Suggest me how to setup my home wifi network

raman.bhadu

Market Restricted
Disciple
I have BSNL FTTH with Sharp AS-341 as main router. I have two routers at my home from previous connections.

D-Link 2730U https://www.dlink.com/en/products/dsl-2730u-wireless-n150-adsl2-router
TP Link TL-MR3420 Router ver2.4 https://www.tp-link.com/in/home-networking/3g-4g-router/tl-mr3420/

I want these two to expand wifi coverage in my home. Please suggest me how to setup these two with the main router. I have LAN cable with which I can connect one to the main router and other to the second router.

I see that your main router, (as well as other routers) are N300 only (meaning, 2.4GHz WiFi only, up to max 300mbps, and one is limited to 24mbps).
There is no seemless/fast roaming (Also known as mesh or AI Mesh) built into any of these routers. I am not sure if they support Access Point modes either.

What is your plan max bandwidth?

Is there any budget you can allocate to upgrade or do you want to strictly repurpose this hardware?

1- Yes they all are single band and are from my past setups.
2- My plan is only 30mbps because my usage is only web browsing on 1 PC and 720p or 480p youtube cartoon streaming.
3- I don't want to spend money because I don't need higher speeds as of now.
My pc is connected to main ONU router via LAN and three mobile with wifi.
I was thinking of connecting all the routers with LAN cable and to use them to spread wifi aroound my home.
ONU-LAN-TP-LINK-LAN-DLINK
Feel free to object anything I am doing wrong because I am not knowledgable in this matter.

Search for AP (Access Point Mode) on routers.
Basically, your config, like this:
ONU-LAN-TP-LINK-LAN-DLINK
Would cause one problem.
The ONU will have its IP (static or CG-NAT) from your ISP.
It will create a LAN for local clients (let's say 192.168.1.X)
If you connect the TP Link router's WAN port to ONU's LAN port, It will get IP (let's say 192.168.1.2) from the ONU. If the TP Link router does not support AP mode, it will create another local network (let's say 10.0.0.X).
Now if you connect the Dlink router's WAN port to TP Link router's LAN port, it will get IP (let's say 10.0.0.5) from TP Link router. If this router also does not support AP mode, it will create another local network (Let's say 20.0.0.X).
All devices will get their local IP depending on which connected WiFi they are on.
If you want to access a device connected directly to ONU's WiFi (With IP 192.168.1.99) from a device connected to other routers (IP 20.0.0.55), the requests would fail.

This is an example of double-triple-quadruple NAT-ing.

In an ideal world, you would only have the ONU assigning IP addresses to all clients irrespective of device they are directly connected to. This is exactly what happens if you put the subsequent routers in AP mode.

One suggestion:
Try connecting cables between LAN ports of all routers. (For example ONU's LAN1 port -> TP Link LAN1 port & TP Link LAN2 port -> Dlink LAN1 port)
This might make them act as switches with access point.
You can use different 2.4GHz WiFi SSIDs depending on where each router is located (like WiFi_Bedroom1, WiFi_LivingRoom, WiFi_Bedroom2)

TLDR:
All of this would not bother me if I am only using the config for accessing internet (Not trying to connect between two machines on internal network, or forwarding ports, or enabling UPnP etc). Otherwise you are creating a very complex network which will give you issues.

Thank you for your kind suggestion.
I am not that expert in this matter and didnot knew that I could access device over the same ip. I will use the network just for internet.

Back