Budget 41-50k Switch over to 12th gen intel

So I have 5800x plus b450m mortar max with gskil 3800mhz rams, My question is should I sell off the 5800x plus board now and use my secondary 1700+ asrock b450 pro4 till intel 12th gen and next gen amd is launched ?

I generally play on 4k and do some basic work like running vms and stuff, 1700 should give similar performance to 5800x at 4k with a 3060ti.

I am only skeptical because the investment over my current combo would be higher then what the returns would be switching over.

Any advise and suggestions appreciated.

If running VMs is a priority, makes more sense to jump over to the 5950X rather than a 12th Gen Intel. For 4K gaming, as you have said, it won't make much of a difference, if at all. My advice would be stick with the 5800X and wait for the 5000 series refresh with the 3D VCache coming in by end of this year. If you need more cores then get the refresh of 5900X or 5950X , otherwise stick with what you have. Unless you need some Intel-specific features.

Yep, stick with it. Is the 5800x not meeting your requirements? There's no reason to sell it in anticipation of Alder Lake. If anything, wait till Alder Lake is out and see the reviews before jumping ship.

5900x 5950x is for ages ,for that matter i would put my neck out and say that whole ryzen series is for ages can compare to intels x58 platform ,sandy bridge and 4 gen .The scalability on core count is superb + the IPC uplift without changing boards rams etc

I agree on those points however what worries me about this 5800x is even with state of the art cooling solution like galahad 360 aio the chip reaches 80c on full load. i own 1st,2nd and now 5th gen R7 and this chip is worst of them all when comparing cooling, I built this system in hopes of not switching hardware for atleast 5 years however i am not sure with this amount of heat the silicone would last that long.

Other parts of the system like vrm's, gpu and ssd stay well under control temp wise. Hence i was considering switching back to old gen till something new comes and then upgrade.

80c during stress tests or normal workload? That temp won't hurt it. Zen 3 is completely different when it comes to this compared to the previous generations. By design they boost as much as they can within the thermal and power limits. So given some breathing room, and if there's a need, they'll boost more often and so result in higher temps. But with your cooler, maybe the temp can be a little lower but if 80c is the highest you've seen it go you don't have to worry. As long as you don't run it at 90c always you'll be fine, though these chips are fine up to 95c.
Use curve optimizer and you'll be able to bring the temps down but before that I'd suggest checking with other 5800x owners, reseating the cooler, and checking the cooling system as a whole.

i have heavily tuned everything using curve optimizer, single core boost is upto 4.9ghz and all core hover between 4.55-4.6ghz...normal workload's temps are under 72-73...all core workload gets to 80c and stress test i have seen max 82c on a hot day. Everywhere i have read it says its going to be fine but looking at older gens it makes me wonder of long term stability :D

I think all core 80c is completely fine, unless you're pushing all the cores always. If your idle temps are low then I'd say you're all good and your cooling setup has no issues.

i have heavily tuned everything using curve optimizer, single core boost is upto 4.9ghz and all core hover between 4.55-4.6ghz...normal workload's temps are under 72-73...all core workload gets to 80c and stress test i have seen max 82c on a hot day. Everywhere i have read it says its going to be fine but looking at older gens it makes me wonder of long term stability :D
I've run a 2200G for 95C 24x7 for about a month, have noticed absolutely zero degradation from that. I think you should be good with 80C 24x7 operation even.

Back