suggest some godd formal shoe brands

suggest some good formal shoe brands

planning to get a formal shoe so i have no idea what brand should i go for:huh:. budget 5-10k.
tell me the brands which are available locally and brands which are worth importing..:eek:hyeah:

Ya man, same problem dude.

If you want to buy locally, nothing is softer than Hush Puppies, but they aren't the best quality and not that expensive either. They are available in Bata.

The best brand available easily in the 7-9k price range is Rockport. If you don't mind importing, nothing beats Allen Edmonds which usually cost around $300 retail but can be had for sub $150 during sales (which is like much of the year) plus Aramex etc fees. So easily within the 10k budget.

And they will easily beat most of the brands you would buy in India at 20k+ including Hugo Boss, Armani etc.

MY EXPERIENCE WITH JOHN BROTHERS!!!

I went to them today.

1. They couldn't make something lighter than Rockport, and perhaps not even as light. And even if they make a light shoe from their standards, my Rockport would remain softer and more comfortable according to them because they would have to make do without the cushion.

2. If they do add a cushion, which some shoes did have, then they were sure that they couldn't make anything near as light as my Rockport shoes.

3. I tried 2 shoes or something, and they weren't anything near as comfortable as my Rockport shoes.

So basically I felt I would be better off buying a brown shoe from Rockport rather experimenting with them with a less than 10% chance of success.

The rate wasn't expensive, wasn't cheap, from Indian standards that is. It was Rs.6800 starting and around Rs.8000 or so for expensive designs, so like $150-175 depending on the design etc.

And Rockport too costs like Rs.8000 or $175 or so. And both my current Rockports are comfortable, and acceptably soft and very light. And their shoes even in their opinion couldn't match all three things together at the same time.

So I gave up the idea of buying from John Brothers.

:)

I will probably stick to Rockport. Btw, does anybody have any idea how much Hugo Boss shoes cost in India, I for one know that their shirts start around $230 or so, Rs.10400. So I am scared to ask about their shoes :p

Had the same problem here, needed formal shoes for the presentation day, went with hush puppies, might be around 1k, dont remember pricing, but my bro went with some other brand. He got it for 2K, but he is a size 12/13, and bata did not have the shoes in his size.

I can vouch for Woodland. They are very durable, tough and the quality is generally excellent. I got a pair of hard black leather shoes with pointed toes for around 6k. Its been more than an year now and they are still in perfect condition. Their range for the formal shoes is between 3k-9k. You can get them cheaper during sales but avoid doing that.

1. Aldo doesn't compare with Rockport in terms of comfort, life etc. That is a known fact on international forums. Aldo will be cheaper perhaps, but I wouldn't recommend them if you have enough money to go for Rockport.

2. I don't know much about Woodland, but my friend who regularly uses Woodland and has also worn Rockport claims that Rockport are much much lighter and more comfortable and worth it even at twice of Woodland's price. Also, if somebody can spend up to 10k for a shoe, I wouldn't recommend Woodland to him, but that maybe because I don't have enough experience with them.

3. Go to both Woodland and Rockport's showroom and try their shoes. Buy whatever is better to you. But let me tell you that Rockport has a range of formal shoes which are lighter than most running shoes, yet soft and comfortable.

4. Again, when it comes to just pure softness, I haven't seen anything in India comparable to Hush Puppies.

5. Also, if you can import, nothing comes close to Allen Edmond.

Also, although I doubt Tommy Hilfiger would have a better repute compared to Rockport, but they come in the same price range and I haven't tried them so can't say. You can try them if you want :)

Bluffmaster said:
I can vouch for Woodland. They are very durable, tough and the quality is generally excellent. I got a pair of hard black leather shoes with pointed toes for around 6k. Its been more than an year now and they are still in perfect condition. Their range for the formal shoes is between 3k-9k. You can get them cheaper during sales but avoid doing that.
I have two pairs, brown and black. Same brand as you mentioned. Doing well. I guess all leather shoes soften after use. Once broken into.

A friend and a colleague of mine said Woodland was the Indian knockoff of Timberland. I've never used Woodland before though so cannot comment on the quality. I've used a pair of Hush Puppy shoes and sandals and they were pretty good. Both costed me <2k. I use a pair of el-cheapo steel-toe boots now thanks to the kind of work I am involved with! :(

Found this link - Retailer Knockoffs Abound in India - NYTimes.com

The page you linked to only had semi formal and casual leather shoes, I didn't see any dress shoes. And I doubt they would be much cheaper than Rockport or Tommy Hilfiger, and they may not even be any better as Timberland is usually considered a slightly lower down brand than the above two IMO.

So you will probably need to check them in store to find which is more comfortable for you.

IMO if you go to Rockport once, I doubt you would want to check other stores after that :)

Honestly, there is a particular range of Rockport shoes which are lighter than even running shoes. They cost flat 8k at retail in store if not on sale. They have a plain black shoe, as well as a patterned one, and perhaps the same 2 shoes in brown/other brownish colors.

Gannu said:
A friend and a colleague of mine said Woodland was the Indian knockoff of Timberland. I've never used Woodland before though so cannot comment on the quality. I've used a pair of Hush Puppy shoes and sandals and they were pretty good. Both costed me <2k. I use a pair of el-cheapo steel-toe boots now thanks to the kind of work I am involved with! :(

Found this link - Retailer Knockoffs Abound in India - NYTimes.com

It is but its a damn good knockoff. I heard that even Timberland is launching in India soon.

Back