Suggest book for learning C++

C++ is huge and difficult. A difficult path ahead for sure.I would recommend you to start with Accelerated C++ by Andrew Koenig to get a taste of modern C++. Follow it up with C++ Primer by Stan Lippman, a little difficult but discusses the complete language. At some point you should read "The C++ programming language" by Bjane Stroustrup(creator of the language)

>>Had C in my last sem.

In this case, I suggest you to read Thinking in C++ (leave Vol 2 for now, grab it later though).

haraakiri said:
C++ is huge and difficult. A difficult path ahead for sure.I would recommend you to start with Accelerated C++ by Andrew Koenig to get a taste of modern C++. Follow it up with C++ Primer by Stan Lippman, a little difficult but discusses the complete language. At some point you should read "The C++ programming language" by Bjane Stroustrup(creator of the language)
+ 1 to this. Almost covers what I wanted to say, except may be for Accelerated C++ (did not know about this one!).

The best book for learning C++ in my opinion is 'Starting out with C++' by Tony Gaddis.

Even if you have no prior programming experience, you can learn C++ easily. I can vouch for it coz i scored 58/60 theory and 20/20 in practicals in my final year Univ Exams in C++ just by this book.

I read Balguruswamy's book on C++, I found it very vague and useless.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Since I am in Electrical Stream, knowing the language in great detail is not a priority for me. But still I try to learn with as much detail as possible.

Since I was getting the book by Robert Lafore at a steal, I wanted to ask how good is it.

Is it as good as the ones mentioned by the others???

lafore was the best i could find in my scools library dude !

i say take it ! it doent have much graphics so kinda gets boring but everything is explained really well and slowly !

gud if you have time and want to make strong base in c++ .

Back