Suggestions for a customizable and/or rootable Android TV box, such as Xiaomi Mi Box

bootloader

Recruit
I'm looking for an Android TV/box (such as a Mi Box) with these requirements:
  1. Can run android apps (such as Kodi, Plex), and other APKs that can be loaded and installed
  2. Big plus if it's rootable, and not locked-in
I've never tried Xiaomi Mi Box 4K, so I'm not sure it it satisfies my requirements. Please suggest.

1. Can run android apps (such as Kodi, Plex), and other APKs that can be loaded and installed
I've never tried Xiaomi Mi Box 4K, so I'm not sure it it satisfies my requirements. Please suggest.
following. i recently purchased a LG TV which comes with WebOS and it is not great for there are very limited app

Not sure what the state is with Xiaomi boxes, but rooting ends up being largely pointless as no one develops any custom ROMs for these devices.

I do have a rooted Fire TV and the most benefit you can get from rooting is having a custom launcher and sideloading the Google Play Store.

Not sure what the state is with Xiaomi boxes, but rooting ends up being largely pointless as no one develops any custom ROMs for these devices.

I do have a rooted Fire TV and the most benefit you can get from rooting is having a custom launcher and sideloading the Google Play Store.
yes this is fair reason imo. you don't gain much of rooting these kind of devices

>sideloading the Google Play Store.
Can you install custom APKs such as Kodi, Plex? I want to buy a Mi Box, but I really don't like how bold they are when it comes to Ads and tracking, I have a Pi hole, but I want something clean and powerful. Do you know of any such devices?

>sideloading the Google Play Store.
Can you install custom APKs such as Kodi, Plex? I want to buy a Mi Box, but I really don't like how bold they are when it comes to Ads and tracking, I have a Pi hole, but I want something clean and powerful. Do you know of any such devices?
Yes, sideloading is never a problem on any of the Android boxes, Fire TV included.

I don't personally use a Mi box but it seems it was at least possible to roll back updates and block new ones that added auto-playing promotions. I think that is a general problem with Android/Google TV interface now.

Back