Setup:
Asus STX sound card
Audioengine A5 2.0 Powered Bookshelves on AE DS2 desktop recliners
Swan M50W 2.1 multimedia speakers on Auralex mopads
The positioning etc wasn't the same because I couldn't manage that. Anyway,
I listened to one set at a time.
Music only

Sound Signature:
Audioengine: Natural, clear and neutral sound. Deeper and more powerful authority sound. Fun sound despite not being colored at all.
Swan: Bright mid forward sound which is noticeably colored to sound better to most consumers. I am not saying that is bad, but it is just the difference between neutral/pro vs hifi/regular speakers, assuming we aren't speaking of quality. However, the sound was relatively thin due to smaller drivers and also less fun sounding once you are used to natural and neutral music. For most newbies however swan might sound better.

Bass:
No competition. Swan has more quantity and more thump and lfe because of the subwoofer. Audioengine has less quality wise but slightly tighter but not as solid/punchy as Swan due to the sub woofer. The swan sub woofer is better than the polk psw110 I used to have and which costs almost as much as the swan speaker set. Infact I have bought swans primarily for the bass and also for rear surrounds of course. The bass of swan isn't comparable to that found in a disc, it is pretty boomy as well compared to high end subs. But definitely not logitech crap although it doesn't go as loud as them either. But it surely beats logitech and computer speaker subs I guess in quality and texture. It really isn't that thumping though, more like punchy. Some people may prefer Audioengine here though. So depends on choice. Because AE has less quality, but tighter yet lighter and without the lfe though. For movies and even bassy songs I like the swan sub. But then I listen to both sets together usually. So if I had to choose one, it could be difficult.

Treble:
Audioengine has more powerful deeper yet natural and clean treble. Swan has brighter yet thinner/lighter and crisper treble. Audioengine is way more natural though. I prefer audioengine here.

Mids:
AE is balanced and neutral. Swans are mid forward but only very slightly which I do like. Some stuff is cleaner/crisper on Swan than on AE which is like. However AE has deeper and more powerful vocals which are more musical despite being I colored. Swan isn't natural/neutral but still musical, however not as much. I haven't tried movies on swan alone, but I guess if you put the sub on minimum and use the swan for movies, then the swan might be better for crisper and sharper vocals and mids because sometimes vocals sound too recessed on AE since they are natural and neutral. I might prefer swan there if I try it out. So again, both do well here. AE is more powerful and deeper vocals with Swan being better to decipher since they are slightly mid forward.

Clarity:
Swan is better here. The sounds are relatively sharper and cleaner and better to decipher. I don't like this point about AE but the difference isn't huge, it is there but not huge.

Clearness:
AE sounds clear. Swan seems to have some veil to it. AE sounds clear and natural while Swan doesn't sound as good here.

Sound stage and sweet spot:
Audioengine has a deeper soundstage but Swan has a wider soundstage with a much bigger sweet spot.

WoW/Fun:
IMO I find AE to have a wow factor which Swan and even Wharfedales lack. Perhaps their sound is a bit brighter yet warm and colored at the same time. Whereas the AE sounds powerful and natural. However the mids in both swan and wharfedale are sharper and cleaner, so they are a clear win there. But AR is more fun sounding for some reason. But, it is possible that due to the sub etc for movies/games swan might be better.

Also, the swan is not upgradable as it doesn't have an rca out whereas the AE have. Not too big a deal considering splitters are easily available, but still worth considering.

Also, they don't even come in the same price league nor do they target the same market.

AE costs around Rs30000 whereas Swan is a 2.1 which costs about Rs21000 or so inc sub. I am sure that Swan bookshelves in a comparable range could perhaps easily outdo the AE overall. M50W only has satellites. Not bookshelves.

If you don't have much rear space on your table, at least around 8-12in then it is better to get Swan if you have space for the sub as they are front ported. However purely for music 2.0 bookshelves by AE will probably be better. However, some people may prefer Swan even for music or perhaps find them nearly as good considering they are cheaper and with a sub. For movies/games the swan might win because of the sub, not sure.

Also, Swan are loud. But only for a mid sized or med/large room. They are comfortable at 25-35%+ volume. AE are loud enough for a hall. I listen to them at 10-15% volume. They are much louder. But at loud volumes swan seem more comfortable while AE appears to be screaming because of the powerful and overwhelming sound.

I won't really say which is better as it depends on your needs and preferences. But I prefer audioengine however both are pretty good, especially at what they do.

Also, I have also listened to Swan M10 which just costs Rs8600 or so. It is nearly the same as the M50W in terms of sound except with less quantity of bass and not as powerful bass but bass which is tighter. And it doesn't play as loud but still loud enough for a small to small/med room. Honestly, if bass isn't a priority and nor is the volume, then I would take M10 over M50W any day as they are nearly equally good. Even M10 has more forward and audible mids compared to AE5. For the price I say they are better than AE2 I guess which cost nearly twice as much. I haven't heard AE2 though and I am sure they have their merits as well.

But honestly, nothing comes close to M10 in their price range, not Bose/JBL. And even otherwise, M50W do a nice job in their price range but nowhere close to the VFM of M10.

Thanks of the review. A friend of mine has the A2 and I always felt they were exceptional. I've never auditioned the Swan so can't comment.

Ya. I am sorry. But I hate taking pics. Anyway, I have returned all the speakers except Micro and M50W. And will be returning Micro for Mini+ in a few months. Thanks to awesome customer service I received from the dealers :)

Anyway, I have returned all the speakers except Micro and M50W.

Thanks to awesome customer service I received from the dealers :)
As per the Indian Swan dealer's policies, goods can only be returned if they are defective. So were the other Swans defective or did the dealer send it for review? If the dealer sent it for review, please disclose so in your post since its not good customer service, its just smart PR - which the Indian Swan dealer is already very good at doing on forums :)

@Crazy_Eddy

Could you please tell us that what exactly do you want from us? :)

He has only reviewed and compared the speakers and you have turned his review into altercation.

That's not what We expected from you as you are a super moderator.

There are many people out there on techenclave who do review their bought gear but you have never raised any objection on their review. That's really not a gentleman thing to do which you are doing.

If you really have any objection on the product's range offered by us aka HiFiNage so please do inform us. We will gladly consider that.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it called buying, if you buy something just for the sake of reviewing it, review it, then return it and get your money back?
Seems like an unwanted hassle to review something from hifinage.

Is it called buying, if you buy something just for the sake of reviewing it, review it, then return it and get your money back?
Seems like an unwanted hassle to review something from hifinage.

He never bought anything from us just for the sake of review. If you buy anything let say, Swan M10 from us and you liked the sound of it and want to go to higher range like Swan M50W and you come up with a review and comparison of Swan with your existing speakers. So what's wrong with it?

You can review whatever you want?

We are not getting that why you guys are taking it in another direction?

First off, it seems there is an issue when a dealer defends a review or reviewer. This is called 'conflict of interest' and as per proper business ethics it makes sense if you were to stay out of review threads totally unless it is to clarify a pricing or technical query. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with anybody except you and the TS.

Second, the 'review', if you can call it that, really seems to be very short on detail and very long on words. It has no objectivity, the tracks used were not mentioned, and there are no photographs so we do not know anything about where the speakers were placed or what the environment was, or pictures of the review units. Using the words 'review' for this kind of a post is very optimistic.

Lest you feel we are witch-hunting, here is a nice take on the M50: http://www.head-fi.org/t/568149/some-impressions-of-the-swan-m50w and note that the reviewer has not even called it a review, but 'impressions'. Your 'guy' has basically compared brands, the entire post is about Swans vs. Audioengine, and he's compared three frequency ranges.

Then there is the whole issue of what equipment he owns and returns, and from who. Akshay is a well-known figure hereabouts with a well-established track record, for better or worse. You can assume that there will be some questions about his operating methods and none of those are above suspicion and ethics. Whereas it is perfectly within his bounds to keep sending back stuff after 'reviewing' it, it no longer belongs to the user and therefore is not a user review, and since it's not an official review sample provided by you, it's not even a traditional review where the dealer keeps specific samples to be sent out to reviewers. The entire business model smells bad. As Eddy mentioned, if these are user-returned, what happens to them? Are they sold as NIB retail, or marked down? Is there a restocking fee you charge to cover the cost incurred from the return?

There are some very good reasons why dealers always stay out of review threads, and this is one: You get cornered by all sorts of nasty questions. If you are doing business in any field, it pays to know the nuances of that field. It is as of now a cheap PR gimmick, where everybody, including you, are getting ripped off by an inept reviewer.

Lest you feel we are witch-hunting, here is a nice take on the M50: http://www.head-fi.org/t/568149/some-impressions-of-the-swan-m50w and note that the reviewer has not even called it a review, but 'impressions'. Your 'guy' has basically compared brands, the entire post is about Swans vs. Audioengine, and he's compared three frequency ranges.

Since it's not an official review sample provided by you, it's not even a traditional review where the dealer keeps specific samples to be sent out to reviewers. The entire business model smells bad. As Eddy mentioned, if these are user-returned, what happens to them? Are they sold as NIB retail, or marked down? Is there a restocking fee you charge to cover the cost incurred from the return?

Dear Cranky,

We are very much aware of the review link which you have posted in your post. Kindly click the Awards & Reviews tab by visiting the Swan M50W's product page of our website and you will find this same link.

We do not have any command on anyone that how is he going to review. We have already charged him restocking fee and that product has already been sold with a discount.

Thank you!

We have already charged him restocking fee and that product has already been sold with a discount.

Frankly, this is what your participation should have been about. That would have kept it totally professional instead of degenerating into what clearly looks like a nice PR stunt.

Good Luck!

Dear Cranky,

I am not speaking from my company's point of view.

But you might have seen that I have even stopped replying in audio zone suggesting the products even though the products available with us got rave reviews and everyone is happy with those products. We stopped recommending because you guys think that We are doing marketing of our products.

If the products available with us are of bad quality and then also We boast those products claiming that these are the best then you guys can say that this is totally wrong, you cannot do this, you are doing this as you are the dealer.

I hope you understand my point of view and the meaning of this post.

I am still unable to get that why this review turned into such altercation as it's just a simple review. We really do not know anyone's history but members shouldn't include OP's history when we have already said that he actually bought the speakers from us and he actually have all the three speakers and he even listed his AE5 for sale in sale/trade section.

Unfortunately - and this is the problem - once you are the dealer *every* post of yours is scrutinised for a potential conflict of interest. This is not just you, but every dealer. Forum users tend to be very paranoid about being bamboozled by a reviewer-dealer nexus, which exists and always has, except that reviewers in India tend be generally quite idiotic and the reviews are telltale of the nexus itself.

Also note that the review is exceptionally poor in quality, hence the issue and the suspicion of impropriety is compounded. Had it been of higher quality a lot is forgiven. We do have many examples of terrible reviews, and we do raise red flags (ask the mods about the number of reviews I raise my heckles in, most of those never hit the public eye). However this is the first time that a dealer steps in so obviously to defend a review and reviewer. This is basically, not done. It doesn't matter what your intentions are, your actions seem to point the eagerness of saying that this is legit, and that is just making it worse.

There is no need to do that. Readers will take what they will out of it. Sometimes you must learn to let things run their course. If TS wants to defend he will, if not he won't. You have a very biased interest in the topic and it's better to not participate than raise the suspicion levels by being so vigorous. Nobody's bashing or praising the product, we have noticed that. The question to which you responded did not need a response. The whole circle of clarification has seeded doubt, which you have cleared and it's better we leave things as they are, people will believe what they want to and what they will.

Back