Suggest technology books related to Web development

Gaurish

ex-Mod
Hi,

Got some time to kill, so wasting my time to learn some stuff. hence, Looking for some good books for Web development mainly on following topics

* Developing withPhp Frameworks: CodeIgniter, CakePhp etc

* Ruby on Rails: For someone who is getting starting with rails.

Please suggest good books. I know I can get ebooks easily but I am not that kind of guy. I mostly end surfing instead of reading...:eek:hyeah:

"Agile web development with rails" is really a comprehensive book. A must read for any rails developer.

"Head first rails" would be great for starting to program in rails.

You need to know ruby to understand rails(in the same way as you need to know java to do jsp). If you don't " The Ruby Programming Language by David Flanagan and Yukihiro Matsumoto" is again a comprehensive tutorial. "Programming ruby" by "Dave Thomas" is another good book. "Beginning ruby" by apress is a simpler book, might want to start with that.

I have very minimal knowledge of php, so wouldn't suggest anything. There are some pakt books on the topics you mentioned which just cover basics of those frameworks. Do have a look at them.

=CrAzYG33K= said:

Know the basics, hence looking to expand my knowledge. I look forward to learn frameworks like CodeIgniter, CakePhp etc so I can code less and these frameworks would handle essential parts of web app.

This is the book to start out with PHP and SQL dev. And, I also hate the ebook route.. Go to a library and get this! :)

Thanks for suggestion.
haraakiri said:
"Agile web development with rails" is really a comprehensive book. A must read for any rails developer.

I searched on Google, it seems to be have very good reviews and quite popular. where should I buy this?

"Head first rails" would be great for starting to program in rails.

You need to know ruby to understand rails(in the same way as you need to know java to do jsp). If you don't " The Ruby Programming Language by David Flanagan and Yukihiro Matsumoto" is again a comprehensive tutorial. "Programming ruby" by "Dave Thomas" is another good book. "Beginning ruby" by apress is a simpler book, might want to start with that.

I have very minimal knowledge of php, so wouldn't suggest anything. There are some pakt books on the topics you mentioned which just cover basics of those frameworks. Do have a look at them.

Thanks for compressive list on Rail & Rails books. I have noted each of them.Damn, So much to learn but so less time. Not fair :no:

any idea how much time does it take to learn Ruby and then Rails. Then get started building simple Web Apps?

PS: I tried to add reps, but it says "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to haraakiri again". Quite Helpful post

Back