Suggestion needed for my first Android phone for 15k , +/- 2k

karty

Disciple
Hi,
I am looking forward to buy my first android phone. Need some help !!

Q: Budget?
A: 15k , slightly stretchable if its worth it.

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: Best possible in my range

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: None in particular.

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Required. But its more of a luxury than a necessity as it would be sparingly used.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: Wifi

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone ?
A: Phone calls, internet, games , music.

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: A large display would be great as it would be used for browsing the web and playing videos , decent battery life and a smooth interface.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Motorola Defy , HTC Desire , Samsung galaxy S GT , Dell xcd35 , LG optimus one p500 , HTC wildfire S

Thanks

HTC sucks at battery backup, otherwise gr8 !!
Better choose between Galaxy/Defy !!

Defy is real value for money, 800MHz procy,good RAM !! And available for abt 14k @Let's Buy.

What is the battery backup of Desire ?

As of now i am more in favour of Defy @ 14.5k . Is Desire still available @15k ? If so, then its a real toss up between the two.

Galaxy is around 19k, i am not sure if i can stretch that much although it is in my shortlist.

1)LG Optimus Black P970---Rs 19900(price drop of almost Rs.7k)---Best phone in this category.
2)Samsung I9003 Galaxy---Rs18500(updated price)
3)iphone 3GS-------Rs19000(I know you requested for android but,I thought as the price has massively come down,you should know.)

The above is is if you wanna stretch your budget a bit,otherwise in your budget:-
1)Moto defy
2)samsung galaxy Ace

have a look at this chart(Prices are not updated)

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/6136/androidspecificationshi.jpg

@ Ameet148 : Thanks for the chart. But the Desire has been listed @ 21k. Isn't it available now for 15k ?

I guess i ll stick around with 15k budget, have decided against stretching it. Both Defy and Desire comes with 3.7 inch display in comparison to 3.5inch of ace. I prefer a larger screen.

So the toss up is between Defy and Desire. I read somewhere about Desire being the phone of the year 2010. So a little confused and am not sure if i can ignore this. Its sleek and classy looks are a bonus.

Defy if you want better battery life and well built tougher phone. Mi410 for the bigger screen and better processor plus stable officials gingerbread. Avoid the older desire. You may consider desire z but anyway qwerty physical is clearly not your requirements.

comp@ddict said:
@ 15k budget:

1. Moto Defy

2. Spice Mi410

Avoid Galaxy Ace.

I dont find Spice Mi410 listed on letsbuy or on most websites. Neither do i find any video reviews on youtube apart from igyaan, which is more of a preview. How do you rate this as against defy ? The 4 inch screen would be a big plus for browsing i suppose.
aka911 said:
Defy if you want better battery life and well built tougher phone. Mi410 for the bigger screen and better processor plus stable officials gingerbread. Avoid the older desire. You may consider desire z but anyway qwerty physical is clearly not your requirements.

Any particular reason as to why i need to avoid the older Desire ? Isn't desire and desire z the same apart from the physical keyboard ?
Ameet148 said:
Thanks for the links.

The HTC desire (and desire Z) has been out of stock for a long time on saholic and i think it was just a clearance sale. As c@mpaddict and aka911 mentioned i'd recommend the Spice Mi410 if you aren't brand conscious else the defy.

Definitely Spice Mi-410 - a bigger screen, so that you can enjoy latest movies (1ghz cpu) and latest games (adreno 205 gpu)
or
Motorola Defy - a good device in this price range, but doesn't meet your requirements. (an extra .4" will be good for browsing, movies and games).

Don't go for HTC Desire @15k(1k more and packs a inferior GPU). But you get brand name for those losses.

manu1991 said:
The HTC desire (and desire Z) has been out of stock for a long time on saholic and i think it was just a clearance sale. As c@mpaddict and aka911 mentioned i'd recommend the Spice Mi410 if you aren't brand conscious else the defy.
Yes i figured that out too, its not available anymore. Checked with Spice hotspot as well. No luck !!

emmarbee said:
Definitely Spice Mi-410 - a bigger screen, so that you can enjoy latest movies (1ghz cpu) and latest games (adreno 205 gpu)

or

Motorola Defy - a good device in this price range, but doesn't meet your requirements. (an extra .4" will be good for browsing, movies and games).

Don't go for HTC Desire @15k(1k more and packs a inferior GPU). But you get brand name for those losses.
I am not after any brand as such, but it would be an added benefit if its reputed. How is the product support for Spice ?

Is a bigger screen the only benefit that i get with Mi410 over Defy ?

I just read that Defy has a better battery backup than Mi410.

By the way, are both these phones better than Dell xcd35 as far price to features ratio is concerned ? I hope you guys got what i mean.

-->If you really do not have any brand preference, go for spice mi-410.
And about it's product support - i can't say anything. But i'll say the same for Nokia, Samsung and L.G too! (Cause, i've seen many furious customers at both Nokia and Sammy service centers)...

--> I've mentioned it clearly. It has better CPU, GPU and 720p video recording compared to its competitors. So the browsing and video playback experience will be far better compared to xcd 35 and better than defy.

--> Can't say anything about battery backup of either defy / xcd35 / mi-410. (If you get about 14-16 hrs with your android device with above average usage, you should be happy)

-->XCD35 has a really sh***y camera. No Flash. Underpowered proccy and gpu. The only PLUS it has is, it is officially supported by cyanogenmod - the best version of android after sense.
As far as Value for Money is concerned, Spice Mi-410 hits the maximum. Trailing behind is Defy. Next XCD 35.

@ comp@ddict , emmarbee , aka911 : Thanks for all the specifications !!

Just for my info. Are there any better phones that meet my criteria, that may fall into the range of 15 - 17k in the coming weeks ?

PS: A noob question. Why is there a price difference, at times a huge one for the same handset between retailers and online stores ?

karty said:
@ comp@ddict , emmarbee , aka911 : Thanks for all the specifications !!

Just for my info. Are there any better phones that meet my criteria, that may fall into the range of 15 - 17k in the coming weeks ?

PS: A noob question. Why is there a price difference, at times a huge one for the same handset between retailers and online stores ?
1) It depends. Most manufacturers have a policy where they always release models for a particular price segment.At the same time,whenever a newer model is released the older model depending upon the stock/market value may move down a segment.

Thats why Nexus S a flagship phone released in 2010 sells for the same price a mid segment phone like LG optimus black 2011 costs.

But there is also a limit as to how much the prices fall before the company actually cuts off the supply to distributors. If some have old stock left then they may sell it at throwaway prices,the kind big bazaar was doing recently...

Regarding your question , 15-17 k is a rather strange segment in android phones. It is much better to assess 10-14k models or 20-24k.

If you can wait a few weeks and spend 17k,then I suggest you wait a few more weeks and get nexus S at 19k*

* If it is still available at that point

following are just "mays"

also Samsung I9003 price may fall to 17k

Optimus black may fall to 18k

SE Xperia Mini may launch at 16k

Regarding your pm about desire I am answering here so that others can also contribute:

1) Desire was a great phone when released and still is, but it does not make sense to buy old flagship models just because they are cheaper.Most midrange models like Mi 410 now a days have much better spec then desire.

2) Desire and Desire Z have entirely different SOCs. Z is MSM 7230 with adreno 205. desire is 1st gen snapdragon 8250 with adreno 200, the same gpu that ships with andro A60. Not Bad at all, but considering you are spending 15k

3)Bad camera for 5 mp. Bad battery life even for androids which are famous for poor battery life

Desire makes sense only if you want to mod the hell out of it, For that purpose its a great phone.

i see a lot of guys asking about buying first android device.it does not matter if its the first or tenth android device.it all depends how much you are willing to spend and how long you will keep the device.if as a first time buyer you buy a cheap device that does not measure upto your expectations then you will want a better device as soon as you realise you want to do more with android.also think about add on cost.like buying a memory card if onboard memory is less.buying extra batteries if battery is poor.buying better headset if bundled pair is not upto the mark.if the op is willing to spend 17 k and stretch it a bit i would recommend the galaxy sl or nexus s for a long term device.motorola defy otherwise.my reco is based on better battery life,very good sound quality,better bundled headset,more memory onboard,better screens in terms of touch response and s-lcd.all these factors are worth paying a premium for in my opinion.

Back