Suggest Good router for Office

Viz

Disciple
Dear all,
I have a small office space of about 28'x18' rectangle with just one 9" wall between myself and my team, we are currently 7 people connected via wireless to our routers, we have two Internet service providers and connected to two routers one is ASUS RT N66U and the other a D-link 2730u, most of the times, my team is on the D-link router most of the times and I will be on the ASUS RT, because if we all connect to one router, its slowing down, can you please suggest a good router that will keep us to get connected on one router that allows us to connect to at least 12 people taking into consideration future expansion., if that will be expensive, can you also suggest a reasonable router that can help us get connected for 6-7 people.

Ability to have NAS support will be great.

Thank you very much for all your time!

-Srinivas

Budget? Location?

If you want a good routing device - software based - pfsense. This runs on a computer. Has great features. Free.

basic routing and file server - Zentyal. Community edition is free.

Even cheaper - TP Link 470. But has some occasional hangs. Costs about 4K odd.

In all cases, you need to setup WiFi AP's and would need an extra switch.

Hi Vivek,
Thanks for your time, how about a budget of about 8K to 12 K, will that work? Location, I can order online, I am from Vizag.

You mentioned extra switch, with the current setup, I can't go for wired network, it has to be wireless, are you referring to a wireless switch? Please let me know, I am not good with networking.

That is too less for the pfsense/zentyal box. So, do the following :

Buy this : http://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-TL-R470T-Balance-Broadband-Router/dp/B004UC9V8Q/ - This will allow you to combne both ISPs into one.

Make the ASUS RT66 into a Access Point for WiFi.

What is the slowdown you mention? internet speeds? or local file sharing?

If its with Internet speeds, you can program the TP Link 470 to keep you on one ISP and the remaining on the other ISP.

if the issue is with local file sharing, then you need to check if the speeds are same on the LAN. If you are getting good speeds on LAN, the issue is with wifi. Else, your computer needs an upgrade.

If the issue is wifi only, then you need to identify the culprit - 802.11g client in 802.11n, using wrong WiFI settings...etc

Hi Vivek,
It seems the problem is over load on the Asus router when all 7 of us get connected to it, no local transfers, we sync all files to google drive at the end of the day. I will look into the firewall option as well.
Thank you for your help

Back