Suggest a washing machine within 25k max

6pack

ex-Mod
Want to go for Front loader to save water. Lot of water problems in my society. I only get water for 30 minutes per day and the pressure is low. So not enough to fill the water tank completely.
A top loader uses almost 60% of the water in the tank.

Looking for a 5 star energy rated wm. 6-6.5KG capacity.
Should work on low pressure water. (If not possible I'll try to get a booster pump installed).
Heard about whirlpool zero pressure wm and some Haier wm that runs off 0.9bar water pressure but couldn't find those on the web.

I have shortlisted these washing machines in mind.

1. White Westinghouse 8.5kg Ultra Smart Dry Fully-Automatic Front Load with In-Built Heater Washing Machine, large (HDF8500/White/In-Built Heater) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B09B7QK78F?ref_=cm_sw_r_apann_dp_AMRTR7A5XQPDBG18T879

2. Samsung 6.0 Kg Inverter 5 Star Fully-Automatic Front Loading Washing Machine (WW60R20GLMA/TL, White, Hygiene Steam) https://amzn.eu/d/hxKSsIl

Want to go for Front loader to save water. Lot of water problems in my society. I only get water for 30 minutes per day and the pressure is low. So not enough to fill the water tank completely.
A top loader uses almost 60% of the water in the tank.

Looking for a 5 star energy rated wm. 6-6.5KG capacity.
Should work on low pressure water. (If not possible I'll try to get a booster pump installed).
Heard about whirlpool zero pressure wm and some Haier wm that runs off 0.9bar water pressure but couldn't find those on the web.

I have shortlisted these washing machines in mind.

1. White Westinghouse 8.5kg Ultra Smart Dry Fully-Automatic Front Load with In-Built Heater Washing Machine, large (HDF8500/White/In-Built Heater) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B09B7QK78F?ref_=cm_sw_r_apann_dp_AMRTR7A5XQPDBG18T879

2. Samsung 6.0 Kg Inverter 5 Star Fully-Automatic Front Loading Washing Machine (WW60R20GLMA/TL, White, Hygiene Steam) https://amzn.eu/d/hxKSsIl

Hey @blr_p need your help here bro

Last edited:
I highly recommend you pay a little bit of a premium and go with Bosch. The machines are silent in operation with virtually no vibrations (more so than the competition). I bought this 6kg variant a few months ago and I have nothing but praise for it. Granted, I don't have the same constraints where I live, but the machine is worthy of a look.

With max-width in your balcony of 58 cm, you cannot fit a FL unless you locate it elsewhere.
Yes, I thought about that. Max width is 58cm (red arrows) but length is about 8 ft. The standard dimensions are 60cm width x 44 to 48 cn depth x about 80 cm height. I can fit it if i keep the machine sideways along that 44-48cm depth side.

Image514852477728434715.jpg

Yes, I thought about that. Max width is 58cm (red arrows) but length is about 8 ft. The standard dimensions are 60cm width x 44 to 48 cn depth x about 80 cm height. I can fit it if i keep the machine sideways along that 44-48cm depth side.

View attachment 168609
Ah ok, with a photo it's more clear. The washing machine door will face the entrance to the balcony.

You still have 58cm of depth so look at 55 cm depth machines and forget those dinky 44cm ones

Hmm, I wonder how well this will work. Can anyone see a problem?

How high is your tank? from the balcony

Last edited:
Storage can be solved with a wrap-around washing machine cover. The rat guard will be fixed at installation time.

Running a machine that can be exposed to rain. That I don't know how to answer :sorry:

These aren't IP67 appliances you know. So you will have to fix some sort of plastic on the grill that prevents rain from falling on the machine. If some does there should not be a chance of shock. Circuit breakers and such that will disconnect in the event of a short circuit. Checked your grounding recently?

How's your wiring? this is a 16A appliance. Do you have a provision for a 16A outlet? real not pretend 16A :wideyed:

Get an opinion from a qualified electrician on whether this is a safe idea or not.

How high is your tank?

Last edited:
The wall near the drain has a real 16A socket. It's a bit high and can't be seen in the pic. It was for AC point but I don't have AC.

Loft tank is just @7ft height from the ground. There's a water outlet on that wall. Not much pressure though. Took the TL about 20+ minutes to fill water. If i started the machine at 9:30 am it would finish at about 11:40 am for a 46min program.
While I was using the TL, the water used to flood the balcony about 2 tiles wide since that drain has something in it like a cap with holes to prevent fast water drainage. I used to keep the TL on a 6" stand.
The TL used about 3/4 of a 400L tank on full load with 2 rinses. So that's i don't want to buy a TL now.

The standard dimensions are 60cm width x 44 to 48 cn depth x about 80 cm height. I can fit it if i keep the machine sideways along that 44-48cm depth side.
Yeah so a FL would be a step up. You still have not addressed the problem of rain and running the machine in those conditions. Usually, people who own their apartments convert these balconies into storage space by installing sliding windows and removing those grills. It would be the safest as no rain will get in. That might not be an option for you.

Much as I hate to recommend small machines it's your only option given the space constraint. Know why? if you expect the machine to last like your top loader that door has to be left open after a wash and in humid climates at least 8-12 hours. I leave mine wide open for that long since the beginning.

You have to close your balcony door. So to leave the washing machine door open by an inch you need another 14 cm depth which is just enough. Or you could situate the machine a little away from the balcony door so you can open the washing door completely and then close your balcony door. You would have to check if the door is allowed to be open 180 degrees. If you understand what I mean. That would be good.

A 55cm depth machine won't allow keeping the washing machine door open and the balcony door closed at the same time. If you don't keep the washing machine door open after a wash then does not matter how well you maintain the machine that spider is going to collapse in 5-7 years. The fix will be 6-10k. Instead of lasting twice as long.

The reason for leaving the door open is cannot stop detergent from depositing on the spider. Now this soap on aluminium is at its most corrosive when it is wet. But when it is dry then it is less corrosive. You can't prevent corrosion of the spider but you can delay it. This simple act of leaving the door open so it dries can potentially double the life of your machine.
Ideally, it should be 0.3 bar if the tank is just above. You will have to work with a minimum of 0.5 bar in your case.

You should walk over to the shops and check out these 44cm depth machines and see whether you can live with the drum size. Whether it's smaller than what you were used to or not.

The Max load with these machines is a slightly heaped 20L bucket.

Last edited:
Guess I'll get aTL then. Too many problems trying to force a FL in my house. There's a problem with an access to the kitchen with this balcony since the opening is barely around 60cm. There's too much stuff in the way to lug a 60+kg wm in that confined space.

Was searching Amazon for different TL and saw this snake oil type stuff being sold by IFB. Magnetic water treatment. Look at the promo pic with circular magnets attached to a pipe. Lol.

IFB 6.5 Kg 5 Star Top Load Washing Machine Aqua Conserve (TL-REWS 6.5KG AQUA, White, 2X Power Steam, 4 Years Comprehensive Warranty) https://amzn.eu/d/0KYquhY

Can you install a solar water heater since you're on the top floor? that will help with heating

a 46 min program at 30 degrees becomes 1h46 when heated to 40 degrees otherwise. A timer that you can set in advance will be very useful. Even use the machine app if it's available.
IFB 6.5 Kg 5 Star Top Load Washing Machine Aqua Conserve (TL-REWS 6.5KG AQUA, White, 2X Power Steam, 4 Years Comprehensive Warranty) https://amzn.eu/d/0KYquhY
Better options than REWS are available.

Are any IFB shops nearby so you can measure drum sizes?

If no solar heater option is available, the machine needs an internal heater. Wash your clothes at 40 degrees or close and stains and other gunk will come off better than whatever potluck temperature water comes out of your tap. The wash action in these top loaders is not as good as front loaders so hotter water helps.

There are three companies that offer machines with heaters. Panasonic, Bosch & IFB. There are others that advertise built-in heaters but the models below give you control of what temperature to set.

1) Panasonic would be the first choice. Since it is 60cm wide, this could fit sideways like you thought to use a front loader, as the depth is 52 cm. Check this post for more details.

2) Next up is Bosch. You want Series 6. The lower series require a hot water connection.

This one will fit. But can they deliver to your postcode?

Note where the console is located for the first two. It's at the back. Which is a better design choice from a longevity pov than having it upfront like the IFB's. As you unload the machine, damp clothe will brush against the console when its upfront

3) Your last option is IFB

TL - SPLS 8 kg Aqua
TL - SBRH 8 kg Aqua
TL - SDSH 8 kg Aqua

Three to choose from. If you can get delivery and service then you are set.

Considering the width of the 6.5kg IFB is already 57cm I'd recommend you go with something bigger like 8kg and enjoy the bigger tub while having the same width

Don't crib about the extra cost, this is an appliance that will last over a decade, might as well have something good and feel you got an upgrade.

Panasonic & IFB have smaller tubs than the Koreans for the same weight ratings. You might find the 8kg Panasonic or IFB is only slightly larger if not the same size as your earlier Samsung. So if you could check the tub size before buying that would be best.

Forget Samsung or LG. They don't offer separate temperature settings and hide behind just one steam program. I can't find anything that says steam cleans better than water at or around 40 degrees. Given a choice, I'd go with the latter. Consider these only if the option of a solar water heater exists.

On Sammy that steam program takes over four hours. With the others, setting it to 40 increases the cycle by an hour which is acceptable.

Last edited:
The only brands available in my pincode are Samsung, Whirlpool, LG, Godrej, Voltas Beko, Haier.

Amazon delivers Panasonic and IFB to my address but it will take a week.

Can't put solar heater since it's a society and they are too uptight about rules and whatnot. This week, entire water from my loft tank got sucked up into the overhead building tank at night and they refused to give me water the entire day beyond daily water timing which is 10pm. Bunch of AH. F them.

Loft tank is just @7ft height from the ground. There's a water outlet on that wall. Not much pressure though. Took the TL about 20+ minutes to fill water. If i started the machine at 9:30 am it would finish at about 11:40 am for a 46min program.
I'd scratch Beko from the list. These Euro companies expect municipal water pressures of 1 bar. Even for a top loader. Clearly they are still newbies in the Indian market

Beko water pressure_WTL60UPGC.jpg

Only people with a tank that is a minimum of thirty feet above them can hope to attain that pressure.

troubleshooting.jpg
So you will have to babysit and then open and shut the lid. No timer operation is possible.

Samsung and LG can work with 0.5 bar. That means a tank at 15 feet above the machine. With some give possibly.

No heating is possible with these so the wash quality will be slightly better if that. No real sense of upgrade unless you go for a DD LG model. I've also noticed the 6motion logo has disappeared from LG's top loaders. Only the term DD is there with made-in-India brands. The front loaders have it but not the top loader unless they're imports.

While I was using the TL, the water used to flood the balcony about 2 tiles wide since that drain has something in it like a cap with holes to prevent fast water drainage. I used to keep the TL on a 6" stand.
A FL would solve problems nicely but your space constraints are going to limit things.
Amazon delivers Panasonic and IFB to my address but it will take a week.
So what? Family can't help with that.Go find a dhobi or just ask your neighbours nicely :)

I don't know as yet what the water pressure requirements for Panasonic and IFB are since they don't post their manuals online.

IFB had the best written manuals and then one fine day they stopped

Last edited:
Only samsung and Whirlpool have option of taking back / disposing old machine. Panasonic is available at Reliance digital but they don't have the models with built in heater and don't have any exchange program. Don't want 2 machines at home. Tried to junk it, but the guy taking it didn't show up.

There's hardly any difference in price between TL with heater and the base FL. I'm thinking of getting a FL putting the FL in kitchen. But I'll have to make a new 16a point for that place since it only has one 5a socket. If i get a FL, can I keep the door ajar instead of completely open to help in the moisture evaporation?

Correction on the Panasonic top loader. It goes as low as 0.3 bar but they are smaller capacity machines

Panasonic water pressure.jpg

Surprised to find the Bosch toploader goes down to 0.2 bar for its top loader. Their front loaders want 1 bar or thereabouts

Bosch topload water pressure.jpg

How low a water pressure can an IFB Toploader handle? a limited selection of top load manuals available.

IFB top load water pressure.jpg

Same as their front loaders

Only samsung and Whirlpool have option of taking back / disposing old machine. Panasonic is available at Reliance digital but they don't have the models with built in heater and don't have any exchange program. Don't want 2 machines at home. Tried to junk it, but the guy taking it didn't show up.
This is a deal you will have to set up directly with the seller. I got my fridge exchanged by going outside Amazon. There was no exchange if I bought through Amazon and I ended up getting a little discount as well. Otherwise, just find a scrap guy and ask how much they will give you. You might get a better deal than online offers.
There's hardly any difference in price between TL with heater and the base FL. I'm thinking of getting a FL putting the FL in kitchen. But I'll have to make a new 16a point for that place since it only has one 5a socket. If i get a FL, can I keep the door ajar instead of completely open to help in the moisture evaporation?
heh so we're back to FL again. And how is the water pressure in the kitchen? and your space constraints. Do you look at 55cm or still stuck with 44cm for depth?

Can the door be left open? traditionally FL's are placed in kitchens in Europe under a counter top.

I'd recommend LG's for front loaders and their base models are a little more. But they have the best wash quality.

Last edited:
I think I'll end up buying whatever is there in store and who takes the old wm back. From past experience I've noticed that no matter how much I search online and try to get the best value machine in my budget, those models are never available in stores because of unknown reasons. Most of the population seems to buy those semi automatic twin tub contraptions where you end up manually pressing wet clothes inside a separate spinner tub about the size of a pipe. I had a similar Videocon model and I hated it.

Really sorry for making you research so much. If offline stores won't take the old machine I'll buy directly from the samsung app where there's an option to dispose the old machine only for select wm models. My first preference is TL with a heater and if there is hardly any difference in price between a. TL with heater and a FL, I'll probably go for the FL and whatever needs to be done for the machine to work (booster pump, power socket etc will be done). I'll update here with the model i bought and hopefully you won't pull your hair out in frustration.

I'll probably buy this Panasonic model
Panasonic 6.7 kg Built-in Heater Fully-Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine (NA-F67BH8MRB,Middle free silver,Active Foam System) with Water Reuse https://amzn.eu/d/faW2v5a

Last edited:
I think I'll end up buying whatever is there in store and who takes the old wm back. From past experience I've noticed that no matter how much I search online and try to get the best value machine in my budget, those models are never available in stores because of unknown reasons. Most of the population seems to buy those semi automatic twin tub contraptions where you end up manually pressing wet clothes inside a separate spinner tub about the size of a pipe. I had a similar Videocon model and I hated it.

Really sorry for making you research so much. If offline stores won't take the old machine I'll buy directly from the samsung app where there's an option to dispose the old machine only for select wm models. My first preference is TL with a heater and if there is hardly any difference in price between a. TL with heater and a FL, I'll probably go for the FL and whatever needs to be done for the machine to work (booster pump, power socket etc will be done). I'll update here with the model i bought and hopefully you won't pull your hair out in frustration.

I'll probably buy this Panasonic model
Panasonic 6.7 kg Built-in Heater Fully-Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine (NA-F67BH8MRB,Middle free silver,Active Foam System) with Water Reuse https://amzn.eu/d/faW2v5a
Your balcony space is a bit of a challenge but if 58cm is the actual width then any TL up to 7kg shall fit just cut-cut.

The challenge will be about cleaning the floors with broom...dust and any residue which might be very difficult to clean once the machine sits/occupies that space.
Though machines arent heavy at least not a TL (I myself lift the entire machine to take iit off its stands to clean and place it back) but it might get a monthly job for you and esp. frequently as and when required if you have kids at home who play and their stuff goes rolling underneath the machine then it's all stuck unless you lift her.

As for rain, you can install the toilet curtains in your balcony specifically covering the machine area and you are all set. (Can say coz my uncle in Mumbai is in similar state whee his machine sits in dry balcony and during rains its all water but curtains counter almost 90% rains, rest whatever enter through gaps flows through the sink..so no flooding biz nor any damage to the product, been 8yrs or so now)

Anyways,
I bought this LG TL in last yr Diwali sale- Amazon. Was looking for 6.5kg but surprisingly got this 7kg at a very discounted rate.
Waited for 2 months doing research etc. but eod extremely happy with all the bonus features.

See if that suits your needs..

Update: that Panasonic machine with heater is 21k at reliance without any offer. 750 exchange for old machine.
There was a LG 7.5kg @18.8k with cc offer making it 18.1k including exchange of old machine.

Saw a Bosch 6.5kg TL without heater at 18k with exchange.

Edit: bought this for 19.4k with 3 yr extended warranty by reliance.

Last edited:
You should have gone with an 8kg TL LG in that case. Bigger tub. Why did you pull the trigger without asking?

An extended warranty is a waste of money. Nothing will happen within the first five years. Instead, I would prefer an extended warranty beginning in the 6 th year. That no one offers.
From past experience I've noticed that no matter how much I search online and try to get the best value machine in my budget, those models are never available in stores because of unknown reasons.
That is where you are going wrong. The best value is not always the best for you. It is for people who don't know better or could care less. Let whatever is in the shop or the sales guy make your mind up. They always push the cheaper stuff because that is a more certain sale than a better machine. Their interest, not yours. I never look for deals because they favour the seller, not the buyer. Sell more cheaper machines gets them their commissions over fewer pricier models

I experienced this when getting my FL and the guy in the shop kept pushing the 44cm model over the one I wanted. Kept saying you don't need the bigger one and I told him I did not care about paying an extra 10k for it. Then he did not have it and would need to get it from the warehouse. All sorts of excuses. I insisted and got what I WANTED rather than what HE WANTED. Some years later I was shocked to see a relative get suckered in the same way. When I asked him why he parroted out the same salesman's arguments :banghead:

I look for better and recommend better. I don't care for value because that is just budget crap.

I've said numerous times here, do not compromise requirements for the sake of budget, Trying to save 5k for an appliance that has a life of over a decade is silly. This is how everybody gets taken in. You say you have a budget of x. he offers you something for a little less and cons you into thinking you got better value. But you don't realise what you gave up.
Hey @blr_p need your help here bro
There is a lesson in here for those whose appliances are nearing, at or crossed ten years.

Look out for a replacement. There are different options available today. You need to check beforehand which brands offer service in your area and this can be time consuming. Some models which tick all the boxes may just not be available depending on where you live. If they are the tub sizes for equivalent kg ratings could be different. With the heater models, I find invariably this is the case. Getting used to a smaller tub when you had a bigger one might not be desirable

You know your constraints already. Space, water pressure, electricals etc. You don't need an additional time constraint on top.

What you don't want to do is start your research the day the machine dies and then run around like a headless chicken :)

In theory, top loaders can be maintained for a while but when there are catastrophic mechanical or PCB failures then you're up against the clock.

Last edited:
Back