Monitors Suggest a Monitor+Graphic card combo

baccilus

Skilled
1. I have a Coolermaster Extreme Power Plus 460Watt PSU. NO, I am not going to get a new PSU.
2. I have enough space only for a 19 or 20" monitor. Currently using a 17", CRT monitor and it's already cramping my table. So I don't want a 22" Monitor.

I just saw a 19" monitor in a shop and I realised that it is too small. There is no point in going from a 17" CRT to a 19" monitor. It's vertical length actually seemed smaller than my 4:3 CRT.
3. Budget is 10-14K
4. Rest of the system: E4600, 3GB RAM( 2 * 1, 2 * 0.5), ASRock945DVI Motherboard, 2 optical drives(I can remove one if power is a problem), 2 SATA Hard disks (80GB+250GB), 3 fans in the cabinet(2*80mm + 1 * 92mm). Currently I have an XFX 8500GT which I have been using since the last 2 years. I can still easily play on it without any problem.
5. I have no problems with either ATI or nVidia. But I usually boot into Linux when not gaming, so consider that too if drivers are a big issue. I am OK with a little bit tweaking and online guide-reading to get things running even on ATI.
6. I am a Gamer.
7. Was looking at Samsung 2033SW and seems like a good choice. But will the 16:9 display look stupid? Will it be a NO-GO for gaming?
8. I live in Chandigarh, so can easily pick stuff from Amarbir.

Thank you all for your suggestions in advance. Tell me if I have missed something.

Gannu said:
Dell E1909W + 4670 1GB ? That'd fetch you around 7.5k + 4.8k. No clue about Samsung LCDs.

perfect combo, or u cld have gone 4 HD4850 (after the recent price cuts) but i dnt trust CM Extreme power series ... so gannu's option is the best.

I just saw a 19" monitor in a shop and I realised that it is too small. Hell even 20" seemed closer in size to my present monitor than I would have liked. There is no point in going from a 17" CRT to a 19" monitor. It's vertical length actually seemed smaller than my 4:3 CRT.

^^so u can go for a 22" one, the best is Samsung 2233SW + a graphics card. But u'll need a high end graphics card to play games in this LCD. Minimum must be 4850 GPU which u should buy if u are going for 2233SW.

If you're going for a 22 inch, you're gonna have to get a better GPU, which in turn will require a better PSU(Read: more money). Since your 10-14k budget includes the monitor, either stick to your CRT and upgrade later or get a 19incher + HD 4670 as suggested above.

Do consider a better PSU though, if not now, maybe in the near future.

@Saqib, Amien: Isn't the Power requirement of HD 4770 less than that of a HD 4850. Are you sure my card won't be able to handle either of these cards? I bought it just a day before yesterday. Amarbir assured me that this PSU can easily handle a 4850 so I went for it. I read this review and had a positive impression of this Power Supply.

I am ready to loose one of the Optical drives or even the fans (Will keep the cabinet open) if that makes it possible to use this power supply.

baccilus said:
@Saqib, Amien: Isn't the Power requirement of HD 4770 less than that of a HD 4850. Are you sure my card won't be able to handle either of these cards? I bought it just a day before yesterday. Amarbir assured me that this card can easily handle a 4850 so I went for it. I read this review and had a positive impression of this Power Supply.
I am ready to loose one of the Optical drives or even the fans (Will keep the cabinet open) if that makes it possible to use this power supply.

Your card? :S
You mean your PSU?
Firstly, the 4670/4770 Power consumption:- The 4670 has a 70W TDP as compared to 80W for the 4770, it's a small difference though. 4850 has a 110W TDP, definately a big difference, so yes, you are right.
Yes, your PSU will handle the 4770, but it is hardly available and i'd rather not risk a 6.5k-7k card with a low end PSU like that. At the end, the card suffers due to the quality of power supplied more than the total juice needed to run.
In anycase, it's fine to go for a 4770, provided you can find one.

Amien said:
i'd rather not risk a 6.5k-7k card with a low end PSU like that.

Dont scare away the OP! The 4770 would run just fine with the CM EPP460W PSU. Anything above the 4870 would not make sense with this power supply since the card draws a significant amount of power.

Amarbir might have the HD4770 in stock. Shoot him a PM.

Gannu said:
Dont scare away the OP! The 4770 would run just fine with the CM EPP460W PSU. Anything above the 4870 would not make sense with this power supply since the card draws a significant amount of power.

Amarbir might have the HD4770 in stock. Shoot him a PM.

I mentioned it'd work fine, it's just that i woudn't do it. I follow the principle of balance, and pairing similarly priced components together.

The 4770 is an awesome card, but by far the factor working against it is the low availability.

Amien said:
Your card? :S
You mean your PSU?
Firstly, the 4670/4770 Power consumption:- The 4670 has a 70W TDP as compared to 80W for the 4770, it's a small difference though. 4850 has a 110W TDP, definately a big difference, so yes, you are right.
Yes, your PSU will handle the 4770, but it is hardly available and i'd rather not risk a 6.5k-7k card with a low end PSU like that. At the end, the card suffers due to the quality of power supplied more than the total juice needed to run.
In anycase, it's fine to go for a 4770, provided you can find one.
Do you think the availability will increase in future? I have heard that HD 4770 was supposed to be cheaper that a 4850 but is selling for more. Will increase in availability effect the price?

baccilus said:
Do you think the availability will increase in future? I have heard that HD 4770 was supposed to be cheaper that a 4850 but is selling for more. Will increase in availability effect the price?

Yup, it's expensive now because of the low availability, It should retail for 6.5k or so IMO once it's a little less rare, however that could take time and im not sure if you want to play the waiting game.

Don't invest in the HD4850 now .. , not worth the money . Wait for HD4770 .. should be here soon or go in for a second hand HD4850 .. easily available at < 5.75k .

Because of the power consumption issue, and the increase in the cost involved, I have no choice but to play the waiting game. I also need more time to get enough money if I want to go in for 22" monitor and HD 4770. I hope it is not an artificially craeated paucity to jack up the prices because then I will have to wait too long. HD4770 to HD4850 is a huge jump in Power consumption while HD 4770 is just 10 W greater than HD4670.
Only problem is the newer cards may come by the time I have enough money.

So I have decided to get Samsung 2233SW+HD4770 whenever they are available in my budget.
If it takes too long, I will buy Samsung 2033SW+HD4670.

Thanks a lot guys.

What do you think about AOC F22 Monitor? It's specs are really good but I haven't found too many reviews. It is more than a 1000 bucks cheaper than Samsung 2233SW. HD4770 also seems to be available atleast from Amarbir so the combo will cost me 16K. After selling my old monitor and Graphic card, I may be able to buy the Monitor-graphic card combo for around the 14K budget.

So what do you think guys?

Anyone? I want to know about AOE F22.

Back