one way. Spending 70k+ for this seems like a real waste of money to me.

The CB Twister also looks like a good bike, but going from 100cc bike to 110cc doesn't seem like an real upgrade :p So, what options do I have in 125/135cc that are considerably cheaper than 70k? (Only honda, yamaha or suzuki please).

I browsed thru xbhp forums. While there are umpteen threads on 150cc and above bikes, and budgets of 70k and above, the only thread I found about a 125cc query was not approved - with a message from the mod saying the topic has been discussed plenty of times before, and links provided to earlier threads which were around a year old :p What a bunch of snobs :rofl:

Added onroad prices in thane. Why doesn't yamaha provide prices on their website? :mad:

Slingshot Drum 52957
Slingshot Plus Drum 54041
Twister Drum 54095
Slingshot Disk 54621
Slingshot Plus Disk 55705
Shine Drum 56734
Twister Disk 57554
Stunner Drum 60154
Shine Disk 60195
Stunner Disk 63615
Unicorn Disk 69948
GS150R Drum 70735
Unicorn Dazzler Disk (dual) 73686

P.S. - how does this table thingy work?

About 8 months back even I had purchased a similar bike for ditto same usage as yours.

I had done a lot of recci before buying and the bikes I was looking at were Honda CB Shine, Bajaj Discover, Suzuki Zeus, Passion Plus and Passion Pro.

Both the Zeus and Bajaj Discover have bad build quality and start corroding within 3 months, their rear indicators start bending pretty fast and apart from that at their respective service center people had a really big story to tell about some regular problems. Honda Shine is a really good bike. I didn't go for Honda as they have a relatively small service center(in Panvel)[I forgot about it on the day of buying :( ] but the Honda CB Shine is a really good and dependable bike.

I purchased a Hero Honda Passion Plus. The bike that had and has the best track record(even after being one of the most sold 2-wheeler in India). This thing is very solid and nicely built. I had an accident on the 2nd month itself when a dog jumped across the road and hit my front wheel, luckily I was fine courtesy to my college back-pack but the bike took a blow. But still after just one kick it came back to life. And I took it back to the service center and the guys took three days and made the bike as good as new once again(+50% discount thanks to insurance).

Just after I purchased the bike the monsoons started after getting wet almost everyday there's almost no sign of rust/corrosion till now. Apart from that they provide a really good service(first six services being free). I bought Passion Plus(NOT Passion Pro) since it didn't have a self start and the self-start mechanism are known to give trouble during the monsoons.

The Suzuki GS150R which is a good bike and came at a VFM price of 55K 8 months back but it was too big/tall for me. A month after I made the purchase Honda released CB Twister(not a good bike & looks plastiky and has realyyy thin wheels, I had seen it before being released as an Unnamed bike) and Suzuki released Sling Shot in the similar price bracket. So look at them too if you like.

So basically you can look at the following bikes to choose from :

Honda CB Shine

Hero Honda Passion Series

Hero Honda New Super Splendor

Yamaha SZ(only the new SZ series)

Suzuki GS150R

Honda CB Unicorn(My first choice but the waiting period was very long, it still is one of the best overall bike)

Cheers.

You can have a look at pulsar 135 for 150cc performance at 60k or else honda stunner is also a good option in 125 cc segment.

I got the Yamaha Gladiator for ~ 55.5k OTR. (Self start and Disc Brakes :)) The SS is now the same as Gladiator. Have been using the bike for 1.5 yrs (~7.5k kilometers) No issues till date and excellent VFM in that price range IMO :D

Sorry, no bajaj :)

Based on pricing, I can shortlist Slingshot, Twister and Stunner (all with self start, alloys and disk brakes). Twister is too expensive for a 110cc, and stunner goes above 60K, where I start considering Unicorn - my all time fave :p

Where can I find onroad prices for yamaha bikes in Thane?

I rode my friend's yamaha sz over the weekend and must say pretty impressed with with. it was a 2 month old bike.

the bike is quite peppy and felt very light in handling (i have a 3 yr old discover 125 cc which is pretty heavy compared to hero honda/other bikes).

Maybe you can take a test ride of it.

Back