System freeze

Vinny_Nbr

Disciple
Hi Gang,
My specs are i5-6500, GTX 750 Ti, 8 GB DDR4, Samsung EVO 250 GB SSD, B150M DS3H mobo, CX 430 PSU, Windows 10 Pro Ultimate 64 bit.
I know they are kinda old, but still work well with the games I play - POE, Last Epoch, PSO2 etc.

Of late, i am experiencing full system freeze after few minutes of gaming. I have to force reset the CPU. It boots normally and logs in to windows.
I have all windows update done, including mobo drivers and GPU drivers. I even tried using older GPU drivers, but no difference.

Few entries in windows event viewer throw up -
Error 10010 The server Microsoft.SkypeApp_15.68.96.0_x86__kzf8qxf38zg5c!App.AppXtwmqn4em5r5dpafgj4t4yyxgjfe0hr50.mca did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
Critical 10111 The device HID-compliant headset (location (unknown)) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash.
Critical 10110 A problem has occurred with one or more user-mode drivers and the hosting process has been terminated. This may temporarily interrupt your ability to access the devices.

I ran OCCT tests, and it freezes within minutes on CPU/Power tests. I have attached a screenshot. PSU rails seem to be ok, and temps are not bad. Any advice on what could be the issue - PSU, NVIDIA drivers, Windows update, etc?

Cheers
V
OCCT_12042020.jpg

Did you do any undervolt/overclocking? You might want to reset these and test.

My suggestion is to boot your PC in safe mode and run these stress tests first. If it still crashes then it suggests something might be wrong with your hardware or BIOS. You mentioned these are old parts so I wouldn't be surprised if something is fried. If it doesn't crash and appears to hold up fine, then it suggests software issues like drivers, SDKs and the like

Did you do any undervolt/overclocking? You might want to reset these and test.

My suggestion is to boot your PC in safe mode and run these stress tests first. If it still crashes then it suggests something might be wrong with your hardware or BIOS. You mentioned these are old parts so I wouldn't be surprised if something is fried. If it doesn't crash and appears to hold up fine, then it suggests software issues like drivers, SDKs and the like
Nope all are on stock settings. If i just use the system for Netflix/Primevideo/Youtube it will run without any issues for hours. Its vexing not knowing which part to fix :).

Nope all are on stock settings. If i just use the system for Netflix/Primevideo/Youtube it will run without any issues for hours. Its vexing not knowing which part to fix :).
What do the event logs say after you reboot after a freeze?
Have you updated the bios? Try updating.

Hmm the temps are high , arent they. Fan seems to be working, what could be the problem. I tried installing Gigabytes SIV to control fans, but the software is stuck on loading screen. I gave up on that.
SS below on last CPU stress test, before it crashed. Could it be a thermal paste issue? or the fan itself?

20210412_23322012.jpg

What do the event logs say after you reboot after a freeze?
Have you updated the bios? Try updating.
Bios is updated to latest. Event logs throw up quite often the 3 entries I mentioned in original post.

SS below on last CPU stress test, before it crashed. Could it be a thermal paste issue? or the fan itself?
Reseat the cpu if possible and replace thermal paste. Check for fan RPM. Disable any fan curve and run at full speed to check if that solves the problem. Undervolt as much as possible without compromising stability. Are you using aftermarket tower cooler? If not, try investing in one if budget permits.

if you're on Win 10 20H2, see if SearchApp.exe or SearchUI.exe causing application hang - their behavior is similar to what you have described. Their is a fix for it.

Back