PC Peripherals Suggestions / Advice for Config ... Updating after 9 years

shadow2get

Recruit
It's been a long time (almost 9 years) since I have updated my system.

CURRENT CONFIG
1. Intel Pentium Celeron 766MHz
2. Asus CUSI-FX (Socket 370)
3. 1GB SDRAM
4. NVIDIA 6200 256MB DDR2 PCI Graphics Card (bought about an year and half ago)
5. 160GB IDE HDD
6. Dell 2408WFP Ultrasharp (bought May 2008) :)
I have been planning to upgrade it for about an year (or years).
Anyway, now it has become inevitable to buy the system.

Here's the config I have planned:

CONFIRMED TO BUY

1. Processor - Intel Core i7 2.66GHz - Rs. 15500
2. Motherboard - Asus P6T Deluxe - Rs. 21000
3. RAM - Corsair 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600MHz - Rs. 5500 (Getting from US - from a friend)

4. HDD - Seagate 7200.12 500GB 16MB - Rs. 3000
5. Optical - Sony SATA - Rs. 1250
TOTAL - Rs. 46250
NOT YET CONFIRMED

6. PSU - Corsair 750W / 850W - Rs. 8000 / 9000
7. Cabinet - Cooler Master CM690 - Rs. 4000
TOTAL - Rs. 12000 / 13000
The config will be mainly used for Programming (Games / Apps), Gaming, watching movies & listening to music. The config will currently be devoid of the following:

* Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (216+) (any Brand) / GTX280(EVGA) - Around 20k
May SLI in the future.
* Soundcard - Not Decided yet
* Speakers - Logitech Z-5500 - Rs. 18000
* Keyboard & Mouse - Logitech Gaming Series / Wireless (MX Series)
* UPS - APC
-> Non - Sine wave generating: Back-UPS RS 800 VA / 1.5KVA
-> Pure Sine wave generating : Smart-UPS 750VA / 1KVA / 1.5KVA

NOTE: I will be using the NVIDIA 6200 PCI Card on the new system.

Here are some of the things that's been bugging me:

1. I will be overclocking it moderately to Core i965's frequency i.e. 3.2GHz. Will the Intel HSF be enough for it ? If not which one should I buy ? Budget around 1-1.5k.
P.S. I am new to overclocking. So won't be going overboard on this right now. Also I will be needing some tips on doing this. Any links / suggestions on Overclocking i7 will be helpful.

2. Since I will be assembling the build, should I go in for an Heat Sink Paste ? I heard that the Core i7 will already have a layer of thermal paste over it which will melt when you start the processor. If this is true, will it be enough for my overclocking stint to 3.2GHz on stock HSF. If not, suggest a Thermal Paste within Rs. 500. Also, could you tell me how to apply the paste & how much ?

3. Due to tight budgetary constraints right now, I may have to buy a Cabby + PSU around 5-6k instead of allotted 12/13k. If you tell me that it won't be worth spending 5-6k on that, then I might borrow some cash to get the 12-13k ones.

4. Regarding the memory, which one to buy from these:

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

* Memory Timings: 9-9-9-24
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Price: $98

OR

* Memory Timings: 8-8-8-24
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Price: $102

Are Lower Memory Timings a better choice ?

5. WRT UPS, I have been hearing a lot about Sine Wave Output required as input for Active PFC PSUs. Since I will not be loading it to the maximum said Power O/P of UPS (no graphics card now), say
540 Watts for Back-UPS RS 800 VA
865 Watts for Back-UPS RS 1500 VA
OR
500 Watts for Smart-UPS 750 VA
670 Watts for Smart-UPS 1000 VA
980 Watts for Smart-UPS 1500 VA

If I will be buying the PSU with active PFC, can I do the following:
* Buy a non-sine wave generating UPS ? Will it affect the PSU ?

Which UPS should I go for ?

6. WRT Speakers, since I am going for a High end one, my friend has been pestering me to look for AV Receivers + Speakers instead of going for a dedicated computer speaker. Which do u think is a better choice considering that I will be using it to play from Comp / DVD Player / Set Top Box ? Can you give me choices for both (AV & dedicated) ? My max budget for this will be around 20k.

Will be buying it (Proc + M/B + RAM + HDD + Optical + Cabby + PSU) next month. May go in for the UPS later. Any suggestions wrt any component is welcome.

5. Optical - Sony SATA - Rs. 1250

dont go for sony. get lg, samsung or asus.

Are Lower Memory Timings a better choice ?

yes they are. but u wont notice the difference of 1 clock tick while using 1600Mhz ram, its still worth considering for the extra $4.

Which UPS should I go for ?

i dont believe in ups. i really had bad experience with them.. go for a good stabilizer instead. ( even if u go for ups, the battery will be dead in an year max)

I am new to overclocking. So won't be going overboard on this right now. Also I will be needing some tips on doing this. Any links / suggestions on Overclocking i7 will be helpful.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3502

Nice setup, this is going to be a MASSIVE upgrade for you, you're sure to enjoy a lot once you put it together :).
Regarding your Heatsink query, stiick to stock for now, the i7 will keep you happy for a while even at default clocks. After a while, get a good cooler and start some real OCing. :)
Good luck.

That PCI graphics card will be a MASSIVE bottleneck in the system. Don't expect anything even half decent on that card. I doubt if you can even run Aero on that.

Even if don't have the funds for a latest gen card, do your system some justice and get a cheap PCI-E card.

P.S.: Get some AS5 thermal paste along with a decent HSF if you plan on overclocking a bit. The stock cooler can't really do its job cooling the beast.

PS PS: The 8-8-8 kit costs 82 bucks after rebates. If your friend is based in the U.S., ask him to fill the rebate form and split the savings (as a goodwill gesture, just my opinion).

Since you have the budget you may spend but I'd rather chose an AMD platform at the moment with Intel moving to a new platform in some time.

You still have some safety with AMD also if you compare most games to not gain alot of advantage with processors like they gain with a better GFX card so you might just save the overall savings and get yourself a GTX 285 to game at the resolution of your monitor.

Anyways my suggestion would be

AMD Phenom II X4 940 / AMD Phenom II X3 720.

Decent 790GX

4GB G. Skill Pi

500GB HDD (For OS)

1 TB (Dump Drive)

Antec 300

Corsair TX650/HX620 or Antec EA650

Samsung DVDRW

You would be saving quite alot of money which you could invest in the GTX 285.

For OCing you might consider an SCCF both the processors I have mentioned come with unlocked multis and have been known to be good OC'ers.

Advantages

1>Cheaper invest in better GFX card.

2>The 790GX has a better onboard chip then the 6200.

Then again its your money and you might wanna spend it differently. You know your needs best.

The config you have listed comes up to nearly 1lak...for that you can get:

1.i7-920--15.5k

2.gigabyte UD5--17k

3.RAM - Corsair 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600MHz - Rs. 5500 (as listed by you)

4. HDD - Seagate 7200.12 500GB 16MB - Rs. 3000

5. Optical - Sony SATA/Samsung - Rs. 1250

6.corsair 850W--9k

7.CM690--4k

8.for gfx sollution get 2xEVGA GTX260 core 216 in SLI for only 23k...11.6k for each as quoted to me by KMD.

9.logitech Z5500--18k

10.logitech G15--4k

11.Logitech MX-518--1.2k

The total comes upto 102k..ie 1,02,00Rs and you will have a gtx260 core 216 SLI which is just like 5-10% slower than gtx295.

Since you are getting the Z5500, then a supreme x-fi card will be awesome but not a necassary

Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 70SB088600002 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards

that will cost 140$ ~ 8-9k if you get from KMD.

@masterbrain
-----------------------------------------------
i dont believe in ups. i really had bad experience with them.. go for a good stabilizer instead. ( even if u go for ups, the battery will be dead in an year max)

If you are in Bangalore, you will certainly know the importance of UPS :eek:hyeah: . I need it for Backup. BTW, I do have a Aeon 1000VA Voltage stabiliser(bought in 2000) :cool2: which I have been using along with an APC 650VA.

dont go for sony. get lg, samsung or asus.
What's wrong with Sony ? I currently have a Sony DVD Writer (IDE) working with no problems. Any specific reason ?
Thanks for the link regarding the overclocking.

@Amien

Regarding your Heatsink query, stiick to stock for now, the i7 will keep you happy for a while even at default clocks. After a while, get a good cooler and start some real OCing.

Right now, I will be on stock. Maybe a month or so, I will get a new HSF along with AS5 / SCCF.
@gforce

That PCI graphics card will be a MASSIVE bottleneck in the system. Don't expect anything even half decent on that card. I doubt if you can even run Aero on that.

Even if don't have the funds for a latest gen card, do your system some justice and get a cheap PCI-E card.

I'd would love to, but can't. Will be running WinXP 64-bit. So should be fine for some time atleast till Win 7 releases in Sept 2009.

PS PS: The 8-8-8 kit costs 82 bucks after rebates. If your friend is based in the U.S., ask him to fill the rebate form and split the savings (as a goodwill gesture, just my opinion).
Actually my friend would do that, but the rebate money comes back maybe within 6 months/year or not come at all. Anyway, I wouldn't even ask for the rebate money.

@H2O
Since you have the budget you may spend but I'd rather chose an AMD platform at the moment with Intel moving to a new platform in some time.

Not that I have any inclination towards Intel / AMD, I will be sticking to Intel now. Intel is much better performer than AMD Phenom II in this case.

You would be saving quite alot of money which you could invest in the GTX 285.
Would love to get a graphics card now, but it is not that important right now. I mainly need it for Programming. Later when I have enough cash, I may go in for GTX 260+ / GTX 275 / GTX 280 / GTX 285 whichever falls below 20k.
Update: Just inquired about Logitech Z-5500 @ Ankit Infotech in Bangalore. He quoted a price of Rs. 18500 + Tax = Rs. 19200 total.
I am ready to buy this via CC. Lemme know if its worth spending that much on this or should I go in for an AV Rcvr + Speakers ?

Guys, any more suggestions/advice regarding config/other questions.

You need core i7 for programming ?

Look at AT for comparison between Phenom II and Core i7 benchmarks not much of a difference if you ask me especiaaly for the overall platform cost.

shadow2get said:
Actually my friend would do that, but the rebate money comes back maybe within 6 months/year or not come at all. Anyway, I wouldn't even ask for the rebate money.
I live in the US myself and am pretty experienced with filling out rebates. It won't take more than a month considering that its a customer-friendly company (unlike some bastards called AT&T, Panasonic and the rest). Anyways, it's your call.

H2O said:

Uhm, what you're saying is accurate only if he's planning an expensive build around the LGA 775 Socket. Nehalem IS the new platform.

IMO, if you want to go intel, either spend 30k and get a VFM LGA 775 setup, or spend 70k or so for i7, no point spending anything in-between.

Secondly, between AMD and Intel, if you've got the money, the Nehalem platform is the undisputed performance king as of now.

Amien said:
between AMD and Intel, if you've got the money, the Nehalem platform is the undisputed performance king as of now.

not if u are mainly into gaming. read the at article.. .there is only a difference of less than 5 fps in most games between PII and i7 if u use a good graphics card.

currently i think Phenom II 720 BE + AM3 (ddr3) mobo will be more value for money if u are into gaming.

also no point in getting GTX 260 - get a 4870 1GB instead..

masterBrain said:
not if u are mainly into gaming. read the at article.. .there is only a difference of less than 5 fps in most games between PII and i7 if u use a good graphics card.

currently i think Phenom II 720 BE + AM3 (ddr3) mobo will be more value for money if u are into gaming.

also no point in getting GTX 260 - get a 4870 1GB instead..

What the..?
Did i say Nehalem was the best VFM? I said it is the undisputed performance king, gaming or otherwise.
And no, i'd take a GTX 260(216 cores) over the HD4870 1GB if i was in the market for a new card, the former runs cooler, uses less power and actually improves in performance upon every new driver's release.

masterBrain said:
^^ better in cooling and uses less power.. but look performance wise..

AnandTech: The Radeon HD 4870 1GB: The Card to Get

4870 1GB tops in all the games over GTX260(216)

and yes. i agree with u abt i7..

Well, i thought it was common knowledge that the 4870 1GB edges the 260 slightly in performance(though that gap is closing bit by bit). I don't know about others, but i look at the whole package when i buy something, hence my choice in going for the , slightly less performing, GTX 260.

Also, thank you for understanding the i7 fiasco :p

@H20

You need core i7 for programming ? Look at AT for comparison between Phenom II and Core i7 benchmarks not much of a difference if you ask me especiaaly for the overall platform cost.

Its not the context where i meant. I meant now that I won't be gaming for some months, the system will be mainly used for Programming. So later when I buy a graphics card, it will be used for that.

Regarding Phenom II & Core i7, i would choose whichever gives me the best performance right now, which is Intel. Suppose I bought an Phenom II config, you would ask me to go for a Mid range config. The performance would be less & would compel me to go in for an Intel @ that time, which will be a waste of money.

@gforce

I live in the US myself and am pretty experienced with filling out rebates. It won't take more than a month considering that its a customer-friendly company (unlike some bastards called AT&T, Panasonic and the rest). Anyways, it's your call.

I would ask my friend to fill for the rebate. Anyway the last time my friend ordered some comp stuff & filled in the rebate, it didn't work out. So he is apprehensive about that.

The last I heard about the GTX260+ vs ATI 4870 1GB is that NVIDIA beats AMD with the following in mind:

* With newer Drivers

* For resolutions belowupto 1920x1200.

Even then its pretty close call.

I think I would settle for a NVIDIA because of:

* Lower Power Consumption

* Better Driver support for Single / SLI based configs

* PhysX Hardware capability

-------------------------

WRT Speakers, I am planning to get the Z-5500 quoted around Rs. 19200 inc. of Taxes. Would it be worth spending on this or get a AV Receiver + Speakers for that range ?

WRT UPS, which should I go for ?

Back