Budget Above 40k Suggestions for a flagship compact phone

mysticrainman

Disciple
Please suggest a flagship compact phone. Last few years, i've used OnePlus 5 and 8t. Would prefer Android.

1. Budget?
A: INR 65-70ish

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: under 6.2", AMOLED, >= 1080p

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android 12

4. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
A: 5G

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: open to suggestions on brand. Should have good service network + relatively cheaper parts. Would not prefer mi, oppo, Vivo, iqoo, realme, oneplus.

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: mails, internet browsing, video consumption, camera. Regarding battery I'm a medium level user.

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: No preference

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: New. online or offline

9. Any other requirements?
A: min 128 gb, would prefer fast charging, good battery, 90hz refresh rate min.

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: samsung galaxy s22, iphone 13 (missing on refresh rate), Asus zenphone 8z (unavailable)

I'm leaning towards s22 right now. Anything to look out for in s22 besides battery?

I've lurked around samsung subreddit enough so I can tell you that S22 is a bad choice. Lot of people keep complaining about battery and lag.
Snapdragon 8 gen 1 processor is already well known for its heating issues and Samsung has combined that with just 3700 mah battery. So, going by user reviews and hardware, it's a big no imo.

I've lurked around samsung subreddit enough so I can tell you that S22 is a bad choice. Lot of people keep complaining about battery and lag.
Snapdragon 8 gen 1 processor is already well known for its heating issues and Samsung has combined that with just 3700 mah battery. So, going by user reviews and hardware, it's a big no imo.
Thanks for this. I'll admit this is what I've been fearing.

Avoid samsung altogether due to poor battery mostly and bloatware (samsung is known for these 2 issues since decades now) Personal exp. as well. Also, their devices tend to slow down after usage and one has to keep it formatting to maintain healthy performance.
Invest this much money in oneplus or something similar even though thats not on your mind.
Else iphone is the way to go else Pixel 6.

Avoid samsung altogether due to poor battery mostly and bloatware (samsung is known for these 2 issues since decades now) Personal exp. as well. Also, their devices tend to slow down after usage and one has to keep it formatting to maintain healthy performance.
Invest this much money in oneplus or something similar even though thats not on your mind.
I currently have OnePlus 8t. New flagships are not in compact size. Iphone looks more and more attractive

I also find their UI to be pretty bad. Just my opinion. I would suggest getting the iPhone 13

I don't think there is a good compact phone right now that ticks all the boxes for you. Some sort of compromise is required.
If you are avoiding mi, oppo, Vivo, iqoo, realme, oneplus, then you have to consider only Samsung or Apple. Forget Asus.

My suggestion is, when you want to invest around 70k, iphone 13 is obvious choice. It has very good battery life and will last longer.
Samsung S22 has average battery life and slower charging compared to S22+. Taking S22 is a compromise. S22+ is somewhat better, but I don't know how far they have solved the heating issues.
In a less preferable way, you could compromise on picture quality and get some Motorola phone with SD8gen1 and save some money.

I tried out the ios in an iphone pro in the shop for around 30 mins and i didn't feel very comfortable. Mobile is heavily involved in the Job so I'm wary of learning something brand new for the next 2-4 weeks.

And I'm unable to find a good compact alternative in android right now. I'll make do with lower end android device for a while and wait it out.

Thank you everyone with suggestions.

If you want to save the battery run it in power save mode. If that isn't good enough, then root it and start limiting CPU speeds further.

This needs some confirmation from users. It's an idea

After spending 70k, the phone should work properly right out the box.
In a word, yes. But smaller phones with the latest CPU have always had this problem.

Wonder if that will ever come to India

Asus is coming up with Zenfone 9 next week.. But there is no clarity regarding when it will launch in India, if at all.
Oh man, the Zenfone 8 would have been the perfect compact phone for me. Too bad Asus brought it to India like a year late and only to Flipkart for a few hours before being out of stock forever since.
The market really does not like powerful compact phones.

I too was looking for a compact phone but lower than your budget and I'm afraid to say there's no option for Android out there. If you really want it then you can try your luck in the used marketplace like FB and olx and hope you can find a mint one. If you want the 9Z then don't wait for it to release in India. Get it imported.
Of course the other choice is the Minis from Apple but even iPhones fans don't like them.
The S22's have serious battery issues. The thing about the SD chipset is also true.

If you want to save the battery run it in power save mode. If that isn't good enough, then root it and start limiting CPU speeds further.

This needs some confirmation from users. It's an idea
I tried the Power Saving mode for over a week on my S10+. I didn't notice any difference. Battery draining is real despite the system battery "optimisation" which shuts down un-used apps. I can't find out the cause. Any inputs would be great.

Last edited:
I tried the Power Saving mode for over a week on my S10+. I didn't notice any difference. Battery draining is real despite the system battery "optimisation" which shuts down un-used apps. I can't find out the cause. Any inputs would be great.
You said you're in a rural area and need a dual sim. Well, how good is your signal out there?

Do you move around a lot during the day?

I would recommend you to have another look at S22. The battery life is bad, but you can buy the battery pack. It adds some weight and might be slightly thick, but you won't notice much difference. I have held that phone in the store, and it felt really compact.

On the other hand, I am using an S22 ultra and pretty happy with it. There have been updates every month and latest security patch is present. The heating issues are only if you play games for too long, and that too in high settings. For daily activities and browsing and casual gaming, it gets slightly warm. Most of the reviewers just run stress tests, which have no point. There are super rare cases where you will need to use 100% of your cpu for prolonged times. Have attached battery stats for mine.

Attachments

•  Battery.jpg
    Battery.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 75
I would recommend you to have another look at S22. The battery life is bad, but you can buy the battery pack. It adds some weight and might be slightly thick, but you won't notice much difference. I have held that phone in the store, and it felt really compact.

Why would I buy a battery pack for a new mobile? To be honest why would I buy that mobile itself?

Back