Suggest a used car for a family of 4

Dr. Watson

Recruit
- Title is misleading. I want to avoid unwanted attention. My online life is not private.
- This is my second ID on TE. Mods: Please don't delete it until my job is done.
- Others: Don't reveal my identity, if you happen to get a whiff of it. At least not until my job is done.

So what's the job?

I need suggestions from tech folks to help me build a camera setup for capturing some wrong deeds. I have lots of audio recording but with AC/fan noise. After cleaning it up, the conversation gets little distorted. Though, police won't consider audio/video as an evidence, I'd still want to hand over the recordings to them as a 'saboot' :p

Why I need video?

I capture 9 hours of audio each day and it takes me awfully long time (18 hours!) to listen, edit, filter, transcript, re-check it. Sometimes the end result is incomprehensible. This activity is draining my energy. If I have the video, then I'll just have to delete the unneeded parts. I won't have to listen intently and create a transcript file. Moreover, the video will alleviate any doubts from the incomprehensible audio files.

Problem:

I haven't seen the place where I want to install the camera. I'll take a confidante's help to gain access. This also means that I'll have only one shot to do it right the first time. So, after gathering all kinds of camera options from TE, I'll take a look of the venue and then assemble the gear. It's not possible to check out the venue until a week. So, I'll utilize this time to gain knowledge and gather the right equipment.

Assumptions:

• The location of camera placement may not have an electric outlet. So, I'll go with battery backup option. Bulky though.
  • The furniture and stuff in the room (the venue) is setup by the very people whom I want to capture on the camera. Anything out of place may gets noticed. So my camera cannot be a wall clock, teddy bear etc. But, I may be able to introduce something of this sort through my confidante.
  • The place is quite. I'll have to rip off the speakers etc from the device to avoid any beeps for low batt, low space warnings.

Requirements:
  • Small video camera setup to record at least 9 hours of video on battery backup.

Progress so far:

I visited a spy camera store. They have lots of options but they all have low storage space and battery backup. I'll have to tinker with them for my use. I can enter the venue or send someone to collect the recordings only after 10 hours of placing the camera. So, I don't want those readymade spy cams to start overwriting or run out of juice.

Searched on Chinese websites but they have mixed reviews. But I'll spend some money on them, in case I don't come up with my own gear in the next 2 weeks.

I've already made small 12V power supply, which may prove useful in case there's a possibility of stealing 240V mains. Placed order for 32Gb SD cards.

Queries:

1) How's the combination of a mobile phone with power bank? It's bulky, difficult to hide and focus but may provide long backup in terms of battery and space. I'll remove the speakers/vibrator.

2) I haven't done something at this small scale, but is it possible to detach the mobile camera unit and extend it out of the mobile case by extension cables? The idea is to install the camera at an inconspicuous place while keeping the bulk aside (mobile + powerbank).

3) Any suggestions if someone else has carried out similar task?... may be for wildlife photography? I can use some ideas/tricks.

I am buying new stuff because I'll hand over the equipment to police afterwards. I need to involve police as the situation may turn ugly when I'll let those people know about the audio and video recordings. Also, I've started to made arrangement for my own security. Don't want to get shaheed in my attempt to become a detective :dead:. BTW, police station and hospital are at a walking distance from my home. :cool:

Best of luck... to me!

Back