Suggest me some GPRS plans

@madnav...dude, can you watch YouTube videos and all? the thing is HTTP sites even open with WAP GPRS but YouTube requires EDGE (i think) so could you please check and let me know.

@irfanlai Try 48/- one or lower packs. Did you tried with some other retailer??

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@Homer I used Docomo GPRS for previous 2months. It's EDGE service. As madnav said Dive In is the WAP one. You'll get two settings TATA DOCOMO DIVE IN (APN : TATA.DOCOMO.DIVE.IN) and TATA DOCOMO INTERNET (APN : TATA.DOCOMO.INTERNET) which is for GPRS/EDGE. You can open anything....from browsing to use applications which use different ports. And yes you can watch Youtube Videos. I used to watch lots of videos for consuming the bandwidth :p

You can even connect it to PC/Lappy and access Internet.

[quote name='krishnandu']@irfanlai Try 48/- one or lower packs. Did you tried with some other retailer??

I tried with only 1 retailer...will try with other retailer as well

Ya....well..this is not the actual solution but my be there is some problem on Retailer's side. Try with some other retailer. And if that fails too...don't recharge with 95/- try using the default pack and after you get everything successfully recharge with the bonus packs. In the mean time also try to speak to Customer Care and define them the problem. They will be able to solve your problem better. This is not a technical problem. May be something wrong with your plans. Well....anything could be...first try different Retailer.

@krishnandu ..... thanks for the update...the thing is their site is very misleading and does not provide accurate info. If you've used it and say it works and is truly unlimited then i'll give it a try :D thanks and I will update you guys on the same

krishnandu said:
Ya....well..this is not the actual solution but my be there is some problem on Retailer's side. Try with some other retailer. And if that fails too...don't recharge with 95/- try using the default pack and after you get everything successfully recharge with the bonus packs. In the mean time also try to speak to Customer Care and define them the problem. They will be able to solve your problem better. This is not a technical problem. May be something wrong with your plans. Well....anything could be...first try different Retailer.
I even spoke to CC ...they are just saying do special recharge...n im telling I have done that only still they cant figure out...so i Think will be going to their gallery n speak 2 them...

@krishnandu ........one last thing...u said you have to have to insert two APN's.... I dont have the liberty for that in the iPhone, only a single APN is allowed, so what if i only insert the TATA DOCOMO INTERNET APN, will it still work.... could you possibly try it and report back.

@Homer Yes for GPRS use that TATA DOCOMO INTERNET APN only. You won't need TATA DOCOMO DIVE IN. I think you didn't understand what I said. I said TATA DOCOMO DIVE IN is the WAP Portal on which browsing is Free(only that WAP portal) and this is what you don't need. As you'll be using GPRS/EDGE use TATA DOCOMO INTERNET. I didn't said I inserted two APN's. What I said is you'll get both the settings but use TATA DOCOMO INTERNET. In all phones only a Single APN is allowed. No one can use two APN at a time.

@irfanlai Looks strange. Try with some other Retailer. May be the retailer has done something wrong.

Homer said:
Right. thanks a ton....will report back in the night :)
Waiting for that..!! :)

Do write everything from how long it took to get activated, how much harrassment did you face to get the settings and everything. And after a month post a whole review of experience on mobile and pc both.

Yetaaaaaa!!! Ok, so i just got the sim and it worked. EDGE is working fine on the iPhone 3G . Now my only issue is the network :p .....in the hall of my home near the window, im only getting 3 bars so the speeds aren't great. Funny thing is I haven't paid anything for the SIM and yet I got a Rs.44.5 balance. Right now I havent applied for any GPRS packs yet. need to see if the speeds improve around the areas i mostly go to like work, etc. Will keep you updated :D

Ok, so far i'm getting crappy network in the house, never goes beyond 3 bars and the net is too slow to open anything. But as i was on my way to work and in the office, the speeds are much better....im getting a constant 4-5 bars and the speeds are varying in the range of 130 - 170Kbps (bandwidth). web pages are still dont open very quickly as compared to say IDEA but heres the best part .... I dont know how this happened but the SIM that I got came with a Rs.44 talk time valid till 2017 and a bundled GPRS pack with a 2GB limit for 12months.... all this without spending a single paise :D :D :D

Homer said:
Ok, so far i'm getting crappy network in the house, never goes beyond 3 bars and the net is too slow to open anything. But as i was on my way to work and in the office, the speeds are much better....im getting a constant 4-5 bars and the speeds are varying in the range of 130 - 170Kbps (bandwidth). web pages are still dont open very quickly as compared to say IDEA but heres the best part .... I dont know how this happened but the SIM that I got came with a Rs.44 talk time valid till 2017 and a bundled GPRS pack with a 2GB limit for 12months.... all this without spending a single paise :D :D :D
all docomo prepaid connections come with that much validity :p

and that 2GB pack for 12months is a part of buddynet scheme, probably you are limited to certain services with that.

activate 3day plan for 15 rupee and websites will open.

as far as i remember, that free net WAP only.

Hehehe...ok, i didn't know that.... I will take the 15 bucks scheme once I exhaust this. Also it was just in my house where none of the websites were opening. Outside and at work, everything is working just fine, i've tried facebook, twitter, nimbuzz, youtube and even streaming radio...no problem. the speeds fluctuate a lot though and my current problem is I dont get proper network at home. I'll keep my Vodafone active till hopefully the Number portability thing kicks in in Oct.

Homer said:
Hehehe...ok, i didn't know that.... I will take the 15 bucks scheme once I exhaust this. Also it was just in my house where none of the websites were opening. Outside and at work, everything is working just fine, i've tried facebook, twitter, nimbuzz, youtube and even streaming radio...no problem. the speeds fluctuate a lot though and my current problem is I dont get proper network at home. I'll keep my Vodafone active till hopefully the Number portability thing kicks in in Oct.
Dream on .the operators dont want that to happen.. So TRAI has proposed that those acquired new licenses with any regard(2G/3G) wont be able to start their services until they implement number portability.
This is reluctance of network operators for number portability.:mad:

i have a problem with my landline internet where bsnl, closes it for about 15 days a month. its been happening for 5-6 months now. so i guess it will still happen. so going to get gprs from docomo or aircell. only problem is how do i check the signal strengths of these networks? i have seen many shops in my lane selling docomo and aircell plans so i guess availability of sim might not be an issue.

1. any method where i can check the signal strength of tata docomo or aircell? I tried on my phone by trying the select network method. i get the operator codes of reliance, tata, airtel, cellone. but cannot tell the signal strength of individual network.

2. to browse and download stuff would it better to get a usb stick for the pc?

Well...the method you are trying would cost you money, as you are trying to access different network from that of your operator provides. Better ask docomo / aircel users in your locality, or if you have any friends who use docomo / aircel, just recharge them the minimum GPRS bonus card or recharge them a topup and test it yourself.

Ya for downloading gprs might not be feasible, better go for USB stick.

Back