OC & Modding Swapping UPS battery for larger capacity?

Sealed batteries aren't actually sealed, if you pop the cover off you can access the electrolyte.
Yes, you're right. The "sealed" in the marketing is false though. My APC is also at fault here. It remains hot forever and the batteries are sleeping in the side.

I have few stains of the acid in my table now.

Yes, you're right. The "sealed" in the marketing is false though. My APC is also at fault here. It remains hot forever and the batteries are sleeping in the side.

I have few stains of the acid in my table now.
Probably the float voltage is set to high and is cooking the battery.

Sealed batteries aren't actually sealed, if you pop the cover off you can access the electrolyte.
So is it possible to top up the electrolyte like in the inverter batteries?

Buy the above model used market. For this model APC has an external battery pack with 4 nos 9ah batteries and this unit itself has 2no 7ah batteries. So, the charger circuit in this unit supports upto total of 42ah capacity. Mod the used UPS & you can safely use 2no 25ah capacity batteries with it. That should give you plenty of backup for one computer.
Really like the idea will have to lookout for one

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is. That's if you can buy electrolyte, where I live we can only buy distilled water.
thinking about it, I really need to have power for the short power interruptions for my monitor and laptop. The monitor max power is 43 watts. The laptop should take less power. Can a 1000VA ups enough to supply power for 45 mins to 1 hour?

thinking about it, I really need to have power for the short power interruptions for my monitor and laptop. The monitor max power is 43 watts. The laptop should take less power. Can a 1000VA ups enough to supply power for 45 mins to 1 hour?
If your total power consumption is 100 watts, then you could easily get 1-1.5 Hours of Backup from 2X7Ah batteries. You can easily calculate backup time by {Battery Capacity (in Ah) * Input voltage (V) / Total Load (in Watts)}*0.8 (Efficiency). So, ( 7 * 24 / 100) * 0.8 = 1.344 hours of backup on 100watt load.

If your total power consumption is 100 watts, then you could easily get 1-1.5 Hours of Backup from 2X7Ah batteries. You can easily calculate backup time by {Battery Capacity (in Ah) * Input voltage (V) / Total Load (in Watts)}*0.8 (Efficiency). So, ( 7 * 24 / 100) * 0.8 = 1.344 hours of backup on 100watt load.
That's theoretical, I'd say a max of 1 hour at best (on a good day)

That's theoretical, I'd say a max of 1 hour at best (on a good day)
yes even if we get 80% of theory it is good enough. Will have to get one fast. I am used to the 27inch monitor with external keyboard and mouse display connected to my laptop atleast for the last several years. It is is annoying to look into the laptop when the power is gone.

Back