Suggestions for Jellyfin Setup on Pi4

I'm planning to run Jelllyfin of a 4 GB Pi4 I have. This is the hardware I have and am planning to use:

-Pi4 4GB
-Crucial 240 GB SSD (Currently running DietPi on this, connected directly to the Pi4 via a SATA-USB 3 cable)
-WD Red 4 TB (Powered by a Pibox enclosure, haven't connected/mounted it yet)
-The official power supply I got with the Pi

The nascent idea I have so far is to run applications and local torrenting off the SSD, use the WD Red as the storage device. I'll try and set up tailscale for remote access/users for now- I don't think I have enough experience to experiment with reverse proxy at the moment.

I'm currently only planning to use it for Jellyfin, although tinkering with a FOSS alternative to google photos would be cool to do in the long run.

I previously used a YAMS guide on an old laptop and it seemed to turn out fine, although I didn't really test or use it properly. I've seen TRaSH guides recommended as well. I'm planning to go with YAMS and see how it turns out, although using OMV seems fun/cool to setup and try as well. But would it work well off a Pi4?

Any suggestions/tweaks on how to go ahead with this? I'm looking to install and use the usual *arr applications along with Jellyfin and Tailscale.

With Pi4, direct play (without transcoding) should work fine.
With Tailscale in the middle, things can get a bit tricky if you are not on the same LAN and tailscale is not able to find a direct connection, forcing you to go via a relay. In that case, you'd get pretty low bandwidth making direct playback mostly unfeasible.

Back