System Clock Lags but Date Accurate ?

Emperor

Skilled
Hi,

Notice Windows Boot taking too much time to load & starts, one external app showing it's taking 25-30 seconds.

While Boot, Cabinet Fan + Processor Fan (Both) Some time but one time only with fresh starts stops for fraction of seconds and starts normally again.

Noticed that System clock lags by 5 minutes while no issue with date. Corrected 2-3 times still... again same issue.

Also noticed that in Bios 2 settings under CHIPSET TAB (DVMT Pre-Allocated and DVMT Total GFX Mem) some time disappears and some time appears normally.

If CMOS battery fails than it should change Date/Time
BOTH, but here just time and that too by few minutes?

In last 12 days did Clean Install for Windows 2 times, still issue persist.

Any suggestion/Solution?

Regards.

CMOS battery is going weak hence it either results in not maintaining the date/time consistency and storing proper parameters for a few settings.
You can try changing the battery and also reset your bios to its defaults and then set every parameters as required and this should take care of both the issues.

CMOS battery is going weak hence it either results in not maintaining the date/time consistency and storing proper parameters for a few settings.
You can try changing the battery and also reset your bios to its defaults and then set every parameters as required and this should take care of both the issues.
some local, cheap copy of Maxell 2032 etc. available for Rs.20-30, wish to buy Duracell, dealer ask 2 days for Duracell 2032. thanks for suggestion

Just update for all who may face some weird issue with system, while you are sure that you didn't downloads any malicious things and not did any setting or mess with windows settings. or may facing some weird issue even after Clean Installation of Windows Operating system.

Just change Cell (Battery) on Motherboard, I replaced old battery with new Duracell 2032 (Rs.40/- Mfg.2022- Exp.2033) and found various issue solved including one famous Windows 41 Kernel Critical Error.
Was using Nvidia GT 710 GPU for Display and if I remove it, display get distortion and that issue also solved. Now I can use onboard graphic also (i3-6100).

Was thinking to change Battery, was not sure that issue will solved or not, but after suggestion, decide to change battery on priority basis.. Thanks to @nRiTeCh

Last edited:
Just update for all who may face some weird issue with system, while you are sure that you didn't downloads any malicious things and not did any setting or mess with windows settings. or may facing some weird issue even after Clean Installation of Windows Operating system.

Just change Cell (Battery) on Motherboard, I replaced old battery with new Duracell 2032 (Rs.40/- Mfg.2022- Exp.2033) and found various issue solved including one famous Windows 41 Kernel Critical Error.
Was using Nvidia GT 710 GPU for Display and if I remove it, display get distortion and that issue also solved. Now I can use onboard graphic also (i3-6100).

Was thinking to change Battery, but was not sure that issue will solved or not, but after suggestion, decide to change battery on priority basis.. Thanks to @nRiTeCh
Kudos! I wasn't aware of any Kernel Critical Errors also getting resolved via a simple battery change but its surely is an eye opener for those who pit their a$$ against the system keeping reinstalling entire windows yet not net getting such issue resolved. A new discovery would say!

To conclude, its only the battery which helps retain any information in the cmos chip and during or after boot if the battery looses its charge or is weak on charge then all of a sudden issue can arise. There are even incidents where continuously using weak batteries have resulted in bios getting corrupted.

while we use system as usual and suddenly notice any issue at that time really hard to strike that a CMOS Battery may be culprit, so when any issue strike, just try to check system time if there is a mismatch of 3-5 minutes or more than should change to battery first, before trying ANY THING.

Also while on hunt for new battery (2032) found that
  1. Rs.20/- Maxell battery was selling for Rs.60/-,
  2. Rs.40/- Duracell battery was selling for Rs.80/-.
  3. Rs.40/- Panasonic was selling for Rs.100/-
Finally, visit local electric hardware shop, with zero hops that he may have that battery but with big surprise he has and bought for Rs.40/- Duracell

Moral of story, avoid so called big electrical shops/watch showrooms, fancy shop with AC etc. stretch leg little more explore local retail market and find out offline shop that sold stuff equal or lesser than online shops/ecommerce.

But the thing is, windows by default is set to update time via online time update servers so even if the bios battery is working incorrectly the system time shouldn't be wrong as long as system has internet connectivity. Graphics display issues can be attributed to graphics card if removing it resolves the issue via integrated graphics so that's expected. As for windows 41 kernel critical error it may be possible that replacing the bios battery cell also reset bio default so some earlier non-default bios option was causing the kernel 41 issue. Or it might be that user somehow disabled the auto time update options in windows resulting in mismatch of few minutes between correct & system time despite having internet connectivity that might also cause issues in windows because of how time stamps are used for calculating/processing some critical system processes.
@nRiTeCh

But the thing is, windows by default is set to update time via online time update servers so even if the bios battery is working incorrectly the system time shouldn't be wrong as long as system has internet connectivity.
Yes, system is connected with internet and I also did auto sync and it start showing correct time but after some time, time starts lagging by 7 minutes.

Graphics display issues can be attributed to graphics card if removing it resolves the issue via integrated graphics so that's expected.
no, have no issue with Graphic Card but, read some where that GT 710 GDDR5 is works lower than i3-6100 iGPU, so was trying to remove card and use onboard iGPU, but at that time onboard iGPU was not working/displaying correctly, after battery replacement iGPU display issue solved.

As for windows 41 kernel critical error it may be possible that replacing the bios battery cell also reset bio default so some earlier non-default bios option was causing the kernel 41 issue.
Before replacing Battery, Windows took little more time to boot/load and cabinet fan + cpu fan BOTH starts with on & off (jerk) for fraction of seconds, now noticed little time enhancement in boot and also BOTH fan starts as usual without any jerk... will monitor same for more 2-3 days and will post here if issue persists.

Or it might be that user somehow disabled the auto time update options in windows resulting in mismatch of few minutes between correct & system time despite having internet connectivity that might also cause issues in windows because of how time stamps are used for calculating/processing some critical system processes.
I still kept Site Time Automatically setting ON and Set Time Zone Automatically setting OFF

I still kept Site Time Automatically setting ON and Set Time Zone Automatically setting OFF
Yes, system is connected with internet and I also did auto sync and it start showing correct time but after some time, time starts lagging by 7 minutes.
This should not happen unless you rebooted the pc in between. The issues faced by your pc earlier were likely due to this time issue but its cause might be not just cmos battery but also something in your windows install which was interfering with correct time sync online via internet. Now that cmos battery is new so pc can use it to get the correct time without using internet time server.

Now that cmos battery is new so pc can use it to get the correct time without using internet time server.
Doesn't work that way. CMOS time is the actual pc time set and stored in the chip. It comes handy for PCs having no internet access.
Since winxp we have time server sync feature but it was buggy back then.
It was improvised on later windows versions and now if you even set an incorrect bios time, once you boot in windows pc having internet access the time sync reflects the current time and changes are made to the OS and so to the BIOS as well.
You can try that esp. with UEFI bios this is how it works but I think it even worked on Legacy bios.

@nRiTeCh @guest_999 & others,

Following is Pre-Allocated RAM setting in my system Bios
  1. DVMT Pre-Allocated 64 MB
  2. DVMT Total GFX Mem 256 MB
now my system total have 12GB RAM, so should kept Memory Allocated same as above for above 2 .... or does it make any difference if increased it to Double, Triple or to 1GB Each?

now my system total have 12GB RAM, so should kept Memory Allocated same as above for above 2 .... or does it make any difference if increased it to Double, Triple or to 1GB Each?
If you are using onboard graphics you should increase it to 512mb at least or try the max value which should be 1 or 2gb for optimum graphics exp. and gaming if the GPU is capable of. If you are using a dedicated GPU this value doesn't count irrespective of what you set as only when you detach the gpu these values come in play.

If you are using onboard graphics you should increase it to 512mb at least or try the max value which should be 1 or 2gb for optimum graphics exp. and gaming if the GPU is capable of. If you are using a dedicated GPU this value doesn't count irrespective of what you set as only when you detach the gpu these values come in play.
Yes, done as below (as in both maximum allow that much only)
  1. DVMT Pre-Allocated 64 MB 1024 MB
  2. DVMT Total GFX Mem 256 MB MAX (set as MAX, as only {128 - 256 - Max} these 3 options available)

Last edited:
Doesn't work that way. CMOS time is the actual pc time set and stored in the chip. It comes handy for PCs having no internet access.
Since winxp we have time server sync feature but it was buggy back then.
It was improvised on later windows versions and now if you even set an incorrect bios time, once you boot in windows pc having internet access the time sync reflects the current time and changes are made to the OS and so to the BIOS as well.
You can try that esp. with UEFI bios this is how it works but I think it even worked on Legacy bios.
I know but what I meant was that there are cases where due to some windows issue/service corruption the windows time update does not work correctly even with internet connectivity or does not keep working correctly once the person manually sync windows time using internet connection. In that case if bios is also not able to provide correct time because of weak/non-functioning battery then entire system is using incorrect time which can cause many issues.

i3 6100 integrated graphics is Intel HD530 which is quite weak so even 512mb ram should be enough for it for desktop rendering & playing HD videos. As for current 256mb max ram I think one can open task manager & check the memory usage under gpu section to see if 256mb is almost being entirely used which should indicate if 256mb ram is enough or not for current usage.

Back