Graphic Cards Super abnormal display problem

vaibhav_1979

Market Restricted
Disciple
From last few days i am having this super weird display problem, as soon as am at Win 10 Login screen , where you tap and password window appears , suddenly the screen turns blank (Attached video link), or just simple blank color screen (image attached) , first i thought its because of some featured Win 10 update but even after multiple reboots problem persisted. So far i have tried following:

reset the bios
Boot in advance menu:
reset boot options
restore files from system restore
uninstall windows updates
reset the PC using default tools
format the PC first with latest win 10 may 2023 image
format the PC using older 2004 image

finally i realized this is issue with my 1050ti as switching to onboard gfx has no problem loading, so disassembled thoroughly cleaned with IP, apply a fresh coat of thermal paste etc. etc ....but the problem is still there, after fresh install /driver update/AV install etc. PC runs smooth till the very next restart.

IDK what exactly is the problem, if graphics card was to blame then it should just stop working....but after prolonged keeping it on (in BIOS) or at the login screen it runs smoothly but as soon as i press the login window the screen goes blank OR it suddenly reboots and throws “Critical_Process_Died” BSOD and goes in reboot loop.

the card is out of warranty so cant RMA it, what really angers me is WHY....

Video here:

TL;DR : screen goes blank after i press the key at login screen , nothing seems to work

Note: if anyone knows any shop that repairs GFX cards in mumbai please let me know

Attachments

• 1684221872034.jpg
    1684221872034.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 42
I have a Gigabyte 1660super, same story out of warranty. i was having black screen issue whenever the GPU was working under loads, no problems when i browse around the pc normally.
the point is, i sent it for repair to delhi i wouldn't disclose the place, however they charged a pretty decent amount, kept the GPU for about 13-15 days, certified and tested it. I got my GPU delivered back to me with SAME issue where they claimed to have fixed the issue by replacing the vram.

i would highly recommend you to NOT go for repairing the GPU since it's not worth it, theyll charge an amount which can get you a decent 2nd hand GPU and the possibilities that the problem will be fixed is as good as NIL.
just shared my personal experience that i faced a few days back, rest its your GPU, your wish!

here is the link to my thread.

Last edited:
Since you've tried everything with windows & gpu software. The next culprit I would point to is the RAM. I had some issues with booting that turned out to be RAM issues. Since you've tried pretty much everything I would suggest to try this as well. Here are the possible issues that can happen with RAM:
- If you recently assembled your PC, the RAM may not be fitted properly.
- The RAM slot on the mobo may be the issue so try changing RAM slots.
- If RAM slot changing did not work, then it could be the RAM itself.

I'm no expert in PCs so I could be wrong but just sharing my experience with RAM issues.

1) It can also be a refresh rate issue too.
Try to bring down the monitors refresh rate to the lowest possible under 60Hz once you login and on black screen.

2) See if you can boot in safe mode on same GPU and using DDU remove all drivers and then try to login.

3) If nothing works then continue to boot normally and when you face the black issue note the time. Then boot on onboard gfx, go to Event viewer and find errors/warnings for the recorded time.

If its a failing GPU, most failing GPUs will still give out display in BIOS as it doesn't require to output in full 128bit.
Same goes for login screens too.

This May be the issue, i started getting non stop beeps stating ram issue, so i removed 1 stick ....i will clean the mobo thoroughly and check again

I have a similar issue with an older card as well. To my approximation, once you login to Windows, it "enables" 3D acceleration at which point, your GPU gives up it's ghost. Try booting off a Linux LiveCD, but boot straight to console. Alternatively, boot into Safe Mode on windows, where your Nvidia drivers are disabled.
Basically, it will function as a display card at a low resolution.

Sadly, I couldn't pinpoint a fix to it. Try what I've suggested to confirm if it's the same case.

after you rule out the most common components like GPU and the RAM and find that the issue still persists then next culprit could be a failing PSU. If that's the case then in BIOS, try increasing the CPU Vcore Voltage in small increments and don't go too high just one/two steps higher than stock. Then try booting back to windows. If it doesn't black out then replace that PSU.

Back