Storage Solutions Suggestions for 1TB external HDD

clown_abhi

Skilled
Hi Guys,

I am planning to buy a 1TB External HDD but am confused between a few. There is this WD My Book Essential Edition and the Seagate Freeagent Desk. Both look good to me.

Can anyone suggest me which to take out of these?

Currys - Shop for 3.5 inch External Hard Drives - SEAGATE 1TB FreeAgent Desk Home storage

Currys - Shop for 3.5 inch External Hard Drives - WD 1TB My Book Essential Home storage

The Seagate can sit horizontally and vertically but the WD can sit only vertically. Is it stable enuf? Is there a difference in the HDD technically?

I am inclined towards the Seagate for its 5 yrs warranty compared to WD 3 yrs, but just wondering if the warranty is global?

Awaiting your suggestions mates...:)

when i bought Freeagent Desk recently, i noticed it was atleast about 300 cheaper than WD model
Also comes with 5 years warranty vs WD's 3 years
and it looks cool as well

EDIT: didnt see the UK links, also warranty there would be pretty standard ones, not like in India
hard to pick now

@Spectre,

Are you happy with the performance of the Freeagent? And did you find any issues with it?

Here the prices are same for both but the warranty is more for Seagate. And Seagate is giving feet for the sides to keep it flat on the table whereas WD does not. Hence the inclination towards the freeagent.

Guys, Does Seagate recognise international warranty like WD?

@desibond, has there been an increase in failure rates of the Freeagent Desk?

I think the failure was in the internal Barracuda drives only which was resolved after a firmware update. Any idea on international warranty?

clown_abhi said:
@Spectre,

Are you happy with the performance of the Freeagent? And did you find any issues with it?

Here the prices are same for both but the warranty is more for Seagate. And Seagate is giving feet for the sides to keep it flat on the table whereas WD does not. Hence the inclination towards the freeagent.

Guys, Does Seagate recognise international warranty like WD?

Freeagent performance is good, for me :)

No hassles, touchwood

Detects properly, write speed is 23 MB/s constant

Freeagent can be placed horizontally as well (i actually use it this way)

No clue with international warranty, dont take a chance, check with someone who has replaced a foreign bought one at Accel

clown_abhi said:
@desibond, has there been an increase in failure rates of the Freeagent Desk?

I think the failure was in the internal Barracuda drives only which was resolved after a firmware update. Any idea on international warranty?
I have seen many guys complaining about Seagate HDDs even for 7200.12 edition HDDs. Even if it's external HDDs, they use the same harddrives but with a shell right?

@sumchamp,
Even if the HDD has eSATA and the source of data does not, the transfer will be through USB only, ain't it? Since i have a office laptop, it doesn't have eSATA but only USB. So, i guess going for the extreme edition will not be worth it. Correct me if i am wrong.

@Spectre
Thanks for the info. Now the only catch lies in the international warranty. I have been googling since morning and i am getting a negative response for Seagate. In TE, someone had transferred a WD warranty to India by sending a mail. If that is for sure, then i would rather go for WD.

@Desibond, i have been using 7200.12 from the time when it came first in India and i never had an issues. The problems that users report are very rare for 7200.12 and it would be either a mishandling or some corruption.
Seagate's name went bad after the failures with the .11 drives where data corruption happened a lot. Ya, but i'll never know what HDD is used inside so its all a questionmark!

Thanks everybody for the help.
So, it finally boils down to which HDD offers international warranty, i can go for it. :eek:hyeah:
Please let me know guys if you find something positive for Seagate or WD. :)

Well, i called the PC World stores here and they are saying that both Seagate and WD provide international warranty.

Guys, in TE has anyone got drives from abroad and RMA'ed it in India? Please let me know if there were any problems for either Seagate or WD? :)

Update: But when i called Mr Sandeep Sodhani from Supertron India (Seagate Distributor), he's saying the warranty would not be applicable locally in India and its region specific only.

Guess the only option left is WD. :) Will call the WD distributor and try to find out if that is provided international warranty. If not i am f***ed up. ;)

Back