Suggestion needed: Autocad for a non-technical?

moshel

Adept
I am planning to go for a Autocad+Revit Architecture + 3DS max course. The plan is to learn these softwares, get a job at an architect or at a builder, work for sometime and then start my own firm where I can give services ranging from Autocad 2D and 3D models to making interiors & exteriors in 3D max.

The big question is do we require and engineering background to do Autocad? Cos. I am a commerce graduate. Will someone give me job just because I know Autocad? Or should I go for 3D Max only?

thats an awesome plan! , no you wont need to know engineering to learn autocad , but you should have a grasp of the plans and drawing nomenclature of architects , as in the various terms and labels of the parts of the building and what goes where ... this you can learn as you work , hoping that you start at a small firm where they are willing to teach :)

good luck

You don't even need to go for a course to learn autocad.. its almost as easy to figure out as ms paint. also take a look at google sketchup; it is quite useful and easy to use when it comes to architectural drawings and the renders from it aren't too bad either. Also there are plugins for sketchup too that will allow you to import plans from autocad.

In fact I'd say 3dsmax isn't of much help if you are interested in architectural stuff. Looking at your career interest I'm guessing that you like designing houses etc in which case imo proper use of Sketchup and its plugins is sufficient to make you capable of coming up with both cool looking concepts as well as detailed diagrams using Layout.

Back