Budget 0-20k System upgrade for virtualization.

cybertechie

Disciple
Hello all,

I have been training myself to get into a server admin profile and i need a decent machine to run Virtual machines to create a lab. I'm in a bit of fix. I have got 2 systems unfortunately both are kind of under-powered for the task i intend to do. I need to run at-least 1 server OS and around 4 client machines in one system. To keep the system requirements low , client machines are combinations windows 8 and windows 7 32 bit ( assigned 1 Gb Ram each) .

Here are my options. I have added my desktop and laptop specs in the template.

Desktop : Since the processor is just a dual core with hyper-threading it does not seem like will handle multiple Vm's and moreover i do not have any free RAM slot left on the mobo. 8 GB is kind of low for my purpose. Both slots are already occupied with 4 Gb sticks reach

Laptop : On paper has 2 cores and 4 HT however not sure how it will perform. I have run 3 client and 1 server OS on this laptop and it ran decently. Only bottleneck was RAM. my initial plan was to replace the 2 Gb stick with a 8 gb one which will give me 12 gigs.

AMD based config( AMD 8320 with 970 mobo): I read online that AMD can be excellent for VM's. I was contemplating about selling my i3 proccy and mobo and buy an AMD processor with a mobo that supports 4 RAM slots. I can use my existing RAM and on top of it, i can add another 8 GB stick to push it to 16Gb. but this option will cost me dearly. My priority at this point in time is to get the lab running with minimum investment.

1. What is your budget?
    • 12-15kk
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel I3 2120
    • Motherboard - Asus H81
    • GPU - ATI 6770
    • RAM - Corsair 4 Gb x 2 1333 Mhz
    • Monitor - Dell 20 inch
    • PSU - Corsair Cx 430
I have a laptop too which i bought recently . Specs are:
Intel I5 4210U processor
4 x 2 DDR3 1600 Mhz Ram
120 Gb SSD + 500 GB WD

1. you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Dell 20 inch
    • GPU - 6770
    • PSU - Corsair Cx430
    • laptop
  1. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - AMD 8320
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
    • RAM : 8 GB
  2. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
    • RAM
  3. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • New Delhi
    • Open to online purchase
  4. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  5. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Running as a server with multiple VM's
    • Browsing
  6. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • NA
  7. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • NA
    • Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes
  8. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows server 2012 R2
    • Windows 8, windows 7

You have already decided CPU.

Mobo - Asus M5A97
Add 8GB extra RAM

If you are tight on budget then use same mobo and go with AMD FX 6300

Back